kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | estimates | 45.2M GHOSTBUSTERS: FROZEN EMPIRE | 17.6M DUNE II | 16.8M KFP IV

Let’s not forget that if Ghostbusters had opened on every PLF screen with full reign then it would be pulling in closer to $50 million, if not more. 

Raw dollars are all that matter of course, but it’s likely selling more tickets than Afterlife did this weekend.  

8 minutes ago, AN9815 said:

For me Turning Red is easily the worst out of the three. But still they are all excellent movies so I guess it depends on your taste. I think Pixar would have had an incredible run with Soul-Luca-Turning Red in theaters if COVID would not have happened. 

I also thought ONWARD would have done well. It would have opened to 50M+ if not for the COVID scare and restrictions.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

So this is not gonna hit $200M worldwide?

Im not sure how it can go over 200m with the franchise being so domestic heavy and Godzilla x Kong coming next weekend.  

https://deadline.com/2024/03/box-office-ghostbusters-frozen-empire-1235865730/

Overall the box office with $97.6M is expected to be off -17% from the same weekend a year ago as that’s when Lionsgate’s roared with John Wick: Chapter 4, which posted the highest opening in the franchise with $73.8M and led the marketplace to $116.6M.

Updated PostTrak exits from ComScore and Screen Engine are 80% positive on the Gil Kenan directed sequel with a 64% definite recommend. Grades are lower among kids versus Afterlife at 89% postive and a 57% must see right away.

Male leaning of course at 55% with 46% of the crowd between 25-44 years old with another 30% of the audience 13-24 years old and the largest quad a tie between 18-24 and 25-34 years old at 23%. Diversity demos are 48% Caucasian, 27% Latino and Hispanic, 12% Black, 8% Asian and 5% Native American. Ghostbusters: Afterlife is playing best in the South, South Central and Midwest. Top grossing cinema in the nation so far is AMC Disney Springs in Orlando FL with over $50K.

25 minutes ago, AN9815 said:

For me Turning Red is easily the worst out of the three. But still they are all excellent movies so I guess it depends on your taste. I think Pixar would have had an incredible run with Soul-Luca-Turning Red in theaters if COVID would not have happened. 

Luca and Turning Red could have been released in theaters even in the COVID reality. Soul was pretty screwed though.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Someone in the tracking thread thought it was going to do 3x this just based on a survey of... one theater I think? But this result doesn't surprise me. mainly because we already knew what Soul and TR did.

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Luca and Turning Red could have been released in theaters even in the COVID reality. Soul was pretty screwed though.

Onward was screwed too but no one cares about Onward. :ph34r:

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Hot take but Onward is my favourite Pixar from the 2020s.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Well, Onward was basically doomed the minute the reviews weren't amazing.

Pre-COVID Pixar originals were remarkable and annoying in how much they correlated with critics. It's why I think in a normal landscape, Turning Red and Soul would have done well, and Luca wouldn't. 

Great for Dune, 17-18M weekend. I really think 275M is locked atp 

Panda not holding as great as it could, but WOM is not amazing so there’s that. Still 185M seems good. 

Meh for Ghostbusters but i though it would be worse. Still with that CS i think legs will be awful.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

Pre-COVID Pixar originals were remarkable and annoying in how much they correlated with critics. It's why I think in a normal landscape, Turning Red and Soul would have done well, and Luca wouldn't. 

You mean anything sub 90% isn't amazing. 🤔

I mean Brave and Cars made bank though. And WDAS Wreck-It Ralph also did.

3 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

ONWARD was 88% among critics and 95% among verified audience. It could have been one leggy hit.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Hot take but Onward is my favourite Pixar from the 2020s.

That's a fine opinion to have but I think it's a little interesting how the narrative of "screwed over Pixar movies" generally overlooks Onward.

I ultimately think in a non-COVID world Onward, Luca, and Turning Red would be in the $200 m Dom area. Dunno about Soul though. I've heard takes that Soul would have been another Inside Out and I really don't know about that...

Also in real life Luca and TR could have been successes.

• Like 1