Bob Train

3/4-3/7 Weekdays Thread | Dune $7.3m Monday, $8.1m Tuesday, $6.6m Wednesday

13 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Interesting article.

https://x.com/variety/status/1765853552444842223?s=46&t=ivGmGl6bx9yMhARnU2Vzxw

Universal spent 3 x more on Oppenheimer TV ads than WB did for Barbie.

“Overall, “Oppenheimer” was No. 6 among movies for national TV ad spending over the past year. The top five were: Universal’s “Fast X” ($32.5 million), Warner Bros.’ “The Flash” ($32.1 million); Universal/Illumination’s “Migration” ($31.8 million) and “The Super Mario Bros. Movie” ($29.8 million); and Amazon Studios’ “Air” ($29.4 million).”

Killers of the Flower Moon ($17.8m), Barbie ($9.5m). 

Maybe because WB use differents types of Marketing for Barbie like parternerships or use buzz like the house/airbnb in pink in LA

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Grand Cine said:

Maybe because WB use differents types of Marketing for Barbie like parternerships or use buzz like the house/airbnb in pink in LA

There was a report Warner spent $150M on marketing for Barbie. Must have spent it somewhere, even if it wasn’t TV advertisements. Lol

3 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

It's not about breaking even, but doing so well Legendary is forced to make Dune 3 aka Messiah. The longer Legendary drags out Messiah announcement the less likely it gets made, and Denis leaves.

It's a long shot Children of Dune gets made, but I hope we do get it in a few years. As all Dune fans know, God Emperor is unfilmable though so I'm fine with CoD being the last Dune film(s?). There was a decent CoD miniseries a while back with James McAvoy, but I hope we get a film version eventually.

1. If the movie recoups its budget+marketing in theaters then everything that comes after that (PVOD, streaming, home video) is more or less pure profit.

2. Villeneuve is not walking away. And he himself is in no rush to make Messiah so does it really matter if the movie gets announced now or in a couple of months?

• Like 2

Just now, AniNate said:

I'll just say if you want to keep Timothee, Zendaya, and Florence, you should wait at least a few more years to start it

Spice does slow the aging process... 

• Haha 1

Theater counts: Dune narrowly holds off Kung Fu Panda to remain widest release (The Numbers)

March 7, 2024

Theater Counts for March 8

Movie Distributor Theaters Previous
Theaters
Change
Dune: Part Two Warner Bros. 4,074 4,071 +3
Kung Fu Panda 4 Universal Pictures 4,035   New
Imaginary Lionsgate 3,118   New
Cabrini Angel Studios 2,840   New
Bob Marley: One Love Paramount Pictures 2,764 3,390 -626
Ordinary Angels Lionsgate 2,323 3,020 -697
Madame Web Sony Pictures 2,015 3,116 -1,101
Migration Universal Pictures 1,503 2,204 -701
Wonka Warner Bros. 1,004 1,732 -728
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba—To the Hashira Training Sony Pictures 884 1,949 -1,065
Argylle Universal Pictures 793 2,283 -1,490
Poor Things Searchlight Pictures 700 550 +150

Remainder of list at https://www.the-numbers.com/news/256400830-Theater-counts-Dune-narrowly-holds-off-Kung-Fu-Panda-to-remain-widest-release

12 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

Its funny how put a warning for the tobacco and not all the weird pedo stuff. 

That’s a rather disingenuous and uncharitable way of interpreting the film. It’s an absurdist dark comedy about a fish out of water learning how the world works and managing to find a way to survive and even thrive.

a lot of people on the spectrum very much related to the main character in the movie, myself included.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TJ327 said:

That’s a rather disingenuous and uncharitable way of interpreting the film. It’s an absurdist dark comedy about a fish out of water learning how the world works and managing to find a way to survive and even thrive.

a lot of people on the spectrum very much related to the main character in the movie, myself included.

I don't know. They sure had a lot of sex scenes during the part of the movie where Emma Stone is clearly still acting and walking like a child.

EDIT: 

Spoiler

The final act of Poor Things convinced me that Bella was a "child" for the entire first act of the film, and not just "on the spectrum."

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

12 hours ago, Maaatt said:

Does anyone else remember the Deadline 2024 box office preview articles? On one of them they went through and listed every movie that currently was seen by exhibition (the theater circuits) of having potential to get past the 100 million dollar century mark at the domestic box office (i think they counted around 23 on the release calendar at that time).

For the most part its a fairly predictable list, with the first releasee of 2024 that was seen as having a chance being Bob Marley:One Love. The title that jumped out at me though was ”Cabrini” which at that time id barely even heard of and thought was insane. Their brief justification was basically just that its the studio that made Sound Of Freedom & targets an audience that is often underserved (religious), which is true but man i still don’t get who was seeing this to get to north of $100 million domestic. Ever since then ive been curious to follow how it tracks to see if i just have a blind spot in this area or if the exhibition sources informing the article were delusional/overly optimistic.

This is getting a bit off of pre-sale tracking (so I'm posting in weekday thread) but that studio's seems to have always explicitly signaled their big bet is an animated film about the biblical figure David with a hefty $61M budget (up from initial announcement's $35M target in 2018) which is slated for a mid-2025 release.

I found that out on Edgar and also saw that Angel Studios' recent filings have all been talking about how they're engaged in a lawsuit over losing rights to distribute The Chosen which makes up the vast majority of their revenue. I wonder if that basic financial issue is part of the aggressive push into theatrical? Establishing a new business at a scale that compensates of the loss of the initial one.  

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
vast not cast
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

$300M is the total it needs to beat ATSV's raw jump from ITSV

That’s not really a fair comparison, given ITSV had holidays to boost total and first Dune was limiting by a D&D streaming release, knocking 10/20/30% off the total 

While math is roughy the same, feels more to me like John Wick 2 —> 3 type of audience growth 

Also, Dune II is going to pass Dune I’s (depressed) total after just 7 days 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JustLurking said:

Seeing Dune break out big is awesome. Hopefully this gives Denis more clout as a director. We need more auteur-driven big budget films for sure.

I second this. After the success of Oppenheimer coming fast on the heels of CBM’s not being the sure things they had been for well over a decade there was some talk of what does is it say about modern audience tastes, how can the Oppenheimer model be replicated to make a steady stream of hits for theaters (if theaters can no longer bank on the guaranteed stream of blockbusters from superhero movies, where will the blockbusters come from?) and the easy joke about that was to say we need more Christopher Nolan movies but he can only do so much..

But what you said above is the correct answer to me, or at least part of it, we need more quality auteur-directors with big & loyal fanbases capable of opening movies, like Nolan.  Thats my dream at least.