AniNate

Coco | Pixar / Lee Unkrich | New attraction announced at DCA

2 hours ago, Carlangonz said:

Actually some mexican cultures did celebrations to their dear deads even before Spain took the country and gave end to most of civilizations.

In other news

Yes.  I don't disagree.  That's the aspect that Mexicans bring to Dia de Muertos.  It was celebrated at a different time of year and for a longer span before Catholicism came to Mexico.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sal said:

Dia de los Muertos is not a Christian event.  It is the result of Catholicism trying to overwrite native Central American culture and the way that Mexicans adapted SOME of the aspects to themselves rather than simply taking them as the Spanish intended them to.  In fact most Christians (and Catholics) in America who aren't of Mexican/Latino origin don't regard Dia de los Muertos fondly or even think about it at all.

Mexican pre-colombine cultures celebrated some ritual to their deceased (as probably any single culture around the globe) and that was in august, during the harvesting time. After spaniards arrived, that "dead commemoration" was moved to 1st Nov but local cultures aspects remained to get a particular local event of the catholic commemoration of All Saints' Day (or Dia de Todos los Santos, which is the general given name). 

1st Nov is the stipulated official day for All Saint's Day in big part of christian churches (catholics, anglicans, protestants ... only Eastern Orthodox Churches in Europe commemorate different times of the year for their dead, and not in nov.). It's true that this christian celebration is not as big/spread as Christmas or Passion Week.

8 hours ago, forg said:

We do commemorate our departed ones during Nov. 1 and 2 here in the Philippines and cemeteries are packed on those days where it's common for families to spend overnight and have some sort of picnic there as well. It's quite similar to Dia de Muertas although it's not as festive. 

Anyway, I do think the movie would resonate to a broad audience mostly because of the strong family ties (even beyond the grave) that the movie highlights

In fact, the christian celebration covers two days: Nov 1st as All Saints' Day (which is a more festive and celebrating), and Nov 2nd as All Souls' Day or Faithful Departed's Day (which is a more praying and mourning day).

8 hours ago, Carlangonz said:

Actually some mexican cultures did celebrations to their dear deads even before Spain took the country and gave end to most of civilizations.

Yeah, sure, spaniards were pure evil ... though mexican precolombine tribes used to cannibalize and exterminate themselves (without any external help) with extreme savage rituals ... yeah, very good. They lived in heaven before Spaniards landed (also Portugal France and Netherlands landed). Maybe you would have preferred the british to land before, and get your local cultures and people preserved today in tiny "fenced" reserves as in a zoo, as happens in north america, right? 

Go to "british america" and tell me how many indian-like people you see in the street, in the government, leading companies... and then go to any "spanish-portuguese america" and tell me how many indian-like people you see. 

As per Coco, i'm very happy it's the biggest movie ever in Mexico, and i keep saying (and hoping) it gets a successful ww run, as good as InsideOut did ( around $800M+)

Edited by meriodejaneiro

2 hours ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Yeah, sure, spaniards were pure evil ... though mexican precolombine tribes used to cannibalize and exterminate themselves (without any external help) with extreme savage rituals ... yeah, very good. They lived in heaven before Spaniards landed (also Portugal France and Netherlands landed). Maybe you would have preferred the british to land before, and get your local cultures and people preserved today in tiny "fenced" reserves as in a zoo, as happens in north america, right? 

Wait, what? No, i didn't mean that Spain were the bad guys, and i'm aware of how different civilizations took power and territory conquering other smaller civilizations. I'm just saying that there were a lot of traces and elements that got lost or reduced in the process, but that's something i've should skipped.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

This is the first time I've heard about this movie. I thought all the 'Coco' talk on the JL thread was some lame in-joke I wasn't privy to.

:blink:

This thread's been on the main page fairly regularly. If I were less evolved, I'd admonish you for ignoring it in favor of a crappy superhero movie.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

This thread's been on the main page fairly regularly. If I were less evolved, I'd admonish you for ignoring it in favor of a crappy superhero movie.

If I were less evolved I'd suggest you lighten up.

Lucky we're both so evolved, eh? ;)

Edited by Hatebox

5 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

If I were less evolved I'd suggest you to lighten up.

Lucky we're both so evolved, eh? ;)

It's a good thing to be open about your feelings while being self-aware of how immature they are.

But yeah, as probably the movie I'm looking forward to the most this season, I've heard enough of the "no buzz", "it's gonna bomb" crap that I can't really find humor in it.

Edited by tribefan695

2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

It's a good thing to be open about your feelings while being self-aware of how immature they are.

But yeah, as probably the movie I'm looking forward to the most this season, I've heard enough of the "no buzz", "it's gonna bomb" crap that I can't really find humor in it.

Lighten up, Francis.

5 hours ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Mexican pre-colombine cultures celebrated some ritual to their deceased (as probably any single culture around the globe) and that was in august, during the harvesting time. After spaniards arrived, that "dead commemoration" was moved to 1st Nov but local cultures aspects remained to get a particular local event of the catholic commemoration of All Saints' Day (or Dia de Todos los Santos, which is the general given name). 

1st Nov is the stipulated official day for All Saint's Day in big part of christian churches (catholics, anglicans, protestants ... only Eastern Orthodox Churches in Europe commemorate different times of the year for their dead, and not in nov.). It's true that this christian celebration is not as big/spread as Christmas or Passion Week.

In fact, the christian celebration covers two days: Nov 1st as All Saints' Day (which is a more festive and celebrating), and Nov 2nd as All Souls' Day or Faithful Departed's Day (which is a more praying and mourning day).

Go to "british america" and tell me how many indian-like people you see in the street, in the government, leading companies... and then go to any "spanish-portuguese america" and tell me how many indian-like people you see. 

As per Coco, i'm very happy it's the biggest movie ever in Mexico, and i keep saying (and hoping) it gets a successful ww run, as good as InsideOut did ( around $800M+)

That doesn't change that All Saints Day isn't the same as Dia de Muerto in most Catholic countries.  The idea that Catholics would automatically embrace it just because it incorporates some aspects of a Catholic celebration (and it is functionally very different in both appearance and in other details) is not necessarily true.  A lot of non-Mexican Christians I know are baffled by dia de muertos traditions, especially the altar and the idea of skulls as decoration.  Obviously they don't consider it the same as their 'Christian' holidays.

Which is not to say I don't hope Coco will do well. I hope like hell it does because the mexican-american population is high but media catering to us is low.  I just don't know that some vague (to the masses) connection to a Catholic/Christian celebration will have any real boost.  Tbh it probably gets more boost from people who confuse it with Halloween.

• Like 1

With a 20-Day total of $842M MXN, Coco has passed Marvel's The Avengers to become the highest grossing film ever in Mexico.

No. 1 by admissions

No. 1 by gross

No. 5 adjusted by inflation. Will be No. 1 after it passes Toy Story 3 ($1,033M)

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, cannastop said:

I just hope it doesn't have disappointing previews of its own. It needs to get $2m.

If the presales on the Buzz and Tracking thread are any indication, it should do fine, given Cars 3 cleared $2.8M.

Still expecting a slightly less front-loaded OW for this than Moana.

2 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

I wonder if I'm going to end up being the one guy defending the short.

This is kind of reminding me of Lava where everyone just railed it but I thought it was cute and innocuous.

I wasn't around here back then. But if I recall correctly Tele thinks Lava is pretty decent too. (As do I - still don't understand to this day why so many people hate it.)