Eric is Quiet

Weekend Thread (6/21-23)

I know this seems weird to think but I almost don’t want IO2 catching TGM domestically. I loved both movies, and I have no reason to want to keep TGM in the top 5 other than… consistency?

This isn’t a @Brainbug and Jurassic World situation. I just… I dunno. Maybe other people here have felt this? But I get to a point where I memorize box office records, and then I keep fumbling when something new takes that place and I have to re-learn the list. For example, it took me ages to not think “top 3 grossing movies: Avatar, Titanic, The Avengers.” 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

Could see Resurrection outgrossing this in the US, especially if Latinos turn out.   

I think it's gonna be way above most expectations but the R-rated would still be an obstacle for those movies to reach those numbers 

6 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I know this seems weird to think but I almost don’t want IO2 catching TGM domestically. I loved both movies, and I have no reason to want to keep TGM in the top 5 other than… consistency?

This isn’t a @Brainbug and Jurassic World situation. I just… I dunno. Maybe other people here have felt this? But I get to a point where I memorize box office records, and then I keep fumbling when something new takes that place and I have to re-learn the list. For example, it took me ages to not think “top 3 grossing movies: Avatar, Titanic, The Avengers.” 

For me it's the opposite, records being broken and the lists changing is part of the fun. If everything stayed the same it would get stale.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Maybe not beat TGM, but I do want to see IO2 cross $700 million just so we have a new milestone for animated films. 

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

I think the hold it will have the weekend DM4 opens will confirm it one way or other. Deadpool should be plus for Inside Out being part of same studio and there is nothing of note post Deadpool. 

Yeah, remember Mario was all set for 600m finish only to have an unexpectedly weak hold against GOTG3 and ruin its hope to even come close to 600m.

• Like 1

Agree I think people are overestimating IO2 a bit.

I think 600m is best case scenario for now. Remember not only DM4 but AQP prequel too and IO2 is attracting many adults. 

I think this weekend will be like 55m-60m. For a 620m finish. 

Also ww also DM4 will impact , expecting 1.3b for now.

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Madhuvan said:

I think 600m is best case scenario for now. Remember not only DM4 but AQP prequel too and IO2 is attracting many adults. 

65-75+ million for IO2 3rd weekend is happening.

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

I think the hold it will have the weekend DM4 opens will confirm it one way or other. Deadpool should be plus for Inside Out being part of same studio and there is nothing of note post Deadpool. 

Inside Out dropped -40.7% when Minions drop.

9 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

I do agree that some people are overestimating a bit but $600M is most definitely not the best case scenario anymore.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, rihrey said:

I do agree that some people are overestimating a bit but $600M is most definitely not the best case scenario anymore.

IO2 is going $650-700+ million domestic.

Now I am seeing 625-650m for IO2. 700m is simply too high even for top-notch Pixar. If BP in 2018 opened to 200m had a 4 days long weekend of 240m, 111m second weekend and fantastic late-legs boosted by AIW need to be drag to 700m, I don’t see how IO2 can achieve that. 

41 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

It will likely surpass $500M before DM4 opens.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Now I am seeing 625-650m for IO2. 700m is simply too high even for top-notch Pixar. If BP in 2018 opened to 200m had a 4 days long weekend of 240m, 111m second weekend and fantastic late-legs boosted by AIW need to be drag to 700m, I don’t see how IO2 can achieve that. 

$625m is pretty much locked. $650m is almost assuredly occurring. 

It'll be around $480m DOM next weekend, and $550m+ after July 4th. It's happening. 

11 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Because weekends behave differently in Summer and February.

A$100M 2nd weekend in June would mean $160M+ week while $111M 2nd weekend in Feb was just $143M.

• Like 12

50 minutes ago, Migs20242 said:

Inside Out dropped -40.7% when Minions drop.

Also, Minions released on a non-holiday weekend, but DM4 is dropping on July 4th weekend, which will help the drop for IO2

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Also, Minions released on a non-holiday weekend, but DM4 is dropping on July 4th weekend, which will help the drop for IO2

expect at least maybe 40-45% 4th weekend drop for Inside Out 2.

Edited by Migs20242

We took one of my nieces for her first ever cinema experience yesterday (she’s 3 in September), and we went to Inside Out 2. 

The trailers for Moana 2 and Wicked got a bigger reaction from her than the film itself, but she seemed to have a great time considering how young she is she was pretty engaged despite a few naps. 

Afterwards she was chasing the digital posters for Wicked shouting “the witch and the princess!” And she obviously has no clue what Wicked even is. So maybe that could end up being big. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 4
  • Heart 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.