kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | estimates | 15.01M CHALLENGERS | 7.73M UNSUNG HERO | 7.22M GODZILLA×KONG: TNE

I'm as disappointed in Challengers' opening as the next guy, but after seeing the movie last night and absolutely loving it, I gotta say that it's still great to see a movie like THAT open to #1 in America. 

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

I'll be interested in seeing CW's global update, apparently it was at $70 million per variety which hasn't been reflected in Numbers updates, hoping it can get to $100 mil. Don't know how much A24 sold the rights for but I have to imagine intl distributors would be very happy with that result

It has been pretty satisfying to see all "TeH CoNtRoVeRsY", "tEh BuDgEt" and "TeH lEgS" cynicism slowly be silenced

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

That seems to be a decent box office for a movie I just heard this weekend.

Edited by Kon

DEADLINE Updated Sunday chart includes Saturday and Sunday….

1.) Challengers (AMZ MGM) 3,477 theaters, Fri $6.2M, Sat $5M Sun $3.78M 3-day $15M/Wk 1

2.) Unsung Hero (LG) 2,832 theaters, Fri $3.65M, 3-day $7.75M/Wk 1

3.) Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire (Leg/WB) 3,312 theaters (-346), Fri $1.76M (-25%) 3-day $7.3M (-23%)/Total $181.1M/ Wk 5

4.) Civil War (A24) 3,518 (-411) theaters, Fri $1.9M (-41%) Sat $3M Sun $2M 3-day $7M (-39%), Total $56.1M/Wk 3

5.) Abigail (Uni) 3,393 (+9) theatres, Fri $1.49M (-63%) Sat $2.2M Sun $1.48M, 3-day $5.25M (-49%)/Total $18.7M/Wk 2

6.) Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare (LG) 2,845 theaters, Fri $1.1M (-70%), 3-day $3.85M (-57%), Total $15.4M/Wk 2

7.) Kung Fu Panda 4 (Uni) 2,767 (-188) theaters, Fri $830K (-28%) Sat $1.65M Sun $1.07M 3-day $3.55M (-24%), Total $185M/Wk 8

8.) Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (Sony) 2,627 (-482) theaters, Fri $770K (-26%) 3-day $3.2M (-27%), Total $107.3M/Wk 6

9.) Dune: Part Two (Leg/WB) 1,334 (-680) theaters, Fri $525K (-35%) 3-day $1.89M (-36%), Total $279.6M/Wk 9

10.) Alien (re) 1,750 theaters, Fri $606K Sat $551K Sun $406K 3-day $1.56M/Total $83.6M lifetime/Wk 1 re-release

11.) Boy Kills World (RSA) 1,993 theaters, Fri $819K, 3-day $1.6M/Wk 1

Holdovers:
Spy x Family Code: White (Crunch) 2,009 (-31) theaters, Fri $285K, 3-day $1M (-79%)/Total $7M/Wk 2

https://deadline.com/2024/04/box-office-challengers-zendaya-1235896116/

[just pasted in Deadline's exact chart; it looks like 10 & 11 might switch places if those numbers are correct] 

Edited by Jerri Blank-Diggler
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kon said:

That seems to be a decent box office for a movie I just heard this weekend.

It’s ok but Jesus Revolution (which looks like the same film) opened to more than double that last year. 

Great hold for Abigail, -49%. 

do we buy the 5m Saturday that deadline is reporting, or are they going off of the 5m the studio was estimating as early as Saturday morning?

also kinda off topic but "props" to Amy Pascal for still working after her wildly racist emails about Obama were exposed. Hollywood selective outrage strikes again 

Edited by Flopped

Reports of Fall Guy's death might've been greatly exaggerated. This is about half of what Dune and GxK opened to in Australia, and about four times was Civil War opened to

I really have no idea why anyone expected anything higher for Challengers. It is a homoerotic, R-rated tennis-drama that has one noticeable star and two homely costars. The environment in which it is coming out is also one that has a culture war brewing regarding pushback against homosexuality. Who exactly is supposed to be the audience for this? Her young fans are not going to be able to see it. Straight guys are not going to see it. Straight women are probably not going to be compelled to see it. Tennis fans are not going to have any inclination to see it. If you abstract those elements from the budget, the result is not worthy of derision to be honest. 

4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Reports of Fall Guy's death might've been greatly exaggerated. This is about half of what Dune and GxK opened to in Australia, and about four times was Civil War opened to

So like 160-200M overseas and 100-150M domestically. 

2 hours ago, AJG said:

The same thing happened with Civil War.

There's a disparity between the amount of coverage these films receive in the media and the actual audience willing to pay to watch them. I thought Challengers would hit $30m OW.

The Fall Guy will probably be the next movie to face this issue - but I think the Forums have prepared for that possibility better than we did for these last two films.

I'd argue with Civil War likely getting to $70M+ and Challengers possibly $40M+, these movies are pulling bigger numbers and audiences theatrically vs comparable film twitter faves/discourse films. Obviously, this doesn't move Challengers out of the red, but I do think it's somewhat of a measure of success.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

I really have no idea why anyone expected anything higher for Challengers. It is a homoerotic, R-rated tennis-drama that has one noticeable star and two homely costars. The environment in which it is coming out is also one that has a culture war brewing regarding pushback against homosexuality. Who exactly is supposed to be the audience for this? Her young fans are not going to be able to see it. Straight guys are not going to see it. Straight women are probably not going to be compelled to see it. Tennis fans are not going to have any inclination to see it. If you abstract those elements from the budget, the result is not worthy of derision to be honest. 

No one expected that until that budget number came out and all of a sudden that became the measure of success

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 2

Challengers will barely win with No Hard Feelings. Zendaya's movie doesn't have so many competitors like NHF.  With all this hype it's really disappointing. Seems like media likes her way more than GA

7 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I check how high the Lost City and Bullet Train perform in Australia and Spain during OW and found FG pretty much match those figures, implying that the domestic OW for the range of low-30m