cannastop

Moana 2 | November 27, 2024

1 hour ago, kayumanggi said:

I will be eating my words promptly.

Anyway, trailer seems solid. Animation looks fantastic, Moana's little sister seems like a great addition even if she's probably only going to be in the beginning and end of the movie. I do worry about this falling into the retread trap that a lot of Pixar sequels fall into (heck even the posters for this one are a retread of the first film), but that doesn't necessarily mean it'll be bad. We also don't see much of the new crew, and Disney... doesn't usually do a great job with a bloated cast tagging along on an adventure, although at least 2 of them are non-verbal.

Also, that's a lot of blow darts at the end there.

Edit: Should add that this is definitely going to be huge. I'm thinking $180M+ 5-day and well over $400M domestic, although I won't be too surprised if this does $200M+ for the 5-day. Should obliterate both Frozen's Thanksgiving records for the highest 5-day opening and highest 5-day total, which Zootopia 2 may or may not break next year.

Edited by PNF2187

Yeah, they seem to be going with the "ain't broke, don't fix it" strategy here. Selling it on the appeal of the characters and the soundtrack and not trying too hard to make kids laugh with record scratch one lines.

Moana 2 feeling a lot like the first Moana. Not surprising. IO2 proved that fans that want sequels that follow the same beats at the original. Nostalgia sells, just hope there is more new stuff too in the sequel. 

• Like 1

Rewatching the new trailer I noticed Moana has a new "team" she is going on her adventure with? Young guy, young girl, and old man.

Disney must be thinking long term with the new characters, they are building up the Moana universe and strengthening the brand like Frozen.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 2

While I love Moana as a character, I think the first movie is just Fine. It works. Where You Are is one of the best Disney songs in the past 10 years, top 3 easily.

Spoiler

1. Family Madrigal
2. Where You Are

3. All Is Found

This looks more like Fine, and yeah, they are definitely bulking this up to be A Brand like Frozen. Which I have no problem with honestly.

The animation looks really cheap and crappy. Theres way less detail and texture on backgrounds and objects compared to the first movie. Looks like a cheap TV cartoon.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 2

30 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I've realized there is no model for a successful post-pandemic Thanksgiving Disney movie. Encanto was hobbled by an early streaming announcement. Strange World was a bomb. Wish was a bomb.

It's amazing how hardly anybody ackowledge Strange World's existence anymore, and Wish is brought up once in a while, but it's also kind of fading to the point when people discuss the mega bombs of 2023, Wish is kind of an afterthought.  

• Like 2

On 8/13/2024 at 10:00 AM, cannastop said:

I've realized there is no model for a successful post-pandemic Thanksgiving Disney movie. Encanto was hobbled by an early streaming announcement. Strange World was a bomb. Wish was a bomb.

There's neither that nor a model for a Thanksgiving sequel of this caliber. Frozen 2 opened the weekend before, Ralph Breaks the Internet and Toy Story 2 unadjusted only opened near where the first Moana opened, and then beyond that there's a bunch of originals.

• Like 1

https://ew.com/moana-2-disney-aulii-cravalho-dwayne-johnson-cover-story-8710022

Pretty lengthy EW article on the movie. Interesting to hear about what the show would have been though. Kind of want to see what it was though, since this is starting to sound a bit like the crew's gonna suffer the same problems as the ones in Raya, Strange World, and Big Hero 6.

Also, gee, I wonder what the I Want song is going to be this time... there's no way they spelt it out for us in the article. Nope. No way.

Edited by PNF2187

13 minutes ago, PNF2187 said:

https://ew.com/moana-2-disney-aulii-cravalho-dwayne-johnson-cover-story-8710022

Pretty lengthy EW article on the movie. Interesting to hear about what the show would have been though. Kind of want to see what it was though, since this is starting to sound a bit like the crew's gonna suffer the same problems as the ones in Raya, Strange World, and Big Hero 6.

Also, gee, I wonder what the I Want song is going to be this time... there's no way they spelt it out for us in the article. Nope. No way.

Great that the marketing begin early , with the Gladiator/Wicked duet , it's important. What were the problems for Raya , Strange World and Big Hero 6 ?

“Originally, the TV series gave deeper, more involved arcs (and musical moments) to these characters that had to be significantly slimmed down for the film. "It all has to answer Moana's drive or Moana's conflict and seeing it through her eyes," Derrick says. "The [new characters] don't get their own tangents, but we were able to figure out who they are and boil them down to how they serve the story."

Welcome back, Raya

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Grand Cine said:

Great that the marketing begin early , with the Gladiator/Wicked duet , it's important. What were the problems for Raya , Strange World and Big Hero 6 ?

The problem I have with them (and that other people have brought up before) is a lot of supporting crew (the talking folk) that tags along is just sort of there and doesn't contribute much to the movie since they mostly end up being filler or forgettable despite being fairly prominent in the movie itself. They get a crew of like 5 or 6 on the team and most of them are woefully underbaked. A lot of time we do get a much more fleshed out dynamic between the two core characters, but sometimes we don't even get that. Big Hero 6's crew are at least entertaining at certain points in the story but they really aren't explored that much even though they were all close to Tadashi, Raya's crew gets some back story, but they're not nearly as fleshed out as they could have been (IMO Raya would have made a great TV show if they could expand on the others), and then the Strange World crew is almost entirely forgettable. I didn't mention Wish earlier, but that's probably the worst offender. There's like 7 of them in the movie, and at best they're all extremely dull, and it doesn't help that Asha isn't an exemplary protagonist.

They're already talking about how they had to cut a lot of the boat crew's storylines from the TV show to fit stuff into the movie. Hopefully it's not too much, but that's one portion I'm not entirely hopeful for.

• Like 1