Eric Prime

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga (2024) Spoiler Thread

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga (2024)  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

Very mixed on this. Love Fury Road, which was probably my favorite movie of 2015 or at least close...this one just kinda dragged for me. It isn't bad, Hemsworth is a fun villain and the action (though there's not enough) is pretty good, but the revenge storyline just kinda bored me and was resolved in a pretty anticlimactic way. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Menor the Destroyer said:

Very mixed on this. Love Fury Road, which was probably my favorite movie of 2015 or at least close...this one just kinda dragged for me. It isn't bad, Hemsworth is a fun villain and the action (though there's not enough) is pretty good, but the revenge storyline just kinda bored me and was resolved in a pretty anticlimactic way. 

yep kind of agree with this.

Overall I give it a B+

I enjoyed the movie overall but not as good as FR. 

The first part of the movie with her younger self was too long. That could have easily been told in maybe 30 minutes and then got to Joy’s version. 

I enjoyed everything after that up to the climax which I thought was a bit anticlimactic. I would have preferred if they had done one last big chase sequence where she has to stop him from getting to the green place. 

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, junkshop36 said:

I thought was a bit anticlimactic. I would have preferred if they had done one last big chase sequence where she has to stop him from getting to the green place. 

Or he could try  to hide in Gastown, change his appearance. It was briefly shown two times. Smoke and fire, great setting

Edited by cinema pal

3 hours ago, Mad Max007 said:

Had a blast with this on both of my viewings. Elsa Pataky(Mrs Hemsworth) plays two characters which I noticed on my rewatch lol.

Wasn't she found by the villain and was forced to fight which caused her to have a deformed mouth?

8 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Wasn't she found by the villain and was forced to fight which caused her to have a deformed mouth?

Two different characters. The blonde at the beginning and the biker woman who joins Dementus after defeating the others in Thunderdome style fight.

Posted (edited)

Pointless prequel giving me answers to questions I dont wanna know. Defeats the mystique of the character. Why recast her. Anya Taylor-Joy has none of the menace or grit of Charlize. Although the transition from the little girl to Anya was impressive. I really struggled to care about any of the characters.

The action is so weak compared to fury road. CGI is clunky and the colours/cinematography is just off. It looks ugly. The action lacks the impact and nastiness. Just animated cars driving in ridiculous ways. Couldn't believe any of it.

This sucked. Completely wasted opportunity for the Furiosa character. Should have been a sequel not a prequel. Chris Hemsworth was good.

edit: Oh and to add insult to injury, the fucking NERVE of Miller to add a mashup of scenes from Fury Road over the end credits.... bruh. Its literally dangling it in your face like "Hey remember how good this movie was? Well tough, you can't have it."

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 3

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

The action lacks the impact and nastiness. Just animated cars driving in ridiculous ways. Couldn't believe any of it.

I don't know what people are talking about. Sure there's some noticeable greenscreen here and there and color grading is kinda ugly, but car crashes looked pretty real to me. It took 78 (?) days and a lot of  people to shoot that chase scene in  chapter 3. 

I rewatched FR right after Furiosa. Fascinating movie, but CG is noticeable there too.

• Like 1

Script problems, miscast actors, and a long runtime round up the issues I had with this movie.

Stunts - 74/100 | They really amped up the CGI here, lots of dubious shots throughout, even though some of the stunts were still great. The difference in aesthetics becomes so much more obvious when they show footage of FURY ROAD in the end credits, it's like night and day. And makes you miss the last entry a lot more.

Narrative - 55/100 | The script didn't once answer the one golden question in action movies that differentiates the cream of the crop from, well, the rest of the crop, and that is: Why should I care? Since Furiosa is barely at the center of the plot, and since the plot is already paper-thin as it is, we don't really feel any real connection to whatever is happening on screen, or with any of the characters. Biggest flaw of the movie if you ask me.

Fight Choreography - 66/100 | Barely any fights, don't watch a Mad Max movie for the fights.

Enjoyment - 63/100 | I'm sorry to say, but Anya Taylor-Joy was miscast. There is an untranslatable word in French, "prestance" (roughly means "presence" but not quite), well she has none of the "prestance" of Charlize Theron, is way too skinny to be intimidating or believable as an action badass, and her character doesn't really do all that much. Actually, the child actress knocked it out of the park and the time jump didn't do the movie any favors because of that.

To be fair, she isn't the only one who was miscast. I feel like Chris Hemsworth played a parody version of himself instead of a proper villain. I could never take him seriously. It was a pretty poor, exaggerated performance from him so that was another problem I had with the movie.

All in all, a bit disappointing after the masterpiece that is Mad Max: Fury Road (2015). Still, I have lots of respect for directors with a unique vision and way of doing things, and since this movie had that in droves, ultimately it's a thumbs up from me. But I would recommend it only to fans of the genre.

60/100

7 hours ago, Mad Max007 said:

Two different characters. The blonde at the beginning and the biker woman who joins Dementus after defeating the others in Thunderdome style fight.

That's so silly. I thought they captured her and forced her to fight another woman to the death. We all thought that...which is why we were confused as to why she tried to chase Furiosa.

Once again, proof that a lot of hte time it is about how much  you can overlook the flaws in a film.

The Hard Line fans of the Mad Max films are going to shrug off the flaws, in aontother thread you have many saying this is a masterpiece..but those hwo are no so commited to the Mad Max Universe are going to have a harder time overlooking flaws.

One thing is sure, the box office perfromance is prettymuch putting in question how much of a future this franchise has.

It has one very loyal cult, but not a large enough one for thme to justify the budgets these films have been getting. Any films in the future will  be done ons a much more modest budget.

7 hours ago, Noctis said:

That's so silly. I thought they captured her and forced her to fight another woman to the death. We all thought that...which is why we were confused as to why she tried to chase Furiosa.

Well the same actor playing two characters is a trope in Mad Max films lol.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

Since Furiosa is barely at the center of the plot, and since the plot is already paper-thin as it is, we don't really feel any real connection to whatever is happening on screen, or with any of the characters. Biggest flaw of the movie if you ask me.

But Furiosa is definitely the center of the plot??? How she makes her way through these events much bigger than her and the lack of control over her life is pretty pivotal. I’d even say she is much more central than Max is any of the Mad Max movies except for the first one.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 3

She's definitely there but I didn't feel any connection to her story. She mostly just happens to be there more than anything, except at the end.

In Fury Road it might technically be about the same but I didn't feel it was the same. Max wanted to survive and so everything hinges on that, our connection to the the events happening on screen is a primal "will he make it?" question throughout, and when he decides to help Furiosa it's also a character moment/choice because it doesn't help him survive, and we embark with him on that quest because we feel that Furiosa's quest is worth doing.

In this one, it started this way (Furiosa wanted to survive and go home) but then Furiosa's motives become a lot unclear/muddled toward the middle, it's harder to root for her because of that. She wants revenge but it didn't feel as though I was invested at all. Hard to explain but basically, even though Furiosa was present throughout, I felt like it wasn't really revolving around her most of the time. 

Posted (edited)

Aside from maybe Max in the original Mad Max, I haven't connected to any character in any Mad Max film yet. Just love the visual storytelling.

Babe 2 is still BY FAR Miller's best and one of the best films of the past 35 years. I connect with Flealick.

The way some are talking here is how I felt about Fury Road. Max didn't need to be there... Probably a better film if wasn't in it at all actually. Furiosa paper thin, brides forgettable and even more thin, themes compelling but unrealized, action and filmmaking is a blast though.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

Seem like it was more CGI heavy than the previous one and in general not as slick looking. Soundtrack felt less punchy.

at the start, here we go, every shot, every line, every characther decision-action, every exposition (the value of gas and ressource by how people risk live to salvage it, the harshness of the world by how fast they leave people behind).

But then the story, the world lore-religion are fun, and aesthetic, but nothing make much sense and like horror movies should be left unexplained and only in surface.

I am not sure if Heimsworth work that well here and with so many people either recast (or casting someone that looked exactly like them) you could have easily re-used Theron here, specially with the ending that start at Fury road, there is not a big cap of time and you have when she was a girl actress for when you need that cap anyway.

Still a Miller movie and quite incredible it got made.