kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | May 31-Jun 02, 2024 | actuals | 14.01M GARFIELD | 10.78M FURIOSA | 10.51M IF | 8.97M APES

Thrilling box office weekend in the heart of the Summer with Garfield slaying with 13M in number 1. Outrageous. Upset for the ages. Theatrical business is booming.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 3

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Thrilling box office weekend in the heart of the Summer with Garfield slaying with 13M in number 1. Outrageous. Upset for the ages. Theatrical business is booming.

I mean it's not like this is a shock or we did not see it coming.  By the way you could probably find a even more up to date profile picture. I am sure he has that look a lot right now.

18 hours ago, Flopped said:

Useless fact but today I learned that until Jurassic Park, Ghost was the 3rd highest grossing movie of all time worldwide with $517.6M. 

wasnt pretty woman number 2?

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

wasnt pretty woman number 2?

No, but it was pretty high. $463 million WW.

Edited by cannastop

2 hours ago, VanillaSkies said:

A producer of Garfield posted on Twitter that it made 6 million opening day in China. That’s pretty damn good. 

Considering it’s doing well overseas and will end with a respectable domestic total, it’s a big winner. And that is mostly thanks to a reasonable budget of 60 million.

this is what Hollywood needs to make more of. Medium budget films that appeal to a worldwide audience. And make a lot of them and keep them off streaming for a while!

But it looks like its total wont even double up from OD!!! So not so good. Guess the producer did`ent tell the whole story….

2 hours ago, John Marston said:

huh?

Willy Wonka is based on a popular book. Was the basic of a classic film and a successful remake. Top Gun was a huge hit and classic especially among middle America. Mad Max is a niche series that appeals to a niche audience 

An insane thing to think from 2015-2021. 

2 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Not that this is why Furiosa didn't do great but I'd say Top Gun and Wonka are definitely bigger, more known properties than Mad Max.

Why, just because both have had 1 successful movie in the last 8 years?

4 hours ago, SaltyPistola said:

I’ll stand by I have no idea what the fuck the internet is smoking with twisters and especially Glenn Powell. I just don’t see a 200+ tornado blockbuster making a profit in the year 2024. Powell has some charisma yeah but not the acting chops nor the following to drive this forward in any significant way. I feel like people are setting themselves up for disappointment with this one. 

The entire concept feels extremely dated for 2024. Seems like something that could be a hit on streaming, but in no way do I see it being an $80M+ OW blockbuster film. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

Why, just because both have had 1 successful movie in the last 8 years?

How is that different than Mad Max? And both of those movies were SIGNIFICANTLY more successful, so it kind of proves their point.

20 minutes ago, KGPatt2 said:

How is that different than Mad Max? And both of those movies were SIGNIFICANTLY more successful, so it kind of proves their point.

Yeah not sure what the argument is here. There are have been two Wonka movies in the last 20 years and they both did over 200 million DOM and 400 WW and Maverick did 1.5 Billion WW. Fury Road did 380 WW and no other Mad Max has or will come close to that. That's just the facts.  

Posted (edited)

It's June @Eric Lasagna @WrathOfHan

12z:

Inside Out 2: Trolls Band Together, Wish Dolby, The Boy and the Heron Round 2, Wonka, Migration, Soul Round 2, The Color Purple, Turning Red Round 2, One Life, Luca Round 3, Kung Fu Panda 4 3D, Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes

11x:

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes: The Marvels Dolby, Thanksgiving, The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes, Godzilla Minus One, Poor Things, The Iron Claw, Napoleon, All of Us Strangers, I.S.S., Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire IMAX, Challengers

7x:

If: Wonka, Migration, Soul Round 2, Turning Red Round 2, One Life, Luca Round 3, Kung Fu Panda 4 3D

The Garfield Movie: Trolls Band Together, Wish Dolby, Migration, Soul Round 2, Turning Red Round 2, Luca Round 3, Kung Fu Panda 4 3D

A Quiet Place: Day One: Madame Web, Love Lies Bleeding, Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire IMAX, Challengers, Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes, I Saw the TV Glow

5x:

Despicable Me 4: Turning Red Round 2, Madame Web, Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire IMAX, Kung Fu Panda 4 3D, Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes

Twisters: Madame Web, Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire IMAX, Challengers, Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes, Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga UltraScreen DLX

4x:

White Bird: Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse Dolby, Elemental 3D, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse Round 3 Dolby

3x:

The Wild Robot: One Life, Luca Round 3, Kung Fu Panda 4 3D
Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga: Madame Web, Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire IMAX, Challengers
MaXXXine: Pearl, I Saw the TV Glow, Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga UltraScreen DLX

2x:

Fantastic Four: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man
Adhira: RRR, RRR Round 2
The Strangers Chapter 1: Challengers, Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes
Kinds of Kindness: Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes, I Saw the TV Glow
Beetlejuice Beetlejuice: Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire IMAX, Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga UltraScreen DLX
The Crow: Boy Kills World Round 0 Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga UltraScreen DLX

1x:

Elio: Elemental 3D
The Watchers: Drive-Away Dolls
Back to Black: Love Lies Bleeding
Ezra: One Life
Cuckoo: Late Night with the Devil
In a Violent Nature: Late Night with the Devil
Bad Boys: Ride or Die: Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire IMAX
Kill: Boy Kills World Round 0
Fly Me to the Moon: Challengers
The Blue Angels: Challengers
Blink Twice: Challengers
Mufasa: The Lion King: Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes
Daddio: I Saw the TV Glow
Didi: I Saw the TV Glow
National Anthem: I Saw the TV Glow
Speak No Evil: I Saw the TV Glow
Sing Sing: I Saw the TV Glow
Wicked: Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga UltraScreen DLX
Alien: Romulus: Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga UltraScreen DLX
Horizon: An American Saga: Chapter 1: Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga UltraScreen DLX
Horizon: An American Saga: Chapter 2: Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga UltraScreen DLX
Deadpool & Wolverine: Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga UltraScreen DLX

Edited by Blankments

7 hours ago, emoviefan said:

I mean it's not like this is a shock or we did not see it coming. 

I'll admit to not expecting Garfield to underwhelm like this. One, coz the family audience has been starved since KFP4 with IF being the only option that came out just a weekend prior. Secondly coz the IP is a merchandise juggernaut and its popularity had grown since the films from the 2000s. Lastly, I thought putting Pratt in a family friendly franchise was a foolproof formula.

I was very wrong with the last one especially and the theory that he just smartly aligned himself with multiple beloved IPs and isn't adding much to the BO draw by his own involvement is truer than I gave it credit for. But good for him signing onto so many lucrative IPs.

It's why Powell shouldn't be running his mouth regarding passing over Jurassic and not wanting to do MCU. Dude gets one successful romcom with an equally promising co-lead and he thinks the opportunities will always be limitless. When the only franchise he has signed up for is... Twisters. I guess Top Gun too but he's like the fourth or fifth lead there at best. I don't know what his career plan is. He's already slightly older than when Pratt broke out with Guardians and was already filming Jurassic World. 

7 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

It's why Powell shouldn't be running his mouth regarding passing over Jurassic and not wanting to do MCU. Dude gets one successful romcom with an equally promising co-lead and he thinks the opportunities will always be limitless. When the only franchise he has signed up for is... Twisters. I guess Top Gun too but he's like the fourth or fifth lead there at best. I don't know what his career plan is. He's already slightly older than when Pratt broke out with Guardians and was already filming Jurassic World. 

I think Powell just wants to do different stuff, if he signs up for Jurassic World he'd have to do sequels. Where as there very likely won't be sequels for Twisters or Top Gun.

sure is looking like my pro-furiosa shilling did not meaningfully move the needle