cannastop

Moana 2 | November 27, 2024

I genuinely think this movie could be huge. Those streaming numbers are insane. And indicating by the trailer views, there seems to be real interest.

I predict 130m for the 5-day and 85 million for the three day. 

Just now, AnthonyJPHer said:

I genuinely think this movie could be huge. Those streaming numbers are insane. And indicating by the trailer views, there seems to be real interest.

I predict 130m for the 5-day and 85 million for the three day. 

My goodness. I forgot this kind of numbers could exist because of how anemic the past Thanksgiving weekends have been.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

This year is Disney just unleashing all its biggest IPs to remind ppl who keeps the lights on at theatres

Yup. And will always end up being the case even if they have down years. They're just bound to return. 

And we need other Studios to continue to perform too like last year Universal and WB did. We need to get the best of all of these Studios.

• Like 2

We have been looking at joker2,DM4,IO2 ,DP3 as the biggest but considering how big the original is streaming and how popular it's with kids.  Still have it at 800M+ but the ceiling for this is really  high (1.2/1.3B+) compared to the ones above. if things fall on place it could really blow up.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

We have been looking at joker2,DM4,IO2 ,DP3 as the biggest but considering how big the original is streaming and how popular it's with kids.  Still have it at 800M+ but the ceiling for this is really  high (1.2/1.3B+) compared to the ones above. if things fall on place it could really blow up.

Yup. Could be a stealthy 2024 Top 3 

1 hour ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

I honestly think this will gross more than Despicable Me 4

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Very real chance this is Disneys third billion dollar hit of the year 

Great comeback from Disney, considering the only $1b film they've had this decade was Avatar, until this year.

37 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Wonder if prior to Inside Out 2 Disney would have been ok with this matching the first but now idk would seem like a big underperformance. 

Unless it's literally unwatchable I don't see how it's possible. And Moana is much, much more popular than the first Inside Out 

Edited by SpiderByte

I'm wary of putting too much stock in streaming numbers, and I theorized that elemental was a boost to inside out interest so I wonder if the same principle holds with Strange World and Wish dampening initial enthusiasm for future WDA projects. Yes the teaser had a ton of social media views but that's also a very shaky metric when it comes to comparing them to eventual box office receipts.

I think it should match the original in admissions at least though ($300 million), and if it doesn't then maybe movieman ends up being proven right that it should've been a summer release

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

I'm wary of putting too much stock in streaming numbers, and I theorized that elemental was a boost to inside out interest so I wonder if the same principle holds with Strange World and Wish dampening initial enthusiasm for future WDA projects. Yes the teaser had a ton of social media views but that's also a very shaky metric when it comes to comparing them to eventual box office receipts.

I think it should match the original in admissions at least though ($300 million), and if it doesn't then maybe movieman ends up being proven right that it should've been a summer release

Moana has dominated Disney streaming for years and post Strange World and The Wish it still wound up the number 1 watched film last year according to Neilsen across all streaming services.

https://mickeyvisit.com/most-streamed-movies-disney/

1. Moana (11.6 billion mins viewed) (Disney+)

It is not too surprising to learn that Moana takes the top spot as the most-streamed movie in the U.S. in 2023. The movie, which premiered in 2016, has remained one of the most beloved and most-watched animated Disney stories since its release. Since Nielsen began measuring streaming, audiences have watched nearly 80 billion minutes of Moana—this translates to watching the full movie 775 million times. 

Sure it has a lot of repeat watches but huge numbers year in year out with a lot of other competition I think shows it's not just running on  a loop in the back ground in place of babysitting.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

And Moana is much, much more popular than the first Inside Out 

Based on what? It has more than twice less votes than Inside Out on imdb and lower rating, the same on letterboxd.

Edited by TomThomas

3 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Moana has dominated Disney streaming for years and post Strange World and The Wish it still wound up the number 1 watched film last year according to Neilsen across all streaming services.

https://mickeyvisit.com/most-streamed-movies-disney/

1. Moana (11.6 billion mins viewed) (Disney+)

It is not too surprising to learn that Moana takes the top spot as the most-streamed movie in the U.S. in 2023. The movie, which premiered in 2016, has remained one of the most beloved and most-watched animated Disney stories since its release. Since Nielsen began measuring streaming, audiences have watched nearly 80 billion minutes of Moana—this translates to watching the full movie 775 million times. 

Sure it has a lot of repeat watches but huge numbers year in year out with a lot of other competition I think shows it's not just running on  a loop in the back ground in place of babysitting.

I'm not denying the popularity of the first one, I'm just not sure that will translate to popularity of the second one as much. Inside Out 's box office performance is ridiculous, and I just feel it's more an anomaly than the beginning of a pattern.

Part of it also I guess is if the movie would still be profitable at a much lower box office number I just don't want to set expectations that much higher. I'm the one infamously guilty of defending the initial $85 mil tracking.

2 hours ago, TomThomas said:

Based on what? It has more than twice less votes than Inside Out on imdb and lower rating, the same on letterboxd.

It's been top of trending every day on Disney+ for pretty much the entirety of its existence. It was released 8 years ago. Children do not use letterboxd.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 1