AniNate

Coco | Pixar / Lee Unkrich | Now playing | #1 all-time in Mexico

1 hour ago, Fullbuster said:

Pixar doesn't need other people to be inventive, Inside Out is here to prove it.

Inside out eh   http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/disney-accused-stealing-inside-plot-new-lawsuit-1015217

Anyways, hopefully they calm down with the rip- offs and pointless sequel( Incredibles 2 aside) stuff going forward 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NCsoft said:

Well the first rotten on RT certainly came quickly, the same thing happened to Dory and it turned out fine mostly. We'll see how where this trends with more reviews, I feel positive that I'll really enjoy this one, it's my kind of movie.

The early reviews for this seem to echo that of Moana (excellent music and visuals, great representation of the culture it's based on, a perfectly solid plot that leans towards the familiar side), so it'll probably be trend upwards from here on out.

It'll be interesting to see what the first Pixar film to land in the 80s on RT will be.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Hades said:

Inside out eh   http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/disney-accused-stealing-inside-plot-new-lawsuit-1015217

Anyways, hopefully they calm down with the rip- offs and pointless sequel( Incredibles 2 aside) stuff going forward 

There were also lawsuits thrown against Zootopia and Frozen as well you know. When something's popular, people will make all sorts of accusation, doesn't mean it's actually a ripoff though. The similarities could be entirely coincidental after all.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hades said:

Yeah, they should be grateful for the Pixar rip-off.. 

You are aware that Pixar was working on Coco well before the first public announcement of The Book of Life, right?

Also, I don't think what we've seen so far is enough to suggest the films are substantively similar. Unless you also think all Christmas-themed family films are rip-offs of each other, for example.

Edited by Jason
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

3 fresh/1 rotten so far.

I don't think this will get +90% on RT. The Variety review while fresh, was lukewarm as well.

I think Dory also got its first rotten within the first few reviews, it could still get there, generally it's not hard to a Pixar film to get into 90% on RT even if it's not top tier quality. 90+ on MTC though, that's strictly top tier territory, I don't think we'll see one of those again from Pixar until the 2020s.....

Edited by NCsoft

9 minutes ago, Bemused Usher said:

Mexican Youtuber who attended the FICM showing (guy has 380k subs). Seems pretty high on the film. Anyone speak Español?

In the first minute he tells people he won't spoil them and he explains the story.

9 min is a bit long so I didn't go further ^^

26 minutes ago, Tauren Warlock said:

My prediction:

OW: $85 million

Domestic: $290 million

Worldwide: $820 million

It's ambitious and I hope you're right but given the past trends I'd be happy with $600m. Anything beyond $700m would be fantastic.

We went yesterday to Coco's premiere and is everything we expected: visual treasure, very emotional and colorful story.

Sometimes Coco exceeds as 'mexican curious', in some other mocks of Frida Kahlo's cult, but it has such an emotional ending that rivals Up's (prologue)

Coco: Pedro Infante + Fitzgerald + Calacán + a little bit of Sara García + Magic Towns. It's the weirdest Pixar 'til now.

Coco es una película que debe ser vista y que se agradece exista para enaltecer una de las tradiciones más bellas de nuestro país, sin embargo se inscribe entre las películas menos aventuradas de un estudio que anteriormente nos acostumbró a obras maestras más propositivas en lo argumental y lo visual como Wall·E, Up o la propia trilogía de Toy Story.

Coco is a must-see and its pleasant that exists to praise one of the most beautiful traditions of our country, however, it's one of the least risky movies of a studio that accostumed us to masterpieces better developed on an argumental and visual level, like Wall-E, Up or the Toy Story trilogy. Cinema Móvil. 3/5

Sin embargo, a pesar de esto y de la fórmula tradicional Pixar siempre presente, Coco es un paso gigantesco para el estudio: la exploración de cómo hacer una historia universal, pero verdaderamente enraizada en lo valioso de otra forma de pensar y de identificarse, sin apropiaciones.

However, despite this (dubbing and score) and the traditional Pixar formula always present, Coco is a big step for the studio: the exploration of how to do an universal story, but truly taking over the value of another way of thinking and feel identified, with no domination. CINE PREMIERE. 4/5

After a couple of days at Morelian Film Festival, to stand-out: Coco, Loveless, Becoming Gary Grant and Call Me By Your Name.

Coco es un filme sobre  la celebración de la familia, la importancia de los recuerdos y la conexión a través de las generaciones; el hecho de que el protagonista se cuestione sus orígenes, cuál es su lugar dentro de su familia y los vínculos que se crean a partir del simple acto de recordar, responden a una necesidad humana universal.

Coco is a film about the celebration of the family, the importance of memories and conection through generations; the fact that the main character questions about its origins, what's his place inside of his family and bonds created from the simple act of remember, answer to a universal human necesity. En Fime. 4/5

Things that american people thinks are very mexican but they're really things to be ashamed of:

Burritos

Taco Bell

Cinco de Mayo

Speedy González

Frida (Kahlo)

Coco

5 movies so far: Coco, Good Time, Mark Felt, Becoming Gary Grant and Call Me By Your Name. All good; the first one keeps as my favorite.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2