Eric the IF

Weekdays Thread (2/12-15) | V-Day #s: Marley 14, Web 6, ABY 1.2, Argylle 1.1

21 minutes ago, Reed121 said:

Bigger. A lot bigger.

BR could “only” do 52M and that was arguably as big as these biopics get. Michael I have no doubt will have more interest, but I feel that the controversy it’ll inevitably cause could hold it back on OW, especially if the movie isn’t marketed as a “concert movie” like BR was. 

The years since Michael's death have only lent credence to the pedophile rumors. For example, he was on the Epstein logs. His most ardent fans will never accept that. Question is, how many ardent fans are left? 

Edited by Driver
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Driver said:

The years since Michael's death have only lent credence to the pedophile rumors. For example, he was on the Epstein logs. His most ardent fans will never accept that. Question is, how many ardent fans are left? 

Until we know what those logs represented all that Epstein stuff is meaningless, and Elvis was an actual proven pedophile and his movie did just fine.

The last time we had movies release on Valentines day when it was a Wednesday was 2007. The two movies released on Valentines day 2007 dropped 67% and 76% respectively on their second day. So I'm expecting a hefty drop for both movies.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DAJK said:

BR could “only” do 52M and that was arguably as big as these biopics get. Michael I have no doubt will have more interest, but I feel that the controversy it’ll inevitably cause could hold it back on OW, especially if the movie isn’t marketed as a “concert movie” like BR was. 

while we’re on the subject of musical biopics, I did not have Ridley Scott’s Bee Gees movie on my bingo card.

Early prediction: one billion disco balls.

https://deadline.com/2024/02/ridley-scott-bee-gees-movie-1235827580/

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

41 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Straight Outta Compton opened to $60m so Brap is definitely not the ceiling domestically as far as OW goes.

And I don't believe that there is necessarily a hard ceiling on music biopics. Look at what's happened to videogame movies over the last few years. Before COVID the highest videogame OWs were in 40-60 range, but not exceeding it. Then Mario, Sonic 2, and FNAF exceeded that number big time.

Point is, there may be a "hard ceiling" on a franchise or a genre...until the right movie comes along, catches a pop culture way, and overperforms to a ridiculous degree. I don't know if MJ will be that movie, but if they get it right, maybe.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JustWatching said:

while we’re on the subject of musical biopics, I did not have Ridley Scott’s Bee Gees movie on my bingo card.

Well at least I know I can come into this Ridley movie knowing it will be bad lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, DAJK said:

How much is the 52m with inflation. Michael Jackson was/is bigger than Queen so that was not as big as these biopics get.  
I expect a Michael Jackson movie will be marketed as a concert movie. He is the most iconic performer ever.
The pic they just released of his nephew playing him has huge amounts of likes on social media.

The MJ musical has grossed over $170 million so far.
His estate have just agreed to sell half of his song catalogue to Sony for $600m the biggest deal ever for a musician’s catalogue and they still retain control of the catalogue. The entire catalogue may be worth as much as 1.5 billion and that’s before the movie comes out. Bruce Springsteen sold his entire catalogue and control of it for 500m. David Bowie’s estate sold his for 250m. Queen are trying to sell their entire catalogue for 1.2 billion and that includes royalties from the film and theatrical productions using Queen’s music. The deal for Jackson’s catalogue doesn’t include royalties from the  upcoming film, the musical and other productions.

The potential for this movie exceeds any other biopic regardless of anything else.

• Like 4

Shows you how music can carry a movie this far. Otherwise what is memorable about this guy? He survived an attempted assassination and then He died like an idiot to cancer he could had a fighting chance against but decided not to do anything about it before it was too late. And even then it was using Woo science.

Edited by CrashBandicoot81
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, CrashBandicoot81 said:

Shows you how music can carry a movie this far. Otherwise what is memorable about this guy? He survived an attempted assassination and then He died like an idiot to cancer he could had a fighting chance against but decided not to do anything about it before it was too late. And even then it was using Woo science.

Box Office Theory user CrashBandicoot81 DESTROYS Bob Marley's legacy!!!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, JustWatching said:

Kenneth Branagh, John Carney, Lorene Scafaria and now Ridley Scott. What a collection of directors that have gone through this project.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AJG said:

Until we know what those logs represented all that Epstein stuff is meaningless, and Elvis was an actual proven pedophile and his movie did just fine.

There's also a lawsuit against MJ's estate that is ongoing. I do think the backlash is gonna be a thing. I just don't know how much it'll impact box office overall.