AniNate

Coco | Pixar / Lee Unkrich | Now playing | #1 all-time in Mexico

My theater Ontario Mills 30 was sold out or almost sold out for the 7pm Coco:

https://tickets.fandango.com/MobileExpressSeatSelection

^ I use Fandango.com and select a reserve seating theater to see how many empty seats there are.

I checked 20 mins before showtime and Coco 7pm only had 6 seats open. By 10 mins in only 2 seats were left. 

3 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Rashida Jones denied that her leaving Toy Story 4 had anything to do with harassment. Honestly, how hard would it have been for THR to reach out to her for a comment before running that part.. 

The story's so much bigger at this point that they probably decided they could run it first to get the clicks and make corrections later with little backlash. And honestly, they were right.

I love Pixar and all, but from the wage-suppressing by Catmull and now the harassment from Lasseter, they seem pretty despicable at the top.

Did Bird, Docter and Unkrich know? 

And, quite unfortunately, for a studio that produced films with such high moral integrity, that their workplace culture was basically like absolutely any other.

I suppose, in hindsight, hardly surprising when most of these disruptive companies are still basically made up of males with backward values.

• Like 3

The main question is where does WDAS go from here. If Docter or Stanton take over or someone else in the brain trust (maybe Darla K. Anderson due to her history of producing Pixar movies) Pixar at worst will deal with Coco flopping and maybe a mediocre Incredibles 2. The brain trust even without Lassiter is strong enough for Pixar to survive. They probably had a game plan from the beginning if something were to happen. WDAS doesn’t have a stable brain trust, who’d take over there.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BK007 said:

I love Pixar and all, but from the wage-suppressing by Catmull and now the harassment from Lasseter, they seem pretty despicable at the top.

Did Bird, Docter and Unkrich know? 

Hard to imagine they didn't when the Vanity Fair article mentions a 2010 phone call between senior people at Pixar and Disney about the Lasseter problem. 

• Like 1

It's unfortunate Lasseter is overshadowing COCO because it's Pixar's best work since TOY STORY 3, even if the climax and villain are very familiar. Maybe I'm just too aware of Pixar's playbook or they need to draw up another play or two. Regardless I'll admit it, the ending moved me.

That Frozen short however in front of it can go to hell. It's a decent 7 minute short stretched out to 21. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

It seemed like both studios were in need of some new leadership anyway with their reliance on sequels and Gigantic getting cancelled. In hindsight I... can see how this might have happened. More devastating would've been someone like Bird or Stanton.

Bird.

Stanton has proven himself to be egotistical and arrogant.

But Docter and Unkrich have also been publicly portrayed as good people, so those would hurt.

This is all personally of course.

No doubt Lasseter has the most impact due to his position.

9 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

Hard to imagine they didn't when the Vanity Fair article mentions a 2010 phone call between senior people at Pixar and Disney about the Lasseter problem. 

I only read the THR and Variety ones from the Harvey thread. 

(Btw THR's reporting/writing was pretty terrible, if they were really working on it for awhile, makes it even worse.)

I'll check it out now.

2 minutes ago, BK007 said:

Bird.

Stanton has proven himself to be egotistical and arrogant.

But Docter and Unkrich have also been publicly portrayed as good people, so those would hurt.

This is all personally of course.

No doubt Lasseter has the most impact due to his position.

Bird is pretty arrogant too, but what can one expect of a man who was so rich that his family got him personal training from disney animators at 14 and then paid his full tuition to CalArts years later because he just wanted to go even though he already had a job in the industry.  The real problem with Bird is that he's just out of touch with portraying characters who aren't white men.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, YourMother said:

The main question is where does WDAS go from here. If Docter or Stanton take over or someone else in the brain trust (maybe Darla K. Anderson due to her history of producing Pixar movies) Pixar at worst will deal with Coco flopping and maybe a mediocre Incredibles 2. The brain trust even without Lassiter is strong enough for Pixar to survive. They probably had a game plan from the beginning if something were to happen. WDAS doesn’t have a stable brain trust, who’d take over there.

Not sure why Incredibles 2 would turn out to be mediocre because of this?

Lasseter hasn't been directly involved with productions for a long time.

Even if WDAS doesn't have a stable Brain Trust, look at the work they've put out recently. Most are better than Pixar's recent pretty woeful efforts.

Anyway, I'm sure they will find a better working formula, unless the Brain Trust are all also jerks. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

I think this may actually be more damaging to Walt Disney Animation than Pixar. He truly had been the guy they looked up to there and had been pretty much receiving all the credit for their revival. I don't know who really could take over for him at this point.

Maybe Rich Moore and Jennifer Lee. He was a valued writer to Simpsons and Futurama and involved in the Ralph franchise and Zootopia, and she made their juggernaut in Frozen.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sal said:

Bird is pretty arrogant too, but what can one expect of a man who was so rich that his family got him personal training from disney animators at 14 and then paid his full tuition to CalArts years later because he just wanted to go even though he already had a job in the industry.  The real problem with Bird is that he's just out of touch with portraying characters who aren't white men.

Hmm. Guess I haven't read/paid attention to any of his history.

Seemed pretty private/closed off. Or maybe I didn't follow Tomorrowland? 

I know that the stuff about Stanton only came out during John Carter.

8 minutes ago, BK007 said:

Not sure why Incredibles 2 would turn out to be mediocre because of this?

Lasseter hasn't been directly involved with productions for a long time.

Even if WDAS doesn't have a stable Brain Trust, look at the work they've put out recently. Most are better than Pixar's recent pretty woeful efforts.

Anyway, I'm sure they will find a better working formula, unless the Brain Trust are all also jerks. 

Lassiter bought WDAS back from the dead. He although he was the executive producer and did little for the films nowadays, he got all the credit for their revitalization.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rebeccas said:

Rashida Jones denied that her leaving Toy Story 4 had anything to do with harassment. Honestly, how hard would it have been for THR to reach out to her for a comment before running that part.. 

They did. The original article stated (and still states), "THR made repeated requests for comment to Jones and McCormack starting on Nov. 7 but received no response."

The article has since been edited to add Jones' (and McCormack's) public statement, which seems to be focused on Pixar being an environment that doesn't give women and people of colour an equal voice in the creative process. It seems that the two of them decided they didn't want to comment for the article, and decided instead to release their own statement after.

Peace,

Mike

5 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Lassiter bought WDAS back from the dead. He although the executive producer got all the credit for their revitalization.

Are you talking about commercially or critically? 

Honestly, I don't care about how well the Incredibles 2 does, just as long as it is good. 

I'd like it to do well, but I'd rather not more sequels.

Regarding WDAS, how much of it do we really attribute to him? Of course we can't just bring up bad movies, but he gave us Cars 2 and 3. 

If the purported Brain Trust was really true, then I'm sure they could do well. Even if there is some alienation of certain male employees, minorities and women are not less creative or imaginative. 

Plus, even if we have to factor in growing pains, it's not like Pixar have done very well of late anyway with Dory, University, Cars 2, Good Dinosaur being quite forgettable or downright crap.

• Like 3

Just now, BK007 said:

Are you talking about commercially or critically? 

Honestly, I don't care about how well the Incredibles 2 does, just as long as it is good. 

I'd like it to do well, but I'd rather not more sequels.

Regarding WDAS, how much of it do we really attribute to him? Of course we can't just bring up bad movies, but he gave us Cars 2 and 3. 

If the purported Brain Trust was really true, then I'm sure they could do well. Even if there is some alienation of certain male employees, minorities and women are not less creative or imaginative. 

Plus, even if we have to factor in growing pains, it's not like Pixar have done very well of late anyway with Dory, University, Cars 2, Good Dinosaur being quite forgettable or downright crap.

After further research it seems nowadays Lassiter just gets the executive producer as a title with little input. So Incredibles 2 will be fine. Worse case scenario is the Cars universe is dead along with TS4.

He was given credit through both the media and the animation community but that slowed down during the recent years. 

Dory was great but fair point.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

Even if they did, I'm sure one could understand why it would be just as hard for them to publicly out him as it was for any of his accusers. They probably hoped the matter would resolve itself internally and not royally fuck everything up as it's now going to do.

• Like 2

This hurts me... even more than the Kevin Spacey scandal.

John Lasseter was my first movie idol ever since I saw him in the documentaries of my Disney DVD collection. His childlike wonder and passion for his work is what made me like him both as an artist and as a person. He was a role model to me and the reason why I deeply love animation in general and the first person who made me understand at a young age that to make a great movie, story comes first. And of course his efforts to revive Disney Animation made me respect him even more.

Now I see this and I honestly feel betrayed, heartbroken and baffled. I don't know how to handle this. I want this sexual harrasment nightmare to end.

Edited by Boxx93