kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [05.24 - 05.27, 2024] | 4-day actuals | 32.3M FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA | 31.3M THE GARFIELD MOVIE | 22.3M IF | 17.6M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

2 minutes ago, YM! said:

Thing is Film Twitter is so large and similar behavior in various sub categories. CBM Twitter is literally Film Twitter as well.

Yeah I'm aware. But "large" is a relative word for twitter which is not large anymore

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Don't think so. More like high $30M.

At the end of the day, I think WB did the best they could with it. Marketing was literally everywhere these past few weeks. But there probably is only so much one can do if the interest levels were contained.

I think the trailers could have definitely stood to be more effective. They relied too much on the Fury Road connection and otherwise seemed to flail around in search of a hook, whereas I remember Fury Road's own trailers just instantly grabbed your attention even if you weren't familiar with the franchise at all. 

Not good numbers at all for Furiosa , hopefully PostTrack data are very good . Correct numbers for Garfield , PostTrack data are a little meh, hopefully data for families are good . I think A cinemascore for Furiosa , A- for Garfield. 35M 3 Days OW for Furiosa , 40M for 4 days , i expecting ( i'm more optimistic) . Between 25-30M 3 Days OW 30-35M 4 Days for Garfield . Maybe a little higher for this latter if it's have great jump on Saturday like IF last week.

Will say WB's summer is looking to be off to a rough start considering the only other titles they have out this season are the Horizon two-parter (already feels doomed with its reviews) and the two thrillers from the Shyamalan family. Though I imagine the latter two aren't that expensive (unless setting a whole movie at a lavish concert automatically drives the budget up).

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Will say WB's summer is looking to be off to a rough start considering the only other titles they have out this season are the Horizon two-parter (already feels doomed with its reviews) and the two thrillers from the Shyamalan family. Though I imagine the latter two aren't that expensive (unless setting a whole movie at a lavish concert automatically drives the budget up).

Feel like Horizon two-parter’s target audience likely won’t give a shit about reviews and could be too soon to write off.

• Like 1

Well i’m very sad, everyone knows how important the character Furiosa ended up being for women in a post me too world, and for the LGBT community usually deprived from the action space, so i was really rooting for this to succeed. 

There’s many reasons for this disappointment i’m sure, including clunky trailers and the prequel limitations of it all which includes recasting. But maybe above it all, the world is simply too polarized this days for an action movie like this.

Watching the movie later, really expecting to love it like i love Fury Road, and trying to be glad that at least it exists with creative freedom, kinda like BR2049. I’m hoping the good reception can maybe avoid a total disaster and Miller can try doing the sequel in other studio, maybe a hybrid one like Apple, since he have the rights. 

But that’s it, another depressing weekend for box office, happy Furiosa weekend for those who celebrate.

• Like 7

Ya'll will make all kinds of excuses except point out the obvious elephant in the room that many ppl brought up as soon as Furiosa was announced. It was a losing battle as soon as it wasn't Charlize. No offense to Anya Taylor-Joy, but honestly fuck ageism and sexism. This is basically the Solo spin-off without Harrison Ford that no one wanted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Dune and Gxk delivered for them atleast . Joker 2 coming . 

Right from barbie . WB has been on a roll. Sad to see it stop here.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Hopefully , Fall Slate is better with Beetlejuice 2 and Joker 2

Posted (edited)

Yeah that does bring me to the point.

Why did they really changed the actress, Charlize was good in the role and she was the one who became fan favorite.

Edited by THUNDER BIRD

4 minutes ago, YM! said:

Feel like Horizon two-parter’s target audience likely won’t give a shit about reviews and could be too soon to write off.

The target audience, like all target audiences, only want to see nostalgic toy commercials. Horizon ain’t that. It’s dead mate.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 5

4 minutes ago, YM! said:

I dunno, there's no real hook to it beyond "if you enjoy Yellowstone, come see this" except the audience for the former watches it for free at home vs. having to leave the house to pay a $10+ ticket price. The fact the studio is offloading the two parts literally weeks from each other (instead of spacing them out to build interest for Part 2) also seems like a tell all that they aren't expecting much from this either.

• Like 1

Honestly . Happy for Furiosa being a good movie . But don't understand why they didn't greenlight a proper mad max sequel with Charlize and hardy returning.

9 years would have given it a bit of nostalgia pull which I know isn't big for franchise like this. But still.. . And also riding off the popularity of Furiosa. This could have been 180M+/450-500M+ movie.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

No offense to Anya Taylor-Joy, but honestly fuck ageism and sexism.

I don't think ageism or sexism have anything to do with Charlize not returning. It's a coming of age prequel and de-aging is just not there yet.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

But don't understand why they didn't greenlight a proper mad max sequel with Charlize and hardy returning.

Probably because Charlize and Hardy couldn't stand each other, and Miller and Hardy couldn't stand each other as well. Plus I remember Miller considered a sort of sequel where Furiosa becomes an evil tyrant like Immortan Joe, so maybe it's a good thing it never happened, doesn't sound like something people would want to see.

4 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Honestly . Happy for Furiosa being a good movie . But don't understand why they didn't greenlight a proper mad max sequel with Charlize and hardy returning.

9 years would have given it a bit of nostalgia pull which I know isn't big for franchise like this. But still.. . And also riding off the popularity of Furiosa. This could have been 180M+/450-500M+ movie.

Because they probably would have killed each other

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Speedorito said:

Gladiator II will be the Furiosa of November, just with worse critical reception 😈

You say that because Russell Crowe is not returning? I agree, reviews will probably be worse, but Gladiator 1 was extremely popular, i think it can overcome Rusell's abscence