AniNate

Coco | Pixar / Lee Unkrich | Now playing | #1 all-time in Mexico

14 hours ago, cannastop said:

Who even said this?

I did, and I still think it looks like Dreamworks dogshit as the consensus among critics (although I didn’t read reviews, just the excerpts people posted here) seems to be “mexican culture fun, everything else not that great”. 

Doesn’t hurt to remind that the very mediocre Dory also scored big among critics. Critics have been pretty soft on animation since Pixar’s downfall in the beginning of the decade.

4 minutes ago, Goffe said:

I did, and I still think it looks like Dreamworks dogshit as the consensus among critics (although I didn’t read reviews, just the excerpts people posted here) seems to be “mexican culture fun, everything else not that great”. 

Doesn’t hurt to remind that the very mediocre Dory also scored big among critics. Critics have been pretty soft on animation since Pixar’s downfall in the beginning of the decade.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, bladels said:

Thank God we get the same release date as in the US for Coco this time. Pixar usually wait months to release their films in Vietnam. 

That's something i don't like about Pixar. They rarely schedule a compact worldwide opening for their movies. They spread it along the months. 

Coco opens in USA Nov.22nd along with many other countries, but France and Germany come a week later (end of november); Spain, Greece, Australia, NZ, Italia along december; Brazil, Argentina, UK in january; Norway, Sweden, Denmark in february; Japan in march ... that makes almost 6 months since first opening (Mexico) to last opening (Japan). And it makes it's boxoffice a bit boring to track imo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goffe said:

You've always posted from a place of intelligence so I haven't put you on ignore, but you're now becoming like that obnoxiously negative BK007 guy who used to post here. If all you're going to do is categorically denounce anything Pixar does from here on out, then you really should find a new fandom. 

Edited by tribefan695

1 minute ago, bladels said:

Finding Dory is a good movie but definitely doesn't deserve those high ratings 

It seems like nobody want to go against the highest-grossing animated film of all time (DOM)

Rather the overwhelming majority of critics liked it - as you did.   It's avg rating 7.5 wasn't in the same stratosphere as Inside Out's 8.9 avg

Fa more puzzling to me is Lego Batman with a 91% grade and a 7.5 avg.  :sick:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tribefan695 said:

You've always posted from a place of intelligence so I haven't put you on ignore, but you're now becoming like that obnoxiously negative BK007 guy who used to post here. If all you're going to do is categorically denounce anything Pixar does from here on out, then you really should find a new fandom. 

I only replied to Cannastop because he asked, and I found more prudent to come forward before some smart-ass on my ignore list “denounced” me, you know, like you did. 

I haven’t posted anything in this thread for ages.

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

Rather the overwhelming majority of critics liked it - as you did.   It's avg rating 7.5 wasn't in the same stratosphere as Inside Out's 8.9 avg

Fa more puzzling to me is Lego Batman with a 91% grade and a 7.5 avg.  :sick:

Lego Batman was a lot of fun. :D

• Like 3
  • Disbelief 1

3 hours ago, Goffe said:

I mean, from a business standpoint, i understand Pixar. Cars 2, Finding Dory, Toy Story 3 - all of them are surefire hits, Incredibles 2 wont be an exception. Inside Out is really the only masterpiece from them since Wall-E in 2008.

And Coco looks just like another generic animated family movie. And i dont mean that as a negative per se, but i also miss the Pixar that came up with really original ideas in the 2000s. Like a rat as a cook? Something as outlandish as that helped Pixar so set them apart from other animated studios. Now they are just one of them. Though i still prefer their films any day of the week over an Illumination movie.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

I mean, from a business standpoint, i understand Pixar. Cars 2, Finding Dory, Toy Story 3 - all of them are surefire hits, Incredibles 2 wont be an exception. Inside Out is really the only masterpiece from them since Wall-E in 2008.

And Coco looks just like another generic animated family movie. And i dont mean that as a negative per se, but i also miss the Pixar that came up with really original ideas in the 2000s. Like a rat as a cook? Something as outlandish as that helped Pixar so set them apart from other animated studios. Now they are just one of them. Though i still prefer their films any day of the week over an Illumination movie.

Well to be fair being original doesn't automatically make a film "great", and Coco has a neat concept to begin with. I'm glad to read that it succeeds for the most part. I'm really looking forward to it of course. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, meriodejaneiro said:

That's something i don't like about Pixar. They rarely schedule a compact worldwide opening for their movies. They spread it along the months. 

Coco opens in USA Nov.22nd along with many other countries, but France and Germany come a week later (end of november); Spain, Greece, Australia, NZ, Italia along december; Brazil, Argentina, UK in january; Norway, Sweden, Denmark in february; Japan in march ... that makes almost 6 months since first opening (Mexico) to last opening (Japan). And it makes it's boxoffice a bit boring to track imo. 

If Disney did do day and date, it would get lost against local competition. Disney looks at each market and decides when they can maximise revenue. In the UK for example the big family film is Paddington 2 and December is Star Wars so going for January where the family competition is pretty minimal apart from Early Man means they can take advantage of the February holidays.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

Well to be fair being original doesn't automatically make a film "great", and Coco has a neat concept to begin with. I'm glad to read that it succeeds for the most part. I'm really looking forward to it of course. 

I mean, ill see it anyway ;). And ofc, purely beeing original doesnt equal greatness (Brave :kitschjob:), but i just think that Pixar shoundt do so many sequels. Apart from Toy Story 2 and 3, none of them were that good imo. Hopefully Incredibles 2 changes that pattern.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I mean, ill see it anyway ;). And ofc, purely beeing original doesnt equal greatness (Brave :kitschjob:), but i just think that Pixar shoundt do so many sequels. Apart from Toy Story 2 and 3, none of them were that good imo. Hopefully Incredibles 2 changes that pattern.

You're in luck, after Incredibles 2 and Toy Story 4, they're likely not gonna do another sequel for a few more years. 4 non sequels in a row. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

You're in luck, after Incredibles 2 and Toy Story 4, they're likely not gonna do another sequel for a few more years. 4 non sequels in a row. 

2020 will see two original films. I don't see the point of Pixar releasing two films every so often, surely they should stick to one Pixar, one WDAS a year

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

2020 will see two original films. I don't see the point of Pixar releasing two films every so often, surely they should stick to one Pixar, one WDAS a year

They're making more films now at a faster pace thanks to evolving technology when it comes to computer animation, so I imagine they'll be releasing two films more commonly every year now. Personally I'm fine with it,  but if they try to go to three films a year, then yeah I'll say they're going a bit too "wee" overboard. Lets just hope most of the upcoming animated films aren't plagued with problems, as unlikely as that seems. 

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

They're making more films now at a faster pace thanks to evolving technology when it comes to computer animation, so I imagine they'll be releasing two films more commonly every year now. Personally I'm fine with it,  but if they try to go to three films a year, then yeah I'll say they're going a bit too "wee" overboard. Lets just hope most of the upcoming animated films aren't plagued with problems, as unlikely as that seems. 

I do think if every studio started to release 2-3 films a year, the market is going to oversaturated and there is a dilution of quality. Pixar and WDAS not so much but it's evident with the likes of SPA.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I do think if every studio started to release 2-3 films a year, the market is going to oversaturated and there is a dilution of quality. Pixar and WDAS not so much but it's evident with the likes of SPA.

2020:

SPA: 4 films

Universal: 4 films 

Fox: 3 films

Paramount: 2 films

Disney: 3 films

WB: 1 film 

That is for major animation.

• Like 1