JustWatching

President's Day Weekend Thread (2/16-19) | Bob Marley 28.6/34.1 (52 6-Day), Madame Web 15.3/18 (26 6-Day)

48 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

The movie is a bomb but seriously the fact that people are still seeing this movie without being forced to with a gun to their head kind of a blows my mind. Like you can make the biggest shit stain waste of a movie  where the lead actress does the press tour like a hostage video and some people are like let's check that out. 

I saw it yesterday night because we celebrated V-day Friday with a dinner and a movie.  We thought it would be funny bad but was just bad, bad.  

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

I saw it yesterday night because we celebrated V-day Friday with a dinner and a movie.  We thought it would be funny bad but was just bad, bad.  

Yeah I can see that being the reason for some people. My guess is if this was not a holiday week with Valentines and President day  and the marketplace being so barren for new movies, it  would be doing even worse. 

• Like 2

I've actually enjoyed Dakota Johnson's "I really don't want to be here" energy that she's been serving throughout the press tour for this. It's not too rare for the stars to completely sit out on the promo tour for a movie that they know is a dog that's doomed to fail (and the studios not caring enough about the movie to force them).

• Like 6
  • Heart 1

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I've actually enjoyed Dakota Johnson's "I really don't want to be here" energy that she's been serving throughout the press tour for this. It's not too rare for the stars to completely sit out on the promo tour for a movie that they know is a dog that's doomed to fail (and the studios not caring enough about the movie to force them).

I think Dakota Johnson is just weird. I remember that interview where her mum didn't want to watch 50 Shades

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, emoviefan said:

The movie is a bomb but seriously the fact that people are still seeing this movie without being forced to with a gun to their head kind of a blows my mind. Like you can make the biggest shit stain waste of a movie  where the lead actress does the press tour like a hostage video and some people are like let's check that out. 

Some people like to watch a train wreck; to me it’s more akin to something like Cats than Morbius or AMWQ, which were just bad, not as much so awful it horseshoe’s back to entertaining 

Also think the holiday weekend is inviting a large share of “sure, why not” audience 

3 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, ummm, I said $46M on Wed in the weekday thread as my back-of-the-napkin work...do I win a prize:)...

I think 49m 6-days is still on table if Saturday bump is ok. Can't believe One love is easily outgrossing TCP. I guess OL playing more to diverse crowd is the reason why it manages hold better. Only 40% of the audience are Black as compared to 65% of TCP. Also, TCP was way too female-skewing at 75% as compared to just 56% of OL. With this, it should be safe to say One love won't collapse like TCP. 

Black moviegoers led at 40%, followed by Latino and Hispanic at 25% and Caucasians at 23% and Asian Americans at 5%. Fifty-two percent of Bob Marley‘s audience is over 35, with the largest demo being 35-44 at 22%. 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Wonka's legs are looooong man. May Dune has them too.

I hope WB do a double feature of Wonka and Dune. Glad that the movie didn't have to crawl to 200m. 

Migration is another legs master, should up by at least 20% this weekend. I won't rule out the possibility that it could overtake Aquaman 2 for finish total at this point. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I hope WB do a double feature of Wonka and Dune. Glad that the movie didn't have to crawl to 200m. 

Migration is another legs master, should up by at least 20% this weekend. I won't rule out the possibility that it could overtake Aquaman 2 for finish total at this point. 

Also The Beekeeper. Unexpected legs for that one, well done. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I think 49m 6-days is still on table if Saturday bump is ok. Can't believe One love is easily outgrossing TCP. I guess OL playing more to diverse crowd is the reason why it manages hold better. Only 40% of the audience are Black as compared to 65% of TCP. Also, TCP was way too female-skewing at 75% as compared to just 56% of OL. With this, it should be safe to say One love won't collapse like TCP. 

I think a large part of it is that Bob Marley is actually huge in Latin America, he was a huge influence on reggaeton music. TCP was mainly targeted towards African Americans while Bob Marley can reach wider audiences. I think this film is going to be huge in the UK too because of the Jamaican population there,

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, M37 said:

Some people like to watch a train wreck; to me it’s more akin to something like Cats than Morbius or AMWQ, which were just bad, not as much so awful it horseshoe’s back to entertaining 

Also think the holiday weekend is inviting a large share of “sure, why not” audience 

Yeah got all that. But what it sounds like this movie is not one of those so bad it's good movies. It's just bad and boring it sounds like. And believe me when I was in high school and and in my 20's I saw a lot of terrible movies where me and my friends just went why not. Now being much older and post covid not a chance. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, joselowe said:

I think a large part of it is that Bob Marley is actually huge in Latin America, he was a huge influence on reggaeton music. TCP was mainly targeted towards African Americans while Bob Marley can reach wider audiences. I think this film is going to be huge in the UK too because of the Jamaican population there,

Gotta quote myself, didnt realize its already out in the UK. Biggest first day opening of all time for a music biopic, grossed higher than Bohemian Rhapsody day 1 in the UK.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Eric Web said:

I actually had this exact same issue. Had to leave my first attempt at seeing it because somebody decided to vape and talk over the first half-hour or so. Went to a later showing with only a handful of people who were much better behaved.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, misterpepp said:

I actually had this exact same issue. Had to leave my first attempt at seeing it because somebody decided to vape and talk over the first half-hour or so. Went to a later showing with only a handful of people who were much better behaved.

Yeah it's kind of funny to laugh at the woman who did not read the room or audience she would be with but that behavior can wait until after the movie. 

36 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Marley crossed over into the mainstream decades ago. I went to a mostly white midwestern college in the 80s, and if you walked into any random dorm room and found a record collection, you were guaranteed to find four albums among its contents: Led Zep 4, Dark Side of the Moon, Eagles Live and Legend, the BM & the Wailers greatest hits compilation. Dude has a huge fan base among old white farts like me, who might not have gotten to the film yet but will. I expect good legs.

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, JustWatching said:

Marley crossed over into the mainstream decades ago. I went to a mostly white midwestern college in the 80s, and if you walked into any random dorm room and found a record collection, you were guaranteed to find four albums among its contents: Led Zep 4, Dark Side of the Moon, Eagles Live and Legend, the BM & the Wailers greatest hits compilation. Dude has a huge fan base among old white farts like me, who might not have gotten to the film yet but will. I expect good legs.

Tbh, I didn't know this movie exist until few days before release although I know Bob Marley and few of his songs. I guess the wide awareness of his songs make the film far more accessible than people expect. I am also glad this movie isn't killed by poor critical reception. Boy on the boat, ABY, HG:BOSS and now Marley prove the meh RT score isn't end of the day and studio still can sell "bad" critically received movie without the need to dump them elsewhere. Among studio, Disney is the worst when come to selling a bad RT score movies. I always feel like their movies fumble right away if the RT score come out meh or poor like they don't know how to market them anymore. 

• Like 1