Eric Deetz

Fourth of July/Despicable Me 4 Weekend Thread | 122.61M 5-Day Opening

-33% off is a bit steeper from Monsters U (when D2 opened to the same set up) and definitely higher than TS4 in 2019... oh well, still a great number. Hopefully it holds fantastically the rest of the weekend because 35m is hard with the Wednesday number. 

Great for DM4 and my kiddos (and I) can't wait to see it in the next couple of weeks.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Sound of Hope? Is this Angel studios having yet another go (and failing again) to recreate that film from last summer? 

pay-it-forward.gif

I was kinda hoping DM4 and Inside Out 2 would do a combined billion dollars at the domestic box office which would be the first time two animated movies made $1B combined in the same calendar year. Hopefully Moana 2 can make up the difference unless both movies hold better than expected from here onwards. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

I was kinda hoping DM4 and Inside Out 2 would do a combined billion dollars at the domestic box office which would be the first time two animated movies made $1B combined in the same calendar year. Hopefully Moana 2 can make up the difference unless both movies hold better than expected from here onwards. 

I think that will likely happen with Moana 2 since that movie is likely going to break out big way. For it to happen with Despicable Me 4, it would need to gross, at least, $340-350m DOM, which...is hard but let's wait and see. 

Bought my tickets for DM4 Saturday. 

I now eat and hydrate before the movie because man, those concession prices are ridiculous.  But, I do still cave on popcorn. Not the same without that buttery goodness. 

4 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Definitely took a hit today. Let us see how rest of the weekend goes. 

Yeah , Disney will send a little better 7,7-7,8M i think , it's the same numbers as Toy Story 4 5 years ago and he makes 33M Weekend so the same drop as last weekend so with DM4 competition , it's pretty good . he could be the worst weekend drop of this career , the next two weekend will be much better .

I love these kinds of weekends. Theaters need this kind of shit. Yeah DM4 ain’t exactly cinema, but it getting $110 Million, with its low PLF ratio and number of kids tickets, actually means a lot more than something like Dune 2 getting $80 Million. Kids want candy and popcorn and soda and families will buy it; kids see trailers for upcoming stuff and perhaps get excited; some of them may even get the theater bug and start asking their parents to go more. Etc etc. Please BOT, no doom or gloom this weekend, this is good :) 

• Like 13
  • Heart 1

"DM4" and "IO2" numbers are making "Garfield" Domestic total look so weak.  Luckily they kept the budget in check and the OS numbers saved it. Families in the US just didn't connect with it on the  same level as the other two are doing.  Sure they are bigger films but Garfield has been out longer than both of them.  As for "DM4", I already accepted it wasn't beating "IO2" but it needed a consistent opening and finish on par with "Rise of Gru".  It looks like it will do both.  

Posted (edited)

It's really weird to expand Kinds of kindness on 4julyhollidays. It's like Saltburn on Thanksgiving all over again . And that was much more audience-friendly 

Edited by cinema pal

28 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

"DM4" and "IO2" numbers are making "Garfield" Domestic total look so weak.  Luckily they kept the budget in check and the OS numbers saved it. Families in the US just didn't connect with it on the  same level as the other two are doing.  Sure they are bigger films but Garfield has been out longer than both of them.  As for "DM4", I already accepted it wasn't beating "IO2" but it needed a consistent opening and finish on par with "Rise of Gru".  It looks like it will do both.  

Tbh IF made Garfield look bad, really surprised (in a bad way) it couldn’t make over $100M DOM

Posted (edited)

Garfield should've kept its original February date. Would've been mutually beneficial to everyone and I seriously doubt the extra three months made a difference to its "artistic integrity"

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 2

Despicable Me 4 looking to be more Despicable Me 3 than Minions as expected but still posting big numbers.

Maybe one day Angel Studios will make a movie I would be interested in watching. But that day is not today.