Eric Duncan

Dune: Part Two (2024)

Dune: Part Two (2024)  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

Enjoyed this much more than the first part. 

Everyone in this did a great job but I thought Zendaya, Butler and Bardem really stood out. 

As someone who’s never read the books; I’m curious what changes there were and if anyone who has read them liked the changes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, junkshop36 said:

Enjoyed this much more than the first part. 

Everyone in this did a great job but I thought Zendaya, Butler and Bardem really stood out. 

As someone who’s never read the books; I’m curious what changes there were and if anyone who has read them liked the changes. 

The biggest change is that in the books there's a pretty significant time skip, Alia is a creepy child, and she kills the Baron. Personally I'm fine with this change, cause I just have a hard time seeing anyone doing Alia right, it will definitely piss some Dune fans off though, cause it has some implications. Another big change is that Chani is a skeptic, in the book she even duels his challengers when he can't be bothered, and she doesn't leave at the end of the movie. There are a bunch of smaller changes outside of these as well.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Last Man Standing said:

The biggest change is that in the books there's a pretty significant time skip, Alia is a creepy child, and she kills the Baron. Personally I'm fine with this change, cause I just have a hard time seeing anyone doing Alia right, it will definitely piss some Dune fans off though, cause it has some implications. Another big change is that Chani is a skeptic, in the book she even duels his challengers when he can't be bothered, and she doesn't leave at the end of the movie. There are a bunch of smaller changes outside of these as well.

Since I always thought that Paul or Jessica should have killed the Baron and not the character who appeared late in the book, who kills him? 

44 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

Paul kills him in the throne room conforntation.

Good. Alia never made sense and her arc in Messiah and CoD works without her killing Baron cause the point is something else anyway. 

8 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

This is one of the rare moment I seen a protagonist in a major studio tentpole was written and portrayed with such “villainous” energy. Most of tentpole prefer their protagonist to be heroic and role model-ish. 

Because Paul has always been a hero on a villain journey something he wanted to stop but couldn't (ex. he saw himself choose the name Mua'Dib in the future that led to unprecedented bloodshed so in the present he tried to change that by choosing the name Paul Mua'dib and it didn't work cause future cannot be changed one can only see it if prescient). 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Last Man Standing said:

Correct me if I am wrong, I don’t think they finish the whole dune book in this part 2 movie. Looks like they “transfer” some plot to part 3 and combine it with messiah plot. 

So I don’t entirely agree with the idea that the ending is a cliffhanger, or at least one akin to Part One. Like, it obviously sets the ground for Messiah, but it’s also pretty conclusive to the story that started in movie one. Paul got his revenge, is now in control and about to dominate the universe, and Chani is going her own way. I guess you could argue the war declared on the Great Houses is a cliffhanger, but I’d say it’s presented in a way where the audience can imagine what comes next without feeling things are left hanging.

ultimately, it adds to the tragedy of it all: Paul is now on the path of destruction and has betrayed Chani’s trust and love. Stilgar and the Fremen are being led by a false profit, with their faith being taken advantage of. And the universe is about to get messed up.

If the story were to end here, I’d be satisfied (but obviously I still want to see what happens with Messiah). 

Edited by AMC Theaters Enjoyer

4 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Correct me if I am wrong, I don’t think they finish the whole dune book in this part 2 movie. Looks like they “transfer” some plot to part 3 and combine it with messiah plot. 

No they cover all of Dune. In fact, the movie is even a little less abrupt than the book ending.

• Like 3

I read soemwhere that Dune book was originally Dune + Messiah (then not called Messiah cause it was part of Dune) but the publisher was so sacred of the size of the book, it insisted the Messiah part to be removed. But when Dune became a massive success, they published Messiah as Messiah aka sequel. hence why that book is much shorter than Dune and feels more like an ending than the end of Dune book.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

This is one of the rare moment I seen a protagonist in a major studio tentpole was written and portrayed with such “villainous” energy. Most of tentpole prefer their protagonist to be heroic and role model-ish. 

They made Paul way more villainous here than he is in the books. The movie ends with Paul telling the Fremen to kill all the great houses that do no accept his ascendancy to the throne. This is a big departure from the books. In the books he can't control the religion that grows around him. Here he is the one who personally declares a holy war on the entire known universe.

Edited by DInky
  • Like 4

Also, someone on Reddit pointed out how illogical the new ending is. So where the movie departs from the book is when the other great houses refuse to accept Paul's ascendancy to the throne. And there's no reason given. In the first and second movie multiple characters say that the great houses would topple the emperor if they found out the emperor was responsible for the attack on the Artreides. Even in this movie at the very end Paul says that the great houses might be sympathetic to his cause if they find out the truth. In any case, Paul then declares a holy war on the great houses in response. In this scenario there is no need for Paul to marry Irulan because it apparently lends to legitimacy to his claim to the throne. And Chani has no need to run away because she feels betrayed by Paul on a personal level. Villeneuve wanted to set up the jihad immediately, took a shortcut and as a result the ending doesn't make sense.

Edited by DInky

The great houses and the Guild just witnessed a cult leader nuking the capital of the production of the spice while unleashing a brutal indigenous force against colonialist like them. It makes perfect sense to me that the great houses won’t instantly bow and this notion reinforce the radical anti colonialist message of the film.

Chani just did what she told Paul literally 30 mins before the end: she will follow him as long as he will stay who he is. He’s not that boy she fell in love anymore.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mr Roark said:

The great houses and the Guild just witnessed a cult leader nuking the capital of the production of the spice while unleashing a brutal indigenous force against colonialist like them. It makes perfect sense to me that the great houses won’t instantly bow and this notion reinforce the radical anti colonialist message of the film.

Chani just did what she told Paul literally 30 mins before the end: she will follow him as long as he will stay who he is. He’s not that boy she fell in love anymore.

I accept your point about Chani, she probably would have walked away even if Paul wasn't going to marry Irulan (although that seemed like the clear tipping point for her), at least in this version of the story. And I guess the great houses could refuse to accept Paul as the new emperor (although given the fact that in this feudal society warfare between houses is permitted, in this case between the Artreides and the Corrino, then I'm not sure if any of the other houses would have any moral objections to what has just happened), But Paul then immediately telling the Fremen to kill all that oppose them without even taking the time to explain to the great houses what exactly has happened is wild. And if he chooses that path then marrying Irulan becomes pointless. At that point he's not gaining power through a political alliance, he's simply using brute force. He becomes a tyrant right from the get-go.

• Like 1

Definitely an incredible theatrical experience.  More changes from the book than I anticipated.  Some of them were kind of obvious and made sense, like the abbreviated timeline and absence of Alia as an articulate toddler, but some of them were less ideal.  Chani not riding with Paul at the end was the most egregious for me, as it makes the plot of Messiah a little awkward.  The great houses rejecting Paul's ascendancy and that being the catalyst of the Jihad is weird because it makes them seem like political fanatics instead of religious fanatics.

Ultimately, only mildly annoying when compared to how great the rest of the movie is.

A+.  Would recommend.

18 minutes ago, ZackM said:

Definitely an incredible theatrical experience.  More changes from the book than I anticipated.  Some of them were kind of obvious and made sense, like the abbreviated timeline and absence of Alia as an articulate toddler, but some of them were less ideal.  Chani not riding with Paul at the end was the most egregious for me, as it makes the plot of Messiah a little awkward.  The great houses rejecting Paul's ascendancy and that being the catalyst of the Jihad is weird because it makes them seem like political fanatics instead of religious fanatics.

Ultimately, only mildly annoying when compared to how great the rest of the movie is.

A+.  Would recommend.

I would imagine that in order for Paul to be able to bring about the paradise that the Fremen have been waiting for  then they'd need to achieve control over the entire Imperium so that part tracks but it's a massive change from the books that if taken to its logical conclusion would completely alter the plot of Dune Messiah.