kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | estimates | 45.2M GHOSTBUSTERS: FROZEN EMPIRE | 17.6M DUNE II | 16.8M KFP IV

Neon's still waiting for that one project that will truly catapult them into the more mainstream conscious ala A24.

Their only movies to make $20M+ in their nearly 7 year existence are I, Tonya (which also had renewed interest in that scandal to give it a boost) and Parasite, both of which had the benefit of being largely assisted by awards season.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Eesh, don't think $200mil is happening anymore. That word-of-mouth really must've dinged it.

Nah, it just opened as a $35M family movie with $25M in older teen money.  So, it's gonna go 4x+ that family money + the OW teen money (which didn't catch on post the weekend, like Minions did), or exactly where it should have ended up.

It wasn't really a "family opener" in the traditional sense, but more a hybrid, so a lower leg multiplier...

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Yea that’s not a great number for Panda. Still, 185M or so should happen, which is far better than anyone had it a month ago.

It's going to end up the most profitable because of that 85M budget.

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Nah, it just opened as a $35M family movie with $25M in older teen money.  So, it's gonna go 4x+ that family money + the OW teen money (which didn't catch on post the weekend, like Minions did), or exactly where it should have ended up.

It wasn't really a "family opener" in the traditional sense, but more a hybrid, so a lower leg multiplier...

I do think Ghostsbusters might've had more audience overlap than we thought, though I still believe it'd be doing sub 45% drops with better reviews.

Edited by AniNate

Just now, AniNate said:

I do think Ghostsbusters might've had more audience overlap than we thought, though I still think it'd be doing sub 45% drops with better reviews.

In my showing last night, there were a ton of little 8-12 year old boys...so that demo is turning out for this GB...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

Good to know Turning Red, the best of these, opened the highest. Quality wins yet again.

f0c095b074d4362dba914c850e6b299d.gif

For me Turning Red is easily the worst out of the three. But still they are all excellent movies so I guess it depends on your taste. I think Pixar would have had an incredible run with Soul-Luca-Turning Red in theaters if COVID would not have happened. 

Edited by AN9815
  • Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

A rather meh launch for Ghostbusters, which is bound to get hit hard next weekend (even with the Easter frame) between Godzilla x Kong arriving + taking over all IMAX/PLF screens. Hopefully now they'll take the hint the potential they dream of for this IP is clearly not there.