kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | estimates | 45.2M GHOSTBUSTERS: FROZEN EMPIRE | 17.6M DUNE II | 16.8M KFP IV

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

All this talk recently of franchises being revived well past their sell-by date and the difficulties that have long faced comedy franchises (which, let's be honest, is what the OG Ghostbusters was - a comedy with supernatural elements) has brought to mind BCoop's statements during this past awards season that he would absolutely make a Hangover 4. Listen Bradley, I know it must sting having a dozen Oscar nominations and zero wins, but returning to a franchise that arguably wore out its welcome about 5 minutes into the second film is definitely not it.

Hangover 4 would rock.

Should be close for #2 between Panda and Dune, both doing about $17m, I think Panda likely has the edge though. And we should see inflated weekdays because of second round of Spring Break.

FWIW when I saw both the '16 movie and Afterlife in theaters on their respective opening weekends (and I'm going to assume will also be the case seeing this new movie tomorrow) the audience for them was very family-heavy. Sort of reinforces the idea that the future of profitability for the Ghostbusters IP is to really target the family crowd with more modestly-budgeted efforts compared to aspiring blockbusters hoping to cash in on a hypothetical nostalgia craze with budgets in the nine digits (or trying to appeal to a very online crowd that clearly doesn't actually care about the property).

54 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

That's a rather prosaic number for this movie. Not a "bad" debut if it holds but will probably barely go over 100 mil with the chunk Kong takes from it next week.

The actual crap debut is Immaculate.

Horror has been on a mediocre run so far this year. I wonder what the first major hit is going to be.

So, we saw Ghostbusters:).  It has the same problem as Eternals, but to a lesser degree...TOO MANY characters.  Just too many.  I mean, it had the advantage of having them all introduced before, but it just doesn't help enough, especially when they do continue to introduce new characters. 

So, the movie struggles all movie juggling the cast and their purpose, giving them spotlight time, hitting nostalgia points, getting through plot exposition, etc.  Like Eternals, the movie just feels way longer than it is b/c of trying to fit in too many folks.  

That said, it was still an enjoyable movie.  My 2 youngest boys (tween and teen) loved it, while my older teen girl was not thrilled.  Spouse and I were happy, but not amazed.

For the grades, spouse and I gave it a B-.  He also said it was 2 written drafts and some character pruning from being a home run.

Boys gave it an A-.

Teen girl wouldn't grade, but was happy she saw a movie.

The best times of the movie were with Bill Murray on screen - damn, he still has it.  The worst parts were where the 2 teen girls shared a scene b/c my own teen girl said that "looking lifeless" was not supposed to be what both were doing, and they couldn't decide what they wanted their screen emoting to be, so you have this deadness on screen.

Also, going to the (audience asks, why would she do that - answer "b/c she's a teen and the movie plot needs it") trope over and over was a bit...much...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, ando said:

$4.6M Fri would be great for Dune. $17M could happen. 

Awesome Dune number. Hopefully the weekend estimate edges up a bit. 

If Dune can hold decently next weekend, it could be in for some good April legs. 

Edited by Squire
  • Like 1

Another bomb for Sydney Sweeney. NEON is a hack distributor.

Strong start for Late Night with the Devil.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CJohn said:

Another bomb for Sydney Sweeney. NEON is a hack distributor.

Strong start for Late Night with the Devil.

2,100 theatres and Black Bear produced for under $10m and sold distribution. $5m would be fine for an indie.

Would $5m be Neon’s biggest debut?

Great for Late Night with the Devil. Seeing it tonight! 

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

2,100 theatres and Black Bear produced for under $10m and sold distribution. $5m would be fine for an indie.

Would $5m be Neon’s biggest debut?

Great for Late Night with the Devil. Seeing it tonight! 

2,354 theaters its opening in and 5m would be Neon's best opening beating Ferrari 

https://www.the-numbers.com/market/distributor/Neon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I think 5M for Immaculate is a fine enough wide opening for a low-budget and divisive horror picture? A24 is considered Neon's cooler, more popular older brother, and it still hasn't opened any higher than 13.5M or something. Neon doesn't really have the clout or popularity among the youths just yet to really gross much of anything.. In fact, I think this is Neon's first wide opening ever?

19 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

2,354 theaters its opening in and 5m would be Neon's best opening beating Ferrari 

https://www.the-numbers.com/market/distributor/Neon

Ah thanks, Box Office Report had 2,150 yesterday so maybe it increased. 

6 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

Yeah, I think 5M for Immaculate is a fine enough wide opening for a low-budget and divisive horror picture? A24 is considered Neon's cooler, more popular older brother, and it still hasn't opened any higher than 13.5M or something. Neon doesn't really have the clout or popularity among the youths just yet to really gross much of anything.. In fact, I think this is Neon's first wide opening ever?

I love A24, but Neon have had some great horrors too (Lodge, Possessor, Infinity Pool, Titane, Immaculate). With Cuckoo and Longlegs coming, I’m glad they’re leaning into hyper violence. Hope they can keep going. 

17 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

I thought as Ferrari was a wide opening. Or not?