filmlover

Weekend Thread: 2/9-11 | Deadline projects Argylle $6.6M Weekend #2, Lisa Frankenstein $4M

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

$3.8 million though? I can’t get over how awful that is.  One of the most shocking openings I can remember in the nearly three decades I’ve closely followed the US box office. 

Is it? Jennifer’s Body even adjusted opens to sub-10M. Why would a film with less star power, bad reviews, a smaller distributor, in a smaller audience market compared to 2009, with said audience only wanting to watch NTCs perform any better?

6 minutes ago, Eric Creed said:

Is it? Jennifer’s Body even adjusted opens to sub-10M. Why would a film with less star power, bad reviews, a smaller distributor, in a smaller audience market compared to 2009, with said audience only wanting to watch NTCs perform any better?

yeah, it is one of the most shocking. To me anyway.

I thought it looked like something that would open reasonably well with zero competition. It looked commercial enough to be able to muster something outside the top ten worst wide openings ever to my eyes. 

The marketing campaign must have just ended up being as weak and late as it gets. 

Edited by wildphantom

23 hours ago, baumer said:

First of all I've never heard of Robin Williams daughter, had no idea she was in the movies and I don't think 99% of the population know she's in movies either

I knew she was in TV/movies (She was in the last season of Legend of Korra) but I did not know until yesterday she directed Lisa Frankenstein.

was Turning Red considered a wide release or a one-week or so engagement? We got it at one of our 3 theaters, but the furthest one away. Sorry, but I wasn't going to drive that long for something I can watch at home. If it was local, I would have splurged the 8$.

39 minutes ago, Juliet said:

9 but it seems even in big markets like the UK its only spending a single week in the top 10

Mojo alone lists 12, but it's missing plenty (opened in Italy and Germany for instance but they're not on the list), though it seems to be DoA everywhere anyway...will be lucky if it makes it to the double digits at this point...

40 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

yeah, it is one of the most shocking. To me anyway.

I thought it looked like something that would open reasonably well with zero competition. It looked commercial enough to be able to muster something outside the top ten worst wide openings ever to my eyes. 

The marketing campaign must have just ended up being as weak and late as it gets. 

Did it though? I like the talent involved with Lisa Frankenstein but it always seemed like a difficult movie to market (always a pitfall when it comes to selling dark comedies). Think the only way this would've done any sort of business as if it had come out 4-5 years ago when Cole Sprouse was a semi-popular commodity thanks to Five Feet Apart/Riverdale when it was at its most buzzy and Stranger Things-esque nostalgic 80s fascination was at its pop culture peak.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

Box office is down astronomical but I didn't even realize Lisa Frankenstein was a movie until somebody corrected me in the weekend thread last weekend that there was a wide release coming this weekend. So not gonna cry wolf over that failing.

Still think Marley does well despite meh reviews. I'm dying on the hill! (50m+ domestic would be "well")

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Hoping for something with Drive-Away Dolls at the end of the month but not expecting much. Focus ain’t gonna have a good February it seems.

Want to be excited for it given the talent but have a feeling it's a dud since it traded one rather dumpy spot (its original late September date pre-strike) for an even dumpier late February one. I'll be surprised if it fares much better than Lisa Frankenstein did at this point.

Deadline article dropped.

Elsewhere, leading play for the studios, Sony’s soaring romcom Anyone But You dipped by just 30% this frame, adding $9.7M in 50 markets to bring the offshore cume to $90M and global to $170M. It has now overtaken Ticket to Paradise worldwide. Individual holds were again strong in such markets as Belgium (+1%), Australia (-4%), France (-9%), Spain (-18%), Brazil (-20%), UK (-24%), Netherlands (-25%) and Germany (-33%).

The Top 5 to date are Australia ($13.7M), UK ($12.6M), Germany ($10.3M), Mexico ($6.8M) and Italy ($5.6M). 

Apple Original Films’ Argylle dropped by 46% for a $9.4M overseas weekend, bringing the cume to $31.3M internationally and $60.1M global. Offshore, the movie is performing above The Man from U.N.C.L.E. and in line with The Gentlemen. Despite Matthew Vaughn’s popularity in Korea, the start there was a soft $753K at 520 locations. The Top 5 markets to date are the UK ($4.7M), Australia ($2.8M), France ($2.6M), Mexico ($2.6M) and Germany ($2.4M). China and Japan are still to come, in late February and early March, respectively. 

Warner Bros/Village Roadshow/Heyday Films’ Wonka generated an estimated $8.5M this weekend from 74 overseas markets. With $382.3M internationally, the global cume is approaching $600M currently with $587.6M.

After its terrific debut last frame, Wonka held No. 1 in Korea, dropping by just 16% during the Lunar New Year holiday weekend. In the market, the film has now surpassed the lifetime grosses of The Greatest Showman and Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore.

The UK continues to lead all play at $77.3M, followed by France ($30.1M), Mexico ($27M), Australia ($25.5M) and Germany ($24.3M).

Illumination/Universal’s Migration added $6.7M from 79 markets for an international cume of $125M and a worldwide running total of $235.2M. It debuted in Hong Kong, grossing $297K in a crowded market amid the commencement of the Lunar New Year festival. The opening came in well above Sing 2. Public holidays will run through February 13. In its sophomore frame in the UK, Migration was still No. 1. Now with $8.4M, it’s on par with Elemental and above Moana and Wish at the same point. Half term holidays begin this week. Germany has reached $18M, above Puss in Boots 2 and in line with Sing at the same point, surpassing the lifetimes of Elemental and Moana

Germany leads the Top 5 to date, followed by France ($11.1M), Australia ($10.3M), Mexico ($8.8M) and the UK ($8.4M). Japan releases March 15.

Searchlight’s 11-time Oscar nominee Poor Things saw a 34% decrease across 43 overseas markets, adding $6.6M to take the international total above $50M ($50.9M). Globally, the Emma Stone-starrer is now at $81.2M

Significant markets showing strong holds include Spain (-26%), Germany (-27%), Australia (-29%), Mexico (-30%), France (-31%), Brazil (-32%) and the UK (-38%).

New in the sessions was Netherlands with $500K for a start that’s 41% ahead of Yorgos Lanthimos’ The Favourite

With a total to date of $6.7M in Italy, Poor Things has already surpassed the lifetimes of Killers of the Flower Moon, The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes, Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One and Knives Out.

Italy is the No. 2 market, behind the UK with $8.2M. The Top 5 is rounded out by Mexico ($4.2M), Germany ($3.9M) and France ($3.4M). 

Korea comes on board March 6.

Also from Searchlight, All of Us Strangers now has a global cume of $10.4M, including $6.6M from international. Most major overseas markets open this month.

Edited by Last Man Standing

5 hours ago, grim22 said:

Warm Bodies did well with rotting corpses and no vampires. This one just didn't look like it knew who it was targeting outside goths.

Warm Bodies was from the guy zombie's POV and I don't think it was targeted primarily at women as a romcom but as an all-genders "zomcom" like Zombieland before it. It also came out at the best time for zombies in the early 2010s at the peak of The Walking Dead popularity and a couple of months before World War Z

I don't think you can make Frankenstein's monster desirable in any way. SNL even made a Twilight spoof for Taylor Swift's first appearance on the show with the entire premise being the absurdity of using Frankenstein like sexified vamps 

Edited by Spidey Freak

1 minute ago, Spidey Freak said:

Warm Bodies was from the guy zombie's POV and I don't think it was targeted primarily at women as a romcom but as an all-genders "zomcom" like Zombieland before it. It also came out at the best time for zombies in the early 2010s at the peak of The Walking Dead popularity and a couple of months before World War Z

I don't think you can make Frankenstein's monster desirable in any way. SNL even made a Twilight spoof for Taylor Swift's first appearance on the show with the entire premise being the absurdity of using Frankenstein like sexified vamps 

I will say Cole Sprouse was looking like a snack at certain points in the movie. Granted because there were moments he looked like Timothee, but still a snack either way.

• Like 1

It's time to admit Diablo Cody is no good. Juno aged like fish. Jennifer's Body, no matter how many retrospective articles are written, is terrible (the best thing about it are the gifs of Megan Fox sassily strutting or burning her tongue), Young Adult is flawed but her best, and Tully is a mess. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1