kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 30.15M KFP IV | 28.50M DUNE II

Kung fu panda franchise has been on steady decline domestically 

1st did 215 million, 2nd did 166 million and 3rd did 143 million 

china kept 3rd one afloat

getting back to 200 million especially when budget is 40% less than 2nd and 3rd 

it’s remarkable 

• Like 5

12.8 (+60%)

9.2 (-28%)

Gets Dune 2 to $30M

It's definitely a scenario that's possible, but Dune 2 would have to have a terrific drop on Sunday. Let's see if it can do it. This Sunday is especially harsh.

A 35% drop is more likely instead and gets it to $29M

If the Saturday jump is abnormally high (~70%), then $30M is highly likely, if not essentially locked unless the movie drops like a rock (>40%) on Sunday (which it so far has shown no indication of happening)

I believe in the power of PLF

Edited by Daxtreme
typo in numbers

21 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

it’s remarkable 

back when the third one came out, seeing the decline everywhere outside of China and the response to the film I thought there was no way but down for the franchise lol. Times are soooo different now, it's been 8 years!

Interesting note here, 8 years was the span of the releases of the first three, 2008 to 2016. Damn.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, toutvabien said:

back when the third one came out, seeing the decline everywhere outside of China and the response to the film I thought there was no way but down for the franchise lol. Times are soooo different now, it's been 8 years!

Interesting note here, 8 years was the span of the releases of the first three, 2008 to 2016. Damn.

Especially with no furious 5, like they took 5 out of 7 main characters away

kung fu panda was always big tik tok, I think being on Netflix for good while helped 

demographic 18-24 really came out big 

85 million budget and on pace 600-650 million total gross, big profits 

can only imagine shrek 5 

• Heart 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

it’s remarkable 

Not gonna lie, I was one of the only true believers (as a genuinely huge fan of the franchise) for the third film to breakout in a dead January 2016 (eight years ago), where there were nothing else in the scale of how much box office-wise the previous KFP-films before then, have performed. I even made clubs about it. And overperform on a grand scale, no less. 😬🥶👩🏻‍💼

And while the reception for KFP3 was high (with 87% critic rating on RT), the box office for that film didn’t really justify the critical praise it recieved. So good of a movie and yet Panda 3 underperformed in relative to the insane, yet hopefully box office predictions I had for it at the time.

Thankfully Panda 4 finally did/is doing things what the other two sequels couldn’t do:

A. Open over $50M+
B. Be on it’s way to $200M+ DOM due to no animated competition until late May.

C. Be the hit DWA needed after the total flop of Ruby Gillman. Trolls 3 did a bit better in theaters though nothing overly spectacular.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Not gonna lie, I was one of the only true believers (as a genuinely huge fan of the franchise) for the third film to breakout in a dead January 2016 (eight years ago), where there were nothing else in the scale of how much box office-wise the previous KFP-films before then, have performed. I even made clubs about it. And overperform on a grand scale, no less. 😬🥶👩🏻‍💼

And while the reception for KFP3 was high (with 87% critic rating on RT), the box office for that film didn’t really justify the critical praise it recieved. So good of a movie and yet Panda 3 underperformed in relative to the insane, yet hopefully box office predictions I had for it at the time.

Thankfully Panda 4 finally did/is doing things what the other two sequels couldn’t do:

A. Open over $50M+
B. Be on it’s way to $200M+ DOM due to no animated competition until late May.

C. Be the hit DWA needed after the total flop of Ruby Gillman. Trolls 3 did a bit better in theaters though nothing overly spectacular.

Second one kinda ended on cliffhanger as well, feels like 3rd movie should have done more

4th one I’m not even sure where it lands, it could honestly be highest grossing one but hasn’t released in so many markets yet to really know 

spring break over but Easter holidays is right around the corner and April to late May is free reign for animated movies 

8 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

Especially with no furious 5, like they took 5 out of 7 main characters away

kung fu panda was always big tik tok, I think being on Netflix for good while helped 

demographic 18-24 really came out big 

85 million budget and on pace 600-650 million total gross, big profits 

can only imagine shrek 5 

The best way Shrek 5 could be huge if the film is as beloved as the first two films and Puss in Boots 2: The Last Wish. Plus that DWA could make the 5th film appeal to a new generation of kids who’s never seen any Shrek film before (aside from PiB2), which is our generation, and that they do more new elements and ideas with it.

• Like 1