kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [05.24 - 05.27, 2024] | 4-day actuals | 32.3M FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA | 31.3M THE GARFIELD MOVIE | 22.3M IF | 17.6M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

Posted (edited)

These weekend numbers are so low because people are preparing for the Fathom Events South Park movie sing-along coming up. There’s your surprise summer hit.

Edited by LonePirate
  • Astonished 1

5 hours ago, Speedorito said:

I like how the discourse went from “People are tired of sequels/reboots/remakes/franchises/CGI slop and want real films” to “Oh, I guess people just don’t like movies anymore” in such a sort amount of time.

Still can’t believe The Fall Guy is what initially shook people to their cores.

Oh I never believed people didn’t want the same NTC slop anymore. If anything, it just kept getting worse. I’d love to be in a world where people actually were demanding like people claimed they were, but the math doesn’t math sadly.

• Like 3

Good movies get rewarded with success like Dune 2.

All trailers made Furiosa look bad, but apparently it's good? This was a failure of marketing along with little interest from the public. Both was a death sentence.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

All trailers made Furiosa look bad, but apparently it's good? This was a failure of marketing along with little interest from the public. Both was a death sentence.

Quality films do not always get rewarded with box office success. Can we blame marketing for every flop?

• Like 8

Some in the media are bringing up "Solo" as a comparison.  I don't agree since "Furiosa" was R-rated it was a harder sell on a Family Holiday like Memorial Day.  With that said Solo did 105 Million Memorial Day Weekend.  Yes it's numbers were disappointing in comparison to "Star Wars" properties but it blows "Furiosa" performance out of the water.   Also the "Lightyear" comparison doesn't' hold either because "Toy Story 4" came out in 2019 and did over a Billion.   So it wasn't a Prequel to something that was a Decade old and "Lightyear" was PG.   (Also lightyear had a 50 Million 3-Day and 57 Million 4-day). 

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

I know its subjective what's a good and bad movie and I wish it was true that good movies got rewarded but so many good movies bomb. 

The marketing excuse used for every movie that bombs is weak. 

• Like 5

Movies succeed if they look attractive to  mass audience. Being very good is certainly one way to help with that but they’re only loosely correlated 

I thought the Twisters trailer played great in IMAX before Furiosa. But there were some laughs after it and I heard someone say “it’ll be shit just like the first one”.

No taste! 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, filmscholar said:

Some in the media are bringing up "Solo" as a comparison.  I don't agree since "Furiosa" was R-rated it was a harder sell on a Family Holiday like Memorial Day.  With that said Solo did 105 Million Memorial Day Weekend.  Yes it's numbers were disappointing in comparison to "Star Wars" properties but it blows "Furiosa" performance out of the water.   Also the "Lightyear" comparison doesn't' hold either because "Toy Story 4" came out in 2019 and did over a Billion.   So it wasn't a Prequel to something that was a Decade old and "Lightyear" was PG.   (Also lightyear had a 50 Million 3-Day and 57 Million 4-day). 

how about The Huntsman: Winter's War comparison? It lost Snow white Stewart and then bombed

Edited by cinema pal

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet but Furiosa's demo breakdown was 72% male (despite having a female lead and a one time Sexiest Man Alive front and center of its aggressive marketing campaign). If that doesn't make it obvious that there was total apathy towards the movie from the public outside of its core target audience I don't know what does.

• Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet but Furiosa's demo breakdown was 72% male 

I didn't watch the movie but I know it smelt crazy in there.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet but Furiosa's demo breakdown was 72% male (despite having a female lead and a one time Sexiest Man Alive front and center of its aggressive marketing campaign). If that doesn't make it obvious that there was total apathy towards the movie from the public outside of its core target audience I don't know what does.

Well, action movies (even with female leads) have always been more attractive for a male audience.

Honestly, I don't feel the story in Furiosa has something really attractive for female audience. I don't even think Chris Hermsworth as a villain look really attractive for women.

PS: In fact, Fury Road has a 70% male audience.

Edited by Kon

Just got back from Hit Man. Literally the only mistake they made was selling this to Netflix.  It’s so good. So mainstream.  Everybody will be talking about it in a couple of weeks. 

anyways, at least it’ll only add to the build up to Twisters for Powell. 

Adria Arjona?  Oh man….

nervous charlie sheen GIF

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

There was just one woman in my screening lol.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, cinema pal said:

how about The Huntsman: Winter's War comparison? It lost Snow white Stewart and then bombed

LOL, Ironically Chris was in that too. They were hoping Charlize and Chris would be enough to bring people back but at the end of the day, it's a Snow White story.  Look everyone trying to find the "Exact" reason "Furiosa" didn't connect so they are pulling out other properties that had Sequels or Prequels where you don't bring back the "Main" Star.   "Solo" and "Lightyear" seem to be the two main ones I was seeing.    But  "Huntsman" was a good mentioned. I just think that didn't work because you did a "Snow White" movie without "Snow White". 

I  mean the "Huntsmen" is a good character but not enough without Snow White in the picture.  But as people mentioned, "Kingdom/Apes" technically didn't bring back the previous cast and still managed to have some decent numbers.  We shall see if "Quiet Place", "Twisters" and "Gladiator II" can survive this interesting trend (Though Quiet Place is bringing back Djimin H and Gladitor has some returing supporting characters).  Look back in the day we called them "The Sequel Rules".   One of the major ones was bringing back characters people liked and be careful when replacing characters.    "Bad Boys" works because of Will & Martin together. You don't break up what has worked.   

Edited by filmscholar

6 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Dune is also is much bigger IP than anything Mad Max.

1 hour ago, Kon said:

PS: In fact, Fury Road has a 70% male audience.

I noticed this too (though to be fair, it did release the same weekend as Pitch Perfect 2 which unsurprisingly drew a mostly female audience, so may have made up the demo difference down the line).

Definitely reinforces that Mad Max might just be a niche IP though.