Eric the Marxist

INSIDE OUT 2 WEEKEND THREAD | 155M DOM, 140M OS | Summer is back, Disney saves the day! | 😂😢😡🤢😱😰😒🥱😳

Just now, Potiki said:

Deadpool/Wolverine as well. 

For some reason that did not even cross my mind. Deadpool & Wolverine and Godzilla x Kong themselves are creating a whole new pattern wow

30 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

I like these numbers as well. KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES can finish with 170M.

In second, Sony’s Bad Boys: Ride or Die is keeping up against the whale that is Inside Out 2, down only -50% in weekend 2 with $28M and a $7.5M Friday and a $107.2M running total by Sunday at 3,885 sites.

20th Century Studios/Disney’s Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes refuses to leave the top five of the chart in its 6th weekend with $4.45M at 2,600 locations, -18%,, and a running cume of $157M.

Apes just keeps chugging along, at least domestically.

So all the sequels this year just got a higher ceiling. It's obvious people want sequels and the familiarity they bring. DM4, Deadpool , Moana 2, and Sonic 3 should do really well.

Meanwhile stuff like Fall Guys flops. No matter how many people always whine about not having enough original films, they almost always never show up to support them.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 3

Interesting from a recent CNBC article, that The-Numbers has been tracking average length to PVOD and SVOD, I know there has been a lot of talk about individual films having short windows but it is interesting to see a larger picture with more datapoints:

"Studios had been pushing to slim down the window prior to the pandemic in order to cut down on marketing expenses, explained Daniel Loria, senior vice president of content strategy and editorial director at the Box Office Company.

Studios were paying a significant amount to market films for their theatrical release and then months later had to drum up buzz again for a film’s transition to the home market. With shorter windows, studios don’t need to spend as much to refamiliarize audiences with a film as it’s likely still fresh in their minds from its debut.

“My impression of films going to [premium video on-demand] early is usually a decision to not double dip on the marketing spend,” Loria said.

Last year, the average run of a widely released film was 39 days, according to The Numbers. So far in 2024, the average run is 29 days. Of course, as bigger blockbuster titles roll out in the summer months, that figure is expected to grow.

Screen-Shot-2024-06-15-at-1-22-58-PM.png

There are cases where studios have extended their runs well beyond the typical theatrical window. In 2022, for example, Paramount and Skydance’s “Top Gun: Maverick” played for more than 200 days in cinemas before heading to the home market.

And, these figures only refer to when a film becomes available in the home market for rent. Typically, the wait before films are available as part of subscription streaming services, often considered “free” by those subscribers, is much longer.

The Numbers reported the average time span between theatrical release and streaming subscription launch was 108 days in 2023."

source: https://www.cnbc.com/2024/06/14/inside-out-2-opening-theatrical-window.html

Edited by Potiki
  • Like 2

IO2 looking at 150m+, definitely a pleasant surprise.

If it gets around that it'll basically outgross every Pixar film domestically since Toy Story 4 just by OW alone. 

3 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Apes has had quite good legs, shame that OS hasn’t been as good.

Apes is basically the last May film still standing. Very good legs. Probably wouldn't be doing as well if Deadpool had stayed in May.

Inside Out 2 is doing great even for the late night shows near me. Definitely confident we've found the top two movies of 2024 between this and Deadpool & Wolverine, just a question of which is bigger to claim first place for the year.

Just now, dallas said:

This may be a hot take around here... but I think Mufasa goes sub-$200M. Movie looks soulless and bland af. 

Take away the beloved story of the original Lion King and the iconic songs? You are left with a lifeless husk called Mufasa.

What a f'ing weekend, IO2 with a oldschool crazy only increasing opening and this with an amazing hold from badboys 4.I mean we got it all this weekend :ohmygod:

• Like 1

Kinda crazy that even with a $200M opening D&W wouldn't be locked for the top of 2024 domestic box office if this does over $150M OW. I'd asume it will be frontloaded because of the crossover aspect. 

• Like 1

I actually don't think this summer has been as bleak as many claim it is. Furiosa is pretty much the only movie that's missed hopes/expectations to an embarrassing degree. Even the performances for IF and Garfield could've been worse given their lackluster reviews.

Still, yes, definitely shaping up to be a much needed HUGE weekend overall.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1