Eric is Anxious

INSIDE OUT 2 WEEKEND THREAD | 155M DOM, 140M OS | Summer is back, Disney saves the day! | πŸ˜‚πŸ˜’πŸ˜‘πŸ€’πŸ˜±πŸ˜°πŸ˜’πŸ₯±πŸ˜³

18 minutes ago, Eric S'ennui said:

I mean I'm here thinking 50M+ would be impressive for Mufasa. Will certainly be an interesting weekend in terms of folks' expectations. :lol:Β 

When Mufasa outgrosses sonic 3, no-one will be shocked outside the residents of BOT

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Relevation said:

3rd??? I think a $50M OD could send it to $165-170M optimistically but $193M+ would be completely busted beyond belief

Whoops I miscounted from the i2 inset being so small 🀣 

Β 

4th or 5thΒ 

• Like 1

Gonna be really hilarious when we get to Moana 2 and Disney is already basically guaranteed as the top grossing studio in the domestic market with just 3 movies for the year.Β 

Β 

to the comment above how do you figure? EC is saying 50 true friday for 63mil combined.

Edited by Ledmonkey96

51 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

IO2 is first one to come out before release and say this wont come on D+ till 100 days at least.

Unless you're incredibly online, that is not common knowledge. The only people who are aware of that are people who are already going to see films in theaters. I guarantee general audiences have no clue Pixar announced this.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

If originals continue to make Elemental numbers and the sequels continue to be hits (ok maybe not as big as this one will be) then Pixar should be fine. WDAS is in more trouble I think despite getting theatrical preference over Pixar.

Frankly speaking elemental numbers aren’t really fine for originals. The legs saved some face there but 14M tickets is not where it’s at the way Pixar budgets these things. Need to be getting more like 200-350 from originals in order to then lean on their sequels to be big hits, otherwise you’re stuck with the same old stuff for sequels

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Gonna be really hilarious when we get to Moana 2 and Disney is already basically guaranteed as the top grossing studio in the domestic market with just 3 movies for the year.Β 

There will be other films included in it from Searchlight and 20th as well as rereleases from Star Wars/Pixar this year. That said I could easily see Inside Out 2, Deadpool 3 and Moana 2 total being bigger than any other studios total (can't see Warner, Uni or Sony making more than $1.5B this year)

15 minutes ago, TMP said:

When Mufasa outgrosses sonic 3, no-one will be shocked outside the residents of BOT

Mufasa is tracking 150M OW at one of tracking service. Non serious service but it is one whom people pay money to.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Legion Again said:

Frankly speaking elemental numbers aren’t really fine for originals. The legs saved some face there but 14M tickets is not where it’s at the way Pixar budgets these things. Need to be getting more like 200-350 from originals in order to then lean on their sequels to be big hits, otherwise you’re stuck with the same old stuff for sequels

I do think streaming (in terms of capturing a very large post theatrical audience) could allow for growth of sequels even if they are not as watched in theatres but can't be sure without something like an Encanto 2 or Elemental 2 to give that validation.Β 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Potiki said:

There will be other films included in it from Searchlight and 20th as well as rereleases from Star Wars/Pixar this year. That said I could easily see Inside Out 2, Deadpool 3 and Moana 2 total being bigger than any other studios total (can't see Warner, Uni or Sony making more than $1.5B this year)

The Numbers counts Fox stuff seperately (PotA and Aliens Romulus being their big ones this year), though disney does have the Luca, Turning Red and Soul re-releases that did a combined 3.7mil.

5 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Mufasa is tracking 150M OW at one of tracking service. Non serious service but it is one whom people pay money to.

Even a 1b decrease still gets Mufasa to 650m. Seriously. The 2019 film was HUGE. it’s also the highest grossing animated opening of all time domestically easily. I have the numbers for Mufasa at 95-100m opening and 360m with Aquaman 2 legs, maybe 940-960m WW. I could be massively wrong but holiday legs can be absolutely ridiculous

Edited by AnthonyJPHer

Just now, Ledmonkey96 said:

The Numbers counts Fox stuff seperately (PotA and Aliens Romulus being their big ones this year), though disney does have the Luca, Turning Red and Soul re-releases that did a combined 3.7mil.

Yeah I'm not sure why The Numbers separates Disney and 20th, Searchlight I kinda get (same with Focus/Uni) but not something like New Line and Warner, does seems strange. That said whenever Disney touts box office numbers they include all their divisions.Β 

Beetlejuice has been stubbornly strong in every single metric of interest we have except trailer views (which are fine) since last year. Not ruling out 100m OW for that one.

16 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Man and I thought $40-50M would be an acceptable targetΒ πŸ’€

Β 

It is the December 20 weekend people you should not be expecting anything to open over $100M unless it’s like a Star Wars/NWH level $1B+ megahitΒ 

Which ok if that’s what you expect Mufasa to do then all power to you ig

15 minutes ago, Potiki said:

I do think streaming (in terms of capturing a very large post theatrical audience) could allow for growth of sequels even if they are not as watched in theatres but can't be sure without something like an Encanto 2 or Elemental 2 to give that validation.Β 

Yeah not an unreasonable hope I guess. Very well legged and received middling gross originals (like elemental and encanto) have more potential there

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Beetlejuice has been stubbornly strong in every single metric of interest we have except trailer views (which are fine) since last year. Not ruling out 100m OW for that one.

Β 

you talking about all the tiktok edits of it ive been seeing?