kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | estimates | 15.01M CHALLENGERS | 7.73M UNSUNG HERO | 7.22M GODZILLA×KONG: TNE

58 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Why aren't they making them though? Not being negative or anything, it's a genuine question.

The question about Feig was already answered but Apatow's probably facing difficulty finding funding for anything of his these days, even from Universal (his longtime studio collaborator). As debated as it was as to why it posted such low numbers, the one thing the dismal box office performance of Bros might've proved above all else was that Trainwreck really was the last hurrah for the Apatow brand (he was a producer on The Big Sick but everyone knew that was Kumail Nanjiani's project first and foremost).

6 hours ago, JonathanMB said:

It runs into the same issue as Cinemascore where not every definite recommend is indicative of how good or bad legs will be. For just two examples, Civil War had a 53% definite recommend two weeks ago before dropping off a bit harshly, while back in December Anyone But You had a 57% definite recommend. A four point different between two movies that will have a sub-3 and 14+ multiplier respectively. That said, a chart keeping track of those numbers would be interesting to see, even if it drives home even more how hard they can be to read.

I like Posttrak. Definite Recommend doesn't make much sense to me or Idk how to read it. I mostly use the % score they give in general.

3 hours ago, AniNate said:

There is an audience biting, even if it might not be one that surpasses some magical revenue:budget ratio which studios can have all kinds of ulterior motives for either overestimating or underestimating in public reporting.

The problem is, outside of event films, there's not enough of an audience biting for theaters around the country to reliably stay open in the long term. They're losing money, and a "bomb" like Indiana Jones is better for them than than a success like Civil War.

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AniNate said:

It's not that I expect everyone to be positive all the time, but I do think negativity should at least come from a place of logical thought. The movie industry trudges on still despite everyone bemoaning its death here every weekend pretty much since this forum was created, so maybe consider that it's not exactly the most reasonable perspective to take.

What I find silly is that there's doom and gloom despite the improbability of Civil War and Challengers making as much as they have even PRE Covid. When was the last time a high concept political movie and a sexy tennis movie put up these numbers? Genuinely asking.

• Disbelief 1

11 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

What I find silly is that there's doom and gloom despite the improbability of Civil War and Challengers making as much as they have even PRE Covid. When was the last time a high concept political movie and a sexy tennis movie put up these numbers? Genuinely asking.

What I find even sillier is people holding Challengers up as some kind of success on par with Civil War. The latter opened to $10 million more than the former looks to open with.

And the fact we're trying to spin both films as bonafide successes is wild to me when just 10 years ago, Civil War, at its current box office, would be the 69th highest grossing film of the year.

17 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Avatar and Star Wars are high concept political films

7 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

Challengers: B+

Happy Dance Party GIF by Challengers Movie

Honestly pretty fantastic considering how the PostTrak numbers looked and that RT looks like it will stay below 80%. Plus stories like this:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

What I find even sillier is people holding Challengers up as some kind of success on par with Civil War. The latter opened to $10 million more than the former looks to open with.

And the fact we're trying to spin both films as bonafide successes is wild to me when just 10 years ago, Civil War, at its current box office, would be the 69th highest grossing film of the year.

None of this is about what I was talking about so let me make it easy for you. Do you think Civil War and Challengers would have put up much higher numbers pre-Covid?

1 hour ago, JonathanMB said:

Honestly pretty fantastic considering how the PostTrak numbers looked and that RT looks like it will stay below 80%. Plus stories like this:

lol I’ve been there before. I loved The Card Counter, thought the story and characters were dynamite, and then everybody else in the theater were dunking on it. One guy was like “what was the movie even about?”, with others saying “I just think the movie wasn’t about anything.” It’s always a good reminder at times like these that while my life might not be perfect, at least I’m smart enough to have media literacy and connect the dots for myself instead of having stuff spoonfed to me.

• Like 2