filmlover

Weekend Thread: 2/9-11 | Deadline projects Argylle $6.6M Weekend #2, Lisa Frankenstein $4M

4 minutes ago, Flopped said:

It's time to admit Diablo Cody is no good. Juno aged like fish. Jennifer's Body, no matter how many retrospective articles are written, is terrible (the best thing about it are the gifs of Megan Fox sassily strutting or burning her tongue), Young Adult is flawed but her best, and Tully is a mess. 

Nah.

• Like 2

Diablo Cody is excellent. I actually think Juno is her weakest, but still good.

Anyone But You beating Argylle this weekend internationally is hysterical. 

What a dreadful weekend. Poor Lisa. 

Opening to the same as Freaky, also starring Kathryn Newton, which opened during the pandemic. Ouch. 

4 hours ago, John Marston said:

a massive bomb that’s managed to slide under the radar 

Is it possible TCP miss the 70M even at worldwide box office? That would be pretty terrible.

TCP seems to have its international release on the last weeks of January, but I just heard about it international box office now.

GGEkdMhXMAAOtYK?format=jpg&name=large

1 hour ago, Flopped said:

It's time to admit Diablo Cody is no good. Juno aged like fish. Jennifer's Body, no matter how many retrospective articles are written, is terrible (the best thing about it are the gifs of Megan Fox sassily strutting or burning her tongue), Young Adult is flawed but her best, and Tully is a mess. 

I hate to admit it, but yeah she’s incredibly hit or miss. 

4 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Warm Bodies was from the guy zombie's POV and I don't think it was targeted primarily at women as a romcom but as an all-genders "zomcom" like Zombieland before it. It also came out at the best time for zombies in the early 2010s at the peak of The Walking Dead popularity and a couple of months before World War Z

I think you're onto something but it's still a romcom even if it has guy's POV leading to a 60% female OW. Zombieland is also partially a "road movie" and the marketing could stress "rules to survive a zombie apocalypse" zombie-com stuff.

Aside from picking a great date, distributor Summit Entertainment put together a really good marketing effort that clearly communicated the movie's intriguing premise (zombie falls in love with human girl, begins to come back to life) while also making the movie look like a lot of fun (always a solid choice to cut previews to The Black Keys' "Lonely Boy"). As expected, the audience skewed female (60 percent) and younger (65 percent under the age of 25); they gave the movie a "B+" CinemaScore, which improved to an "A" among the under-18 crowd.
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/article/ed3229484036/

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

22 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Diablo Cody is excellent. I actually think Juno is her weakest, but still good.

Anyone But You beating Argylle this weekend internationally is hysterical. 

What a dreadful weekend. Poor Lisa. 

Opening to the same as Freaky, also starring Kathryn Newton, which opened during the pandemic. Ouch. 

Freaky deserved better all around. Still pissed universal only ever released it on DVD in the UK, not even Bluray 😑

Freaky was fun and doesn't deserve the "forgotten" status it seems to have obtained. I like Kathryn Newton but that one project that would elevate her profile seems like it's going to forever elude her, especially when her future in the MCU is probably not looking too promising right now either. Also have to wonder how much longer she can continue playing teens like she does in Lisa Frankenstein. Big Little Lies Season 1/Lady Bird/Three Billboards are all turning 7 this year.

I know it's not much, but Turning Red did better than estimates, with actuals 8% higher than estimates. It did very well on SuperBowl Sunday, only declining 49% while most movies declined more than 60%. I think it proves that Turning Red would have been good as counterprogramming back in March 2022 when it was originally scheduled to be in theaters.

Edited by cannastop

@TwoMisfits

BTW Turning Red will have $5 tickets at AMC this coming weekend. Not as low as those Dreamworks/Illumination things with $2 tikeckts. Fewer showtimes than the past weekend. I wonder if it affects anything noticable in the numbers.

Edited by cannastop

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

Freaky was fun and doesn't deserve the "forgotten" status it seems to have obtained. I like Kathryn Newton but that one project that would elevate her profile seems like it's going to forever elude her, especially when her future in the MCU is probably not looking too promising right now either. Also have to wonder how much longer she can continue playing teens like she does in Lisa Frankenstein. Big Little Lies Season 1/Lady Bird/Three Billboards are all turning 7 this year.

She doesn’t seem to be meant for superstardom. I think she can continue having a good career as a b-c list actress in these small films. 

Edited by babz06