Eric Burnett

Weekend Thread | Argylle 1.7 Previews

6 hours ago, Maggie said:

Honestly, this spring and summer look really lame. Too many sequels to not that exciting movies. Godzilla vs Kong, Planet of the Apes look like surefire flops. 

Fall looks better.

Yeah, this year is awful. I'll only pay to see Deadpool and Joker. Maybe Gladiator or Wolfs if reviews are really good.

6 hours ago, emoviefan said:

Just saw the Beekeeper. Pretty good. Better than the average Jason Statham solo star vehicle. I can see why the WOM and legs are better. It feels like it has a John Wick mythology it can expand upon in sequels if they were to make any. As long as they keep the budget in the 35-45 m range with the post covid theatrical changes sequels would not continue to rise ala Wick but I could see staying in that 50-70 m DOM range this will finish with.  And if David Ayer keeps making movies like this I will not complain. 

Good for Ayer. He seems like a good egg with a decent level of talent. Hopefully this helps him finally move on from Suicide Squad as he's wasted a lot of his time and energy online mulling over Would've Could've Should'ves and trying to push for the dead elephant that is the Ayer Cut in the last few years.

• Like 1

I don't think the strikes had much of an impact on the early part of this year, this was pretty much down to studios preferring to dump most of their crap on streaming rather than theaters as they might have years prior. I will say maybe in a better timeline Orion and the Dark is not a Netflix movie and is getting a theatrical release this weekend. Elio is probably the biggest casualty of the first quarter, though theoretically Dune 2 getting bumped to its slot would help offset that. 

Personally there is a quite a bit of under-the-radar stuff expected this year that interests me, I can only hope a lot of that actually delivers.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

The trend so far this year has been the Ms letting us down. Migration is going to end up with just "normal" legs for a holiday kids movie, and Mean Girls really dropped off after its solid opening. Madame Web, unless they're inexplicably concealing a really good film, looks like it's also going to continue the superhero slump. In short, audience reception is still by and large an issue here.

22 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

Kinda want to see it now. 

Katie Walsh convinced me to watch it by writing this:

“Argylle has bone-deep structural issues on a fundamental level, but it is also a failure of directorial execution from top to bottom, resulting in what has to be one of the most expensive worst movies ever made. It’s honestly fascinating — something that should be studied in a lab.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Argylle has a 200m budget???? Wtf. I thought this was like a 50-80m mid tier production.

I don't think we know Argylle budget, but it seems Apple bought it for 200m.

Edited by Kon

2 hours ago, dallas said:

I think Dune 2, Kung Fu Panda 4, Godzilla x Kong, and Civil War will be hits. Don't know about anything else through April. 

Horror tends to be successful so Imaginary, The First Omen and Abigail can also be consider hits if the budgets are not too high

I think the only movie that is completely safe from this year no matter what the reviews are is Despicable Me 4. The other potential big players (Deadpool 3, Inside Out 2, Gladiator 2, Joker 2, Beetlejuice 2, Mufasa...) will need good critics and audience scores to live to their full potential. Some will just do just ok if reviews are bad (Inside Out 2, Joker 2...) and some will straight up bomb (Gladiator 2, Mufasa).

• Like 1

I watched My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3 yesterday on streaming and it's awful. Even 2 was watchable but this one is basically edited like the Taken 3 fence jumping scene throughout. There's no plot, it's basically "Family goes to Greece to vacation and then comes back to Chicago". Pretty sure everyone signed up to get a free Greek vacation.

There are 6 production companies, so the first 5 minutes was literally this

• Haha 3

I just watched Argylle and while it has plenty of flaws, I question mental sanity of everyone who seriously believes this is the worst movie ever made or anywhere near it, Jurassic World sequels alone are much worse than this, at least this one has some really creative moments and cast is clearly having a blast. Shame it did this poorly.

5 hours ago, Avatree said:

Argylle has a 200m budget???? Wtf. I thought this was like a 50-80m mid tier production.

Rambo 5 cost 50 mln officially (and it looks much cheaper than 16 mln Nobody or 20 mln John Wick), do you really believe it looks as cheap as Rambo 5 with its cast and number of action sequences?

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1