kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | estimates | 15.01M CHALLENGERS | 7.73M UNSUNG HERO | 7.22M GODZILLA×KONG: TNE

21 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Isn't it kinda weak after all the hype and Zendaya doing a fashion show on nearly dozen of premieres?

if you put like that yeah. It's showing she has not this incredible star power. But if yoy make a context of an adult drama opener in the post pandemic market (but i would say even some year before that, sadly) going near to the Last Scorsese territory or to Napoleon territory (with 1/4 of the budget) how can we say it's weak- bad?. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I think it's her starpower that's the reason this is gonna beat Call Me By Your Name's total within its first week

a gay movie from an unknow director now has a kinda of name. Also when call me by your name reached 3300 copies of distribution?. The widest it went was 900 screens.

Of course it's better than opening a movie with someone totally has not a career like Mike Faist. But proving star power means you ha to prove you are worthing your mega cachet, cause the movie costs 55M also for that. 

Edited by vale9001

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

Isn't it kinda weak after all the hype and Zendaya doing a fashion show on nearly dozen of premieres?

Meets tracking, and it can still leg it like Beekeeper to get to the lower end of the 65-120 range most of the “big star, no big IP” movies reach these days. It’s fine

(btw, I don’t care about this movie’s budget, so don’t even bother with me on that)

• Like 1

I mean 20 mln would be really solid for this, but 15 mln is ok at best considering it was pushed as a commercial sexy melodrama with a super popular lead actress and tik tok generation appeal, it would actually be below The Beekeeper which is essentially The Mechanic with bees.

Edited by Firepower

If Amazon was expecting a blockbuster out of a tennis movie they didn't do their homework, because tennis has a long history of meager box office performances. Like, the "record" for Challengers to beat is seemingly Match Point—a Woody Allen movie pretty light on sports content.

The Challengers ad campaign is leaning into sexiness, which is great for internet attention, but it's not the 1990s anymore. Being steamy is just as likely to repel modern moviegoers as draw them in. They'll watch that, just not in theaters.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Firepower said:

I mean 20 mln would be really solid for this, but 15 mln is ok at best considering it was pushed as a commercial sexy melodrama with a super popular lead actress and tik tok generation appeal, it would actually be below The Beekeeper which is essentially The Mechanic with bees.

15M seems the floor of the prediction right now. Should end at something in between the 15-20M range, touching 20M if walk ups are solid on saturday and sunday. 

btw yeah they clearly tried to copy Barbie strategy with Margot robbie fashion shows around the world, but if was on point with Barbie for obvious reasons what was the selling point for this film? Filmupdates bombed  1800 posts at day about her outfits. Kinda forced and annoying at some point. 

• Haha 1

Depending on how frontloaded it is, $15-20M should be the target, the higher end of which would make the highest-grossing movie of Guadagnino's career in one weekend. Not shabby.

It’s also rated R. A lot of the tiktok crowd can’t even see it.

7 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Not a bad start. Nice that the month will end on a somewhat not disappointing note even though the box office is likely gonna suck for every other movie.

Is this $1.9 included in Monday's EA shows?