kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [05.24 - 05.27, 2024] | 4-day actuals | 32.3M FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA | 31.3M THE GARFIELD MOVIE | 22.3M IF | 17.6M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Flopped said:

Can someone explain why that Empire City account on Twitter blows a gasket anytime anyone even remotely says anything about theatrical being in danger? It's not a normal disagreement, it's like FUCK OFF YOU FUCKING MORON YOU'RE A STUPID FUCK!!!! 

What's his skin in the game and why does he care that much? 

From what I can see he’s (quite rightly) considered a joke on the box office Reddit.

doesn’t stop them talking about his forecasts mind you…

Edited by Hatebox

2 hours ago, wildphantom said:

I’m conflicted. 

on the one hand total despair that a prequel to one of the best blockbusters of all time is opening this poorly - like what are people even doing? 

on the other, sort of realising that despite my own love for it, general audiences hardly revere Mad Max and even Fury Road as much as we think they do. They didn’t spend record money on that movie, and those that did and loved it weren’t necessarily craving a prequel without Max in it. 

At this point people know what’s coming this summer and have picked out what they’re going to show up for in big numbers. Those films are still coming, it’s just unusual we haven’t really had even one yet going into June. 

Inside Out, DM4, Deadpool - come and save us!!

Twisters - break out and shock everybody. 

Bad Boys - do your thing. 

Disney and yellow minions to bring the big numbers. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Important to remember that if not for strikes, Deadpool 3 would open May. Apes was also in Memorial weekend before. Furiosa should have moved to last week, like Fury Road. Wouldn't have to put to such ridiculous expectations as it is. To just Imagine the completely different narrative if schedules had not changed 😂😂

And I agree. I ain't losing a piss of a night of sleep because of Furiosa or IF or The Fall Guy like some posters. In the end, I win. I get more sleep, I'm not pretending to be depressed and drowning in whiskey. 

Keep them bombs and upcoming hits coming.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eric Furiosa said:

That CinemaScore for Garfield has me legit curious on what could be in it that would isolate family audiences. Doesn’t seem to have anything objectionable in it.

I imagine it must be like a generic 2000s animation during the CG craze in that it’s not funny and kinda boring.

I’m shocked Garfield has worse reviews and audience reception than Chicken Little lol.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Speedorito said:

Maybe some levity for this thread. I just posted this in the Classic Conversation thread, but what do people think of this list?

Alphabetical order: Austin Butler, Timothée Chalamet, Jacob Elordi, Paul Mescal, Jenna Ortega, Glen Powell, Florence Pugh, Sydney Sweeney, Anya Taylor-Joy, Zendaya

I think Timothee Chalamet and Zendaya shouldn’t be here, they’re definitely not “new.” They’ve consistently had critical and commercial success since around 2017.

35 year old Glen Powell being a new “young” star is…a choice (I doubt a woman would even be considered for this list if her age didn’t begin with number less than 3).

Paul Mescal feels like he’s in the same category as Saoirse Ronan: indie darling but with no commercial success to back them. Putting him here before Gladiator II seems presumptuous. Ronan also tried the commercial route.

I like Jenna Ortega but putting her on here seems early. Wednesday was huge though and I think she has potential.

Jacob Elordi, a supporting actor in Saltburn, is on the list, but not Barry Keoghan, the lead?

Tom Holland needs better projects

Fun stats: 2 MCU actors, 5 Dune actors, 3 Euphoria actors.

The death of celebrity gossip culture has really done a number on the"stars' of today. My daughter didn't know most of these people by name. There used to be a time when the TV news would have a celebrity gossip section - they would call it 'Showbiz'.

Edited by AJG
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Has Hemsworth had a single non MCU hit? 

Thought about it for a couple minutes and I think it’s just the 2009 Star Trek movie.

I like Hemsy a lot, but he really got so lucky career-wise. He’s gonna play Thor until he is in his 80s

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

A bad weekend for the leading man Chris race.

Evans breathing a sigh of relief he doesn't have a movie out this summer (though he is in that ill-fated-sounding The Rock Christmas movie later this year so...).

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Evans breathing a sigh of relief he doesn't have a movie out this summer (though he is in that ill-fated-sounding The Rock Christmas movie later this year so...).

And lets not forget Chris Pine bombing both with D&D and Poolman.

Chris leading man are a dying bread.

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

Were they ever really thriving tho?

36 minutes ago, Eric Furiosa said:

Thought about it for a couple minutes and I think it’s just the 2009 Star Trek movie.

I like Hemsy a lot, but he really got so lucky career-wise. He’s gonna play Thor until he is in his 80s

Speaking of, after this weekend, I bet Paramount will be immensely relieved that their original Star Trek 4 never happened. Had they actually gone through with that, I have a feeling they'd already be sold off by now.

13 hours ago, Speedorito said:

Maybe some levity for this thread. I just posted this in the Classic Conversation thread, but what do people think of this list?

Alphabetical order: Austin Butler, Timothée Chalamet, Jacob Elordi, Paul Mescal, Jenna Ortega, Glen Powell, Florence Pugh, Sydney Sweeney, Anya Taylor-Joy, Zendaya

I think Timothee Chalamet and Zendaya shouldn’t be here, they’re definitely not “new.” They’ve consistently had critical and commercial success since around 2017.

35 year old Glen Powell being a new “young” star is…a choice (I doubt a woman would even be considered for this list if her age didn’t begin with number less than 3).

Paul Mescal feels like he’s in the same category as Saoirse Ronan: indie darling but with no commercial success to back them. Putting him here before Gladiator II seems presumptuous. Ronan also tried the commercial route.

I like Jenna Ortega but putting her on here seems early. Wednesday was huge though and I think she has potential.

Jacob Elordi, a supporting actor in Saltburn, is on the list, but not Barry Keoghan, the lead?

Tom Holland needs better projects

Fun stats: 2 MCU actors, 5 Dune actors, 3 Euphoria actors.

Timothee is the most proven one for sure, everyone else is under big question mark. I kinda root for Powell because he's likable and has movie star charisma, he just needs right projects. Austin Butler is great too.

• Like 1

After these past underperformers and reading this forum, Challengers box office run now makes more sense especially for an original film. I’m glad it didn’t outright bomb. This weekend box office is depressing.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Ryans aren't doing well this month either lol.

50 minutes ago, Eric Furiosa said:

Were they ever really thriving tho?

Ruthless but true.