AniNate

Coco | Pixar / Lee Unkrich | Now playing | #1 all-time in Mexico

27 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yay! I've definitely been highly skeptical on whether or not this would or could do well, but I'm happy to hear it sounds like we could finally have a real animated hit in this awful year for the medium. 

Yeah, it's going to play well as a 4 quadrant hit. Watching it I thought it could have mini frozen run. Such an emotional movie, perfect for holidays.

• Like 2

As an animation fan, although I haven’t seen Coco yet, it’s sad the only good ones this year were Lego Batman, Boss Baby and Underpants. Everything else ranged from forgettable to shit.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PNF2187 said:

Whoa, if Coco's budget is actually on the high end of the estimates ($225M), that'll make it the second most expensive animated film of all time and the most expensive Pixar of all time.

Where did you get that number? Sounds weird such a high budget for Coco. If so, that would explain the 0$ spent on marketing. 

For comparison, other Pixar production budgets (according to BOM):

Toy Story: n/a

A Bug's Life: 120M

Toy Story 2: 90M

Monsters Inc: 115M

Finding Nemo: 94M

The Incredibles: 92M

Cars: 120M

Ratatouille: 150M

Wall-E: 180M

Up: 175M

Toy Story 3: 200M

Cars 2: 200M

Brave: 185M

Monsters Univ.: n/a

Inside Out: 175M

The Good Dinosaur: n/a

Finding Dory: n/a

Cars 3: n/a

Coco: n/a

Just for the record ... every Pixar movie made more dom. than their budget except for Cars 2 (190 dom - 200 bdg). Toy Story (192M dom), Monsters Univ. (268M dom) and Finding Dory (486M dom) I highly doubt  will have budgets higher than their dom #s. The Good Dinosaur with 123M dom, could be the 2nd case. Cars 3 (153M dom) could be the 3rd case. So, Cars 2 and Cars 3 are forgiven because they are meant for merchandise (their box office were loose change in comparison). So only TGD had  dom < prod.budget. 

Does it mean Pixar is expecting Coco to make 225M dom? That means they'd trust a lot in their product but, so much as to barely market it?

I think it will go to 250-300M dom, with good legs till end of Christmas in jan 2018 as Moana did. Also the Oscar nomination (mid jan.) will give it a final boost.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Where did you get that number? Sounds weird such a high budget for Coco. If so, that would explain the 0$ spent on marketing.

From Deadline:

"Coco carries a reported production cost in the Pixar range which is typically between $175M-$200M before P&A, however, those in the animation world believe it’s much higher north of $225M."

Hopefully it's on the lower end of the scale instead of the higher end (but that higher end would explain how impossibly beautiful this movie looks). I'd imagine the budget caps out at $200M since I doubt that they'd spend more unless there was a complete overhaul in the software and hardware they used or there was a massive issue in production ala TGD.

5 minutes ago, PNF2187 said:

From Deadline:

"Coco carries a reported production cost in the Pixar range which is typically between $175M-$200M before P&A, however, those in the animation world believe it’s much higher north of $225M."

Hopefully it's on the lower end of the scale instead of the higher end (but that higher end would explain how impossibly beautiful this movie looks). I'd imagine the budget caps out at $200M since I doubt that they'd spend more unless there was a complete overhaul in the software and hardware they used or there was a massive issue in production ala TGD.

Also insideout was extremely visually attractive, and costed 175M. Is Coco more impressive than InsideOut??

1 minute ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Also insideout was extremely visually attractive, and costed 175M. Is Coco more impressive than InsideOut??

From what I've seen so far of Coco's visuals, I'm gonna say yeah. Plus, Pixar films almost always manage to outdo the last ones to come out, and Coco doesn't seem to be an exception.

A bit of a confession: I love Inside Out, but Joy's fuzziness always bothered me a little. I get what they were going for with her, but her design was and is still a little off putting to me.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Visually Coco is more impressive.

But the most stunning visually in the recent Pixar movies is The Good Dinosaur, I bet that's more expensive considering it had production delay as well

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SteveJaros said:

Saw CoCo this morning, a couple of observations:

1) The Frozen "short" isn't your typical 5-minute cartoon that runs before a Pixar or Disney animated movie. I clocked it at a solid 20 minutes, so long that at a certain point I thought they decided to dump CoCo and release Frozen 2 this Thanksgiving instead, LOL. It's OK, though a little on the PC side for me, but I doubt 53 year old men are the target audience for it, LOL.

2) CoCo itself grew on me. Started slow, after 10 minutes i thought "this is confusing, too Mexico-centric for USA audiences, and kind of a colorful mess". Then, just when that opinion was firming, the story took hold and the pieces fell in to place. For the next 1:30 minutes, i enjoyed it quite much.

A solid "B", or about 742/1000.

It's a lot closer to 30 minutes. It started at 10:27 and ended at 10:57. I looked at my watch during the credits.

Saw Coco with my siblings today and it was so beautiful. I think I cried for the last 30 min and I heard other sniffles in the crowd. My siblings loved it as well. The music isn’t really remarkable and it started off kinda slow, but it definitely packs a punch in the last 30 min or so. I’ll have watch it again and I really hope it catches on and does really well. It’s a family movie with a great message. 

The Frozen short was also pretty good. Didn’t feel long to me. While buying our tickets, the theater employee had to mention the short because people apparently weren’t aware and complained about it the night before. 

• Like 7

I've been scanning twitter reactions to the movie and mostly "I cried" tweets  and also a lot people seeing their own grandparents through Mama Coco. The character design for Mama Coco really exudes a real life grandparent. There's warmth that transcends.

Just even listening to the Remember Me duet of Miguel and Mam Coco on Spotify already makes me teary eyed, their voices just hits it hard

I will likely see this again

Edited by forg
  • Like 5

IMDB says this is an hour and 50 minutes, which means with that 20 minute "short" and previews this is going to be clocking in around a whopping 2 and a half hours in the theater. I wonder if that will affect WOM, that's a really long time for younger kids to sit and keep their attention. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

IMDB says this is an hour and 50 minutes, which means with that 20 minute "short" and previews this is going to be clocking in around a whopping 2 and a half hours in the theater. I wonder if that will affect WOM, that's a really long time for younger kids to sit and keep their attention. 

Probably won't matter much, this has an A+ Cinemascore...

First Pixar movie to get that rating since Up, and the first animated Thanksgiving release to get it since Frozen.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Due to that short being Frozen related....I doubt it.

5 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I mean...it didn’t seem like people loved the short, but it was fine imo. My brother and the other kids in the theater liked it and laughed along. And he paid attention to the movie fine, even scooting closer to the screen at certain points. The music is upbeat enough to have kids dancing along. I don’t know what it’d be like for 2-3 year olds, but the length wasn’t an issue for a 5 year old and it didn’t feel long to me either. Our showing started at 7:15p and we were about 5 min early and we were in our cars by 9:35p.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, somebody85 said:

It's a lot closer to 30 minutes. It started at 10:27 and ended at 10:57. I looked at my watch during the credits.

It's 21 min. It's a TV holiday special that was bumped to feature status due to worries of a poor Coco box office reception, which I feel was ill-warranted. If anything, it clogs showtimes and makes the overall theatrical experience cumbersome by having it clock in at nearly two and a half hours. Hopefully Disney will pull it from theaters earlier than expected, as it will air on ABC near Christmas next month.

Film was wonderful, audible sobbing in the theater and audiences seemed to really love it. Visually astounding, easily one of Pixar's best. I think it will perform very strong this season. Predicting a total of 270m+

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, goldenstate5 said:

It's 21 min. It's a TV holiday special that was bumped to feature status due to worries of a poor Coco box office reception, which I feel was ill-warranted. If anything, it clogs showtimes and makes the overall theatrical experience cumbersome by having it clock in at nearly two and a half hours. Hopefully Disney will pull it from theaters earlier than expected, as it will air on ABC near Christmas next month.

Film was wonderful, audible sobbing in the theater and audiences seemed to really love it. Visually astounding, easily one of Pixar's best. I think it will perform very strong this season. Predicting a total of 270m+

Really? I checked my watch and the showtime was at 10:10. It started at 10:27 and went all the way until 10:57. I must have misjudged.

I doubt they will pull it though. That's going to be really popular with fans of Frozen. Makes sense ABC would air it though.