kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | May 31-Jun 02, 2024 | actuals | 14.01M GARFIELD | 10.78M FURIOSA | 10.51M IF | 8.97M APES

37 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

sure is looking like my pro-furiosa shilling did not meaningfully move the needle 

one last go

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

sure is looking like my pro-furiosa shilling did not meaningfully move the needle 

its basically a one quad movie , still sad drop cause almost zero new competition . still wb  could have tried to save it with fandango ticket deals like what they tried with the flash 

• Like 1

All this talk of Twisters and Powell has me feeling bad for the terrific Daisy Edgar-Jones, who is actually the main character in the movie (she's even billed first). :lol:

Powell has been doing the press rounds for it these past few weeks cause he's also promoting his own vehicle and it's probably easier to promote two movies at once to avoid burnout. Reasonable to assume DEJ is the one they plan to have doing most of the promo for it as we get closer to release.

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

All this talk of Twisters and Powell has me feeling bad for the terrific Daisy Edgar-Jones, who is actually the main character in the movie (she's even billed first). :lol:

Powell has been doing the press rounds for it these past few weeks cause he's also promoting his own vehicle and it's probably easier to promote two movies at once to avoid burnout. Reasonable to assume DEJ is the one they plan to have doing most of the promo for it as we get closer to release.

i'm under the impression they are co-leads , isn't this the same as Bryce Dallas Howard was lead for JW

2 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

I'll admit to not expecting Garfield to underwhelm like this. One, coz the family audience has been starved since KFP4 with IF being the only option that came out just a weekend prior. Secondly coz the IP is a merchandise juggernaut and its popularity had grown since the films from the 2000s

I was pretty high on Garfield too, but in hindsight, I'd argue it's the opposite. The last major Garfield thing to premiere is The Garfield Show on Cartoon Network, and that premiered in 2009, and last aired in 2016. That's a long time without any new major Garfield media to make kids familiar and aware of the character. The character is now owned by Nickelodeon, and I don't think they've made a new cartoon or done anything else with him since they bought the rights outside of a few cameos in some cheaply-made Nicktoon crossover games. At least before the Bay Turtles movies came out, there was a super popular Nickelodeon series airing on Saturday mornings. If anything, from what I can gather, Nick's marketing machine has been way more focused on advertising and hyping up IF over Garfield (understandable!)

The other cartoons and specials and movies might be on streaming, but it's hard to keep a franchise super relevant with modern generations when there's not a lot of prominence in the current pop culture landscape or a shiny new thing kids can claim as their own. Plus in 2004, even though Garfield and Friends was similarly off the air (though IIRC it was still airing reruns on Nick or Cartoon Network until 2001 or something), you could still rely on the character being relevant because you could still read the newest comic strip in your local newspaper. That idea is so foreign to today's kids that I don't even know if newspapers still put comics in their paper anymore. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, filmlover said:

SUMMER CAMP (2024)C

When you're a lame-looking comedy that wastes the talent of legends dumped in theaters and can't even satisfy the few who paid to see it.

The marketing for this film was atrocious - almost as bad as the name of the film itself. I didn’t even know this film existed until I saw the trailer for it a week ago when it played before Babes. 

As for that title, I couldn’t imagine how disappointed or upset those poor moviegoers were who bought tickets to the film based on the title alone. If you walk in blind to see a movie named Summer Camp, there is no way you would guess it would be anything like this. A family film with some kids? Maybe. A slasher film like Friday the 13th? Possibly. A rom com for the geriatric crowd? No way in hell.

Not only that but it should have opened during Mother’s Day weekend. Evidently the schedulers were as incompetent as the marketers were.

14 hours ago, emoviefan said:

Off topic a little. But we should be getting the  first Gladiator 2 trailer soon. Maybe this week in front of BB ROD but more likely Paramount will save it for their own movie QP Day One at the end of the month. . It blew the roof of at Cinema Con . At the very least Sir Ridley knocks the visuals out of the park still.

He didn't knock Napoleon visuals out of the park though.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, filmlover said:

SUMMER CAMP (2024)C

When you're a lame-looking comedy that wastes the talent of legends dumped in theaters and can't even satisfy the few who paid to see it.

All of these older actress ensemble comedies feel like they are written by the same people. 

Garfield was basically an 80s/90s kid thing rather than an 2010s kid thing. That's what happened.

Didn't help that the actual good writing usually came from the specials/Garfield and Friends rather than the actual strip. Strip Garfield wasn't exactly Peanuts in terms of having a profound impact. Specials Garfield KICKED ASS. He dreamed about being Bogart, went to Hawaii and saved people from an erupting volcano and FOUGHT A FUCKING PANTHER. Absolutely none of that happens in the new film.

• Astonished 1

27 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

I’m seeing so much copium from box office fans, but when even directors are saying this about their own success you know it’s bad. 

Its so bad it feels like the needle for 'success' is moving down to just breaking even in theatrical. I don't think pre-covid we'd consider a success to be not losing money in the theatrical window to make it in secondary sales and rental.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Juliet said:

Its so bad it feels like the needle for 'success' is moving down to just breaking even in theatrical. I don't think pre-covid we'd consider a success to be not losing money in the theatrical window to make it in secondary sales and rental.

Yep, the bar has been lowered quite a bit, and a few exceptions are held up as proof of box office health when the overall trends are dire. 

Twisters 200M? Nah. No way. Even if Way, that has to be before tax credits.

If true tho, that's definitely something I won't feel sad about then. And makes me feel good about my prospects of one day being a producer or studio head. Gotta keep grinding.

Hollywood’s new stars are too hot. Glen Powell and Sydney Sweeney have too much sex appeal to be relatable. Audiences like attractive actors, but I think someone like Lady Gaga benefits from not feeling like an OnlyFans star and being approachable. 

• Knock It Off 4

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Hollywood’s new stars are too hot. Glen Powell and Sydney Sweeney have too much sex appeal to be relatable. Audiences like attractive actors, but I think someone like Lady Gaga benefits from not feeling like an OnlyFans star and being approachable. 

I'm not sure this is really true. Actors with strong sex appeal seems to attract a lot of attention from people.

Also, it isn't so difficult to make a hot star look "Hollywood Homely" enough to be relatable.

Edited by Kon

6 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

i'm under the impression they are co-leads , isn't this the same as Bryce Dallas Howard was lead for JW

Anthony Ramos is billed and featured alongside them on all the marketing materials so it's a three lead movie from that perspective. Though obviously the tornados, not the actors, are the actual star attractions here.

6 hours ago, filmlover said:

I know that test screening audiences found her "boring" in the lead and the overall feeling was Powell stole the film blind - in a way not since Depp in Pirates.

7 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

You convinced me to download the 4K HDR version when available. I was gonna get a 1080p copy and watch it on my iPad.

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

7 minutes ago, Kon said:

I'm not sure this is really true. Actors with strong sex appeal seems to attract a lot of attention from people.

Also, it isn't so difficult to make a hot star look "Hollywood Homely" enough to be relatable.

Of course they attract attention, but is that attention translating into a career as a box office draw?