Eric the Fall Guy

Weekdays Thread (2/12-15) | V-Day #s: Marley 14, Web 6, ABY 1.2, Argylle 1.1

After MEAN GIRLS, BOB MARLEY: ONE LOVE is another win for Paramount. They need these smaller hits since the rest of their 2024 looks weak. They only have 2 summer releases. Their last quarter looks just okay with SMILE II, GLADIATOR II, and SONIC THE HEDGEHOG III.

I'm never really good at deciphering how big certain musical acts are in the current zeitgeist and pop culture landscape. I was even down on Elvis for the longest time (though in my defense, it wasn't that I was doubting his popularity, it was more doubting whether old people would show up). But Bob Marley's performance is legit shocking to me. Like even with it being inevitably frontloaded af, its 30M+ 5-Day is what I expected the film to finish at even just a few weeks ago. My thought process was that he was always a "loved, but not idolized" figure a la Aretha Franklin. Is Bob Marley really that big of a deal and I just never noticed?

3 minutes ago, Eric Web said:

I'm never really good at deciphering how big certain musical acts are in the current zeitgeist and pop culture landscape. I was even down on Elvis for the longest time (though in my defense, it wasn't that I was doubting his popularity, it was more doubting whether old people would show up). But Bob Marley's performance is legit shocking to me. Like even with it being inevitably frontloaded af, its 30M+ 5-Day is what I expected the film to finish at even just a few weeks ago. My thought process was that he was always a "loved, but not idolized" figure a la Aretha Franklin. Is Bob Marley really that big of a deal and I just never noticed?

Pretty much.

Even if this is wildly frontloaded (it likely is, looking at sales for today and the weekend), it should still be good for around $50M total. Definitely going down as a "what if" as to how much a well-reviewed Bob Marley biopic would've done.

1 hour ago, kayumanggi said:

After MEAN GIRLS, BOB MARLEY: ONE LOVE is another win for Paramount. They need these smaller hits since the rest of their 2024 looks weak. They only have 2 summer releases. Their last quarter looks just okay with SMILE II, GLADIATOR II, and SONIC THE HEDGEHOG III.

70M budget and OS probably won't count for more than 30-35% so this may not make any money in theaters.

Wonder how well the Amy Winehouse movie will do later this year. A nonevent, I'm guessing (like Whitney, everyone knows her life was highly depressing and then there's the recency of it all, plus it's being released by Focus).

5 minutes ago, DAJK said:

At this point I’m expecting Michael to open to something crazy like 80M and be an overseas monster.

I was on that camp for the longest time, but reports are that this movie will go into the trial stuff. That just seems like a bad idea, because no matter what angle you take (and we know what the Jackson estate will take), you're going to lead to huge controversy that isn't worth it. But on the other hand, I guess there is the argument that controversy sells and MJ's more...passionate fans will like the "vindication". So...I guess that is the smart play? Either way, the #discourse is not going to be fun.

43 minutes ago, Eric Web said:

My thought process was that he was always a "loved, but not idolized" figure a la Aretha Franklin. Is Bob Marley really that big of a deal and I just never noticed?

excuse me what? Both Bob Marley and Aretha Franklin are big deals.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Eric Web said:

He is massive. When you go to Jamaica, all tourists take Bob Marley tours be it to his museum in Kingston and/or his brithplace in 9 Miles. 

• Like 2