kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [05.24 - 05.27, 2024] | 4-day actuals | 32.3M FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA | 31.3M THE GARFIELD MOVIE | 22.3M IF | 17.6M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, YM! said:

There’s also a weird seperate between CBM Twitter, Film Twitter or some other franchise Twitter when they are all literally Film Twitter. And even then Film Twitter and all various components aren’t indicative of the GA. The morning on Reddit, one dude was rooting for Furiosa to fail to spite Film Twitter.

I need to ask this: What is Film Twitter?

I've read the term in this forum many times, but I'm not exactly sure what is.

Edited by Kon

Posted (edited)

Apes is the only in may that has panned out.

IF and fall Guy openings were good for what they were but budgets dragged them down.  Both ain't getting to 200m.

Strangers chapter 1 is a success

Garfield maynot do as we expected but 275-400m .it will be  profitable due to low budget.

Furiosa has strong WOM but its too late

June preview.

Bad boys 4 . Just like Apes expect this to perform pretty much as expeçted

150M+/lows to mid 300s.

IO2 - presales aren't as robust which leaves room for caution buts it's animation and very popular one and walk-ups can be huge . So still a  wild card.  750-1B

Quiet place day 1. Perform in line with part 2 . 160M+ Dom

Horizon part 1. Cannes reviews were not great . So don't know 50-100m Dom.

Watchers - 50-60M+ Dom.

Edited by Liiviig 1998

5 minutes ago, Alexander said:

Furiosa, Fall Guy... Most of these are clearly 'good' but there never was any chance these would connect with general audience. But kbviously it's not money so...

People are gonna lump the May F name disappointment films together but I honestly think Fall Guy WAS a perfect example of a movie with no risk, artistry, or creativity that genuinely was just expensive for seemingly no good reason - kinda like the Grey Man or Ghosted on streamers. Total opposite of Furiosa in that regard. That said, I'm still glad they spent the money and released it in theaters, better to have that investment than not have it.

• Like 1

May is just a mess. Under, 600m.  It hard to not be a "doomer" with numbers this low.  Furiosa was a movie a lot people were penciling in for 100m domestic. 

Im not sure what theaters can do to get people to show up.  Apes, Fall Guy, Furiosa all have great reviews and are all very good movies IMO but the general audience does not care.   

• Like 8

Just now, JimmyB said:

Furiosa was a movie a lot people were penciling in for 100m domestic. 

Yeah with Fall Guy and Garfield also falling flat on their faces (both of which were considered likely 100M DOM movies) are we even reaching 20 movies crossing that mark?

• Like 1

Just now, ringedmortality said:

Yeah with Fall Guy and Garfield also falling flat on their faces (both of which were considered likely 100M DOM movies) are we even reaching 20 movies crossing that mark?

Think we probably still do but it will probably be close. Bad Boys, Inside Out, Quiet Place, Despicable, Twisters, Deadpool, Beetlejuice, Joker, Venom, Moana, Gladiator, Sonic, and Mufasa are all probably close to locks. That gets it to 17, 18 if IF or Garfield manage to sneak by. So we only need two movies to do it, and between Wicked, Wild Robot, Transformers, and a few others from August on (look out for It Ends With Us), I think it just barely sneaks by. Locked to finish below the 26 of last year, though.

29 minutes ago, Eric Furiosa said:

No offense to @charlie Jatinder, but I think you need to figure out your projections or just keep it to yourself, because this is like the third time or so that you overpredicted a movie's previews on social media, and that's really not helpful to anybody.

I also think we need to stop opening up threads when Charlie posts his numbers on Twitter. It's just making things way worse and way more miserable for all parties.

In fairness to Charlie he has stated many times on the thread that it’s possible for high ATP being a culprit, so did Keyser. Sometimes you get an overprediction or two but it happens. That’s like saying we can’t have early DHD estimates.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kon said:

I need to ask this: What is Film Twitter?

I've read the term in this forum many times, but I'm not exactly sure what is.

An echo chamber of people who love movies or report on movies or review movies. Obviously they're going to hype up these types of films, but they're not the general audience 

6 minutes ago, Alexander said:

Furiosa, Fall Guy... Most of these are clearly 'good' but there never was any chance these would connect with general audience. But kbviously it's not money so...

lol I love that a movie based off 350M+ grossing critical and commercial darling is apparently too risky and unappealing to general audiences.

Are you doing a bit? Are you trying to troll? Because that’s what it’s looking like. And I’m not very fond of it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Eric Furiosa said:

No offense to @charlie Jatinder, but I think you need to figure out your projections or just keep it to yourself, because this is like the third time or so that you overpredicted a movie's previews on social media, and that's really not helpful to anybody.

I also think we need to stop opening up threads when Charlie posts his numbers on Twitter. It's just making things way worse and way more miserable for all parties.

Not his fault anywhere.

You don't blame the messengers for audience not showing up. 

Estimates are estimates for a reason.

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Alexander said:

Furiosa is this year's Flash for WB. Genuinely believe Twitter and 'Film Twitter' is one of the worst things that happened to studios' decision-making in last 10-12 years.

So you rather not get a great movie to watch because it would always be a commercial failure due to “film twitter” over praise? Some of these corporate taglines every time a movie underperform sounds really silly said by regular people.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 8

30 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

a meh reviewed movie like GB:FE and Gxk still managed to open big but on the other hand plenty of great received movie turns out not resonating with the crowd. 

Critic audience divide isn't new.

Thing is Monsterverse is a popular franchise and Ghostbusters also had some fumes left.

5 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

An echo chamber of people who love movies or report on movies or review movies. Obviously they're going to hype up these types of films, but they're not the general audience 

Thing is Film Twitter is so large and similar behavior in various sub categories. CBM Twitter is literally Film Twitter as well.

13 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

Jesus Christ

Does Furiosa even hit 40m+ 4 day OW?

Don't think so. More like high $30M.

At the end of the day, I think WB did the best they could with it. Marketing was literally everywhere these past few weeks. But there probably is only so much one can do if the interest levels were contained.

• Sad 1

“General audiences numbered 58%, parents 19% and kids under 12 were 23%. General audience gave the animated pic 3 1/2 stars while parents and kids awarded it 4 1/2 stars. Overall, women outnumber men for Garfield at 55% to 45%.”

Surprised at the larger adult skew but we’ve been noticing that most family film movies in general have a sizeable GA skew but granted it’s just Thursday.