kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | estimates | 45.2M GHOSTBUSTERS: FROZEN EMPIRE | 17.6M DUNE II | 16.8M KFP IV

4 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

This weekend is but an appetizer for the movie event of the year coming out next weekend.

Also the gayest movie event of the year.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, John Marston said:

In 1984 Ghostbusters was a huge hit and Dune flopped. In 2024 Dune is a huge hit and Ghostbusters will flop

That's because in 1984 Ghostbusters was amazing and Dune a piece of shit and now...

KFP4's Thursday weekly drop was ~61%, Dune 2's Thursday weekly drop was ~51%. But I'm seeing most predictions expect substantially lower drops for both over the weekend, maybe 40-42% drops compared to last weekend. Is that normal? I.e. on a Thursday you see a much bigger drop from last week than you do on a weekend? (I guess I assumed last Thursday's gross already took that into account). 

(I guess for KFP4, the idea is last Thursday was spring break, yesterday isn't, so you see a super steep drop, but on weekends that difference isn't as extreme?)

Also, probably naive question—why was Dune's Thursday weekly drop so much larger than its drops for the rest of the week? Is it just because it lost screens to Ghostbusters? (I.e. I'm trying to predict if it's likely that there are any more >50% drops next week—seems like it's possible if next Thursday it loses even more screens to GxK?)

Edited by Ziddletwix

Not a great number, but the upside for Sony is that they now know that this franchise is pretty much dead, but it's probably still going to be close enough to breakeven.

Other franchises have had to learn their lesson a lot harder.

Sony can move on. We just need to see what they move on to.

4 minutes ago, Ziddletwix said:

KFP4's Thursday weekly drop was ~61%, Dune 2's Thursday weekly drop was ~51%. But I'm seeing most predictions expect substantially lower drops for both over the weekend, maybe 40-42% drops compared to last weekend. Is that normal? I.e. on a Thursday you see a much bigger drop from last week than you do on a weekend? (I guess I assumed last Thursday's gross already took that into account). 

(I guess for KFP4, the idea is last Thursday was spring break, yesterday isn't, so you see a super steep drop, but on weekends that difference isn't as extreme?)

I suspect Ghostbusters is rather soft and kids/adults are more interested in the other 2 movies still. Like there wasn't a huge migration of interest to it once it actually dropped and some people would rather rewatch the other 2 movies.

40 minutes ago, John Marston said:

In 1984 Ghostbusters was a huge hit and Dune flopped. In 2024 Dune is a huge hit and Ghostbusters will flop

So close to 5M previews and we are already calling Ghostbusters a flop?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Ziddletwix said:

Also, probably naive question—why was Dune's Thursday weekly drop so much larger than its drops for the rest of the week? Is it just because it lost screens to Ghostbusters? (I.e. I'm trying to predict if it's likely that there are any more >50% drops next week—seems like it's possible if next Thursday it loses even more screens to GxK?)

Thursday preview showings for Ghostbusters hurt Panda & Dune. It will be interesting to see how those films play on the weekend. 

6 minutes ago, stripe said:

So close to 5M previews and we are already calling Ghostbusters a flop?

Im going to assume its because people think it'll be frontloaded and Ghostbusters doesn't gross much internationally 

• Like 1

Here in the UK, Ghostbusters seems to have no IMAX screens, even though it was marketed as having IMAX. Dune still has all the IMAX this weekend. Is this the case in America or is Ghostbusters stealing all Dune's IMAX screens?

2 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Here in the UK, Ghostbusters seems to have no IMAX screens, even though it was marketed as having IMAX. Dune still has all the IMAX this weekend. Is this the case in America or is Ghostbusters stealing all Dune's IMAX screens?

At my theater, Ghostbusters is only getting one IMAX show in the early afternoon, with the remaining times going to Dune. Can’t imagine that being much different elsewhere.

• Like 1

They really never figured out quite how to reintroduce this franchise. Welll, low 100s dom and low 200s worldwide is not a complete embarrassment, after all it's been the ceiling for this franchise since 1989 it seems.