kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [June 07-09, 2024] | actuals | 56.5M BAD BOYS: RIDE OR DIE | 10.0M GARFIELD | 7.8M IF | 7.0M THE WATCHERS

Posted (edited)

Mad max fury road has no story. Why people should care about prequels- spin off etc.. about movies with no stories?.

I'm not saying as something negative, just it's the kinda of cinema it is.

The first movie already did 380M in 2015. You know that year 4 movies made 1.5B+ dollars. To say the difference between the 2015 market and the 2019 market. Mad max wasn't even in the top 20 of the year!

They should have made at least a sequel with the same actors before of a prequel. Making a prequel before trying a sequel was a very big mistake. I mean it's pretty predictable a prequel makes less money than the actual saga. Add to this factor the situation of the market and well....

The only thing icould have made sense it's some kinda of very low budget collateral spin off -prequel to test the appeal of the saga 10 years after, not a 200M budgeted movie. 

Thinking the saga in last 10 years became so cult a prequel could have made even more money than the first movie means to live in an alternate world.

You must think Warner learned its lesson from BD 2049 fiasco with Harrison Ford returning and just after SW mega boom. But they didn't apparently. 

I hope for them Matrix 5 it's some kinda of different movie with like a 75M budget 😅

Edited by vale9001
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

I'm not sure why a VOD date needs to be set in stone when the movie is still in theaters. Surely it is something that ought to be flexible based on the movie's theatrical performance.

They’re not set in stone.

Studios have the right to release movies after a certain set of days 17, 30, or 45. Studios can delay these releases depending on how a film is performing. Disney movies are pretty much random at this point. WB have brought PVOD’s forward. Universal and Sony have delayed movies a couple of times.

Frankly I will be SHOCKED if Furiosa isn’t released on PVOD before its scheduled July 24th date. It could drop anytime after Monday imo.

1 hour ago, filmscholar said:

Well 'If" just keep chugging along.   "Apes" is finally slowing down.  "Garfield' is like the little engine that could.  It's really filling a void for some families before "Inside Out 2" and "DM4".  "Furiosa" will not make it to 100 domestic. 

Just a shame the rest of the world isn't turning out for IF, it seems. 

16 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

People just don't care, do they?

“It’s a prequel about the one-armed lady from that car chase movie you saw on TV” is up there with “Hey kids, Bill Murray is BACK playing a Ghostbuster again” as being two of the oddest propositions for a film this year.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

9 minutes ago, AJG said:

“It’s a prequel about the one-armed lady from that car chase movie you saw on TV” is up there with “Hey kids, Bill Murray is BACK playing a Ghostbuster again” as being two of the oddest propositions for a film this year.

Bill Murray would've been a big deal if Ghostbusters reboot and Afterlife never happened, and if Murray wasn't this old.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Beverly Hills Cop 4 should have been released in theaters also I am surprised there has been no movement on Rush Hour 4

I think so too. Not sure why they don’t think Eddie Murphy isn’t bankable anymore especially with his most popular franchises. I know the third one did the worst but that was 30 years ago and most people only remember the first Beverly Hills Cop anyways. 

Edited by babz06

2 minutes ago, babz06 said:

I think so too. Not sure why they don’t think Eddie Murphy isn’t bankable anymore especially with his most popular franchises. 

I think it was more Netflix put up the mega money that nobody else would. I’m sure the budget is pretty huge on it. 

Just wish Netflix would agree an exclusive theatrical wide release for their major films with the big exhibitors. Win win for everybody, and especially audiences and the filmmakers.  Needn’t be more than a few weeks, like they trialled with Glass Onion (that made serious bank before they pulled it). 

Seems they’re still refusing to join the party, like they hate money or something. 

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

I think it was more Netflix put up the mega money that nobody else would. I’m sure the budget is pretty huge on it. 

Just wish Netflix would agree an exclusive theatrical wide release for their major films with the big exhibitors. Win win for everybody, and especially audiences and the filmmakers.  Needn’t be more than a few weeks, like they trialled with Glass Onion (that made serious bank before they pulled it). 

Seems they’re still refusing to join the party, like they hate money or something. 

Accusing Netflix of hating money is pretty funny ngl

34 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Beverly Hills Cop 4 should have been released in theaters also I am surprised there has been no movement on Rush Hour 4

Jackie Chan no longer has the box office pull in Asia that he once did. His last few movies have all been big money losers. He's also old and can understandably no longer do the stunts he was known for. Chris Tucker is pretty much a part time actor anyway and Brett Ratner is now known to be a creep who is just one step below Weinstein.

As much as I love the Rush Hour trilogy, I think most fans are good leaving it behind and restricted to those 3 movies. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Accusing Netflix of hating money is pretty funny ngl

seems like it when they could make a chunk of their budget back on Cop 4 but refuse to

A Rush Hour 4 would flop for sure.

Speaking of reviving dead comedy franchises, I'm intrigued to see how the Scary Movie revival goes, especially if they can manage to bring both Faris and Hall back. Luckily for it, there's been a slew of famous horror movies over the past decade that easily lend themselves to parody for them to tackle, something that wasn't the case when the flop previous movie from 2013 arrived.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Speaking of reviving dead comedy franchises, I'm intrigued to see how the Scary Movie revival goes, especially if they can manage to bring both Faris and Hall back. Luckily for it, there's been a slew of famous horror movies over the past decade that easily lend themselves to parody for them to tackle, something that wasn't the case when the flop previous movie from 2013 arrived.

Fans want the wayans bros back again otherwise it probably wouldn’t do good. 

Edited by babz06

7 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

seems like it when they could make a chunk of their budget back on Cop 4 but refuse to

They're making money, even if it doesn't show up as box office receipts

Much as I hate to admit it whatever they're doing is working for them

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I actually think Rush Hour 4 would do fine. 250+ WW based on nostalgia