AniNate

7/12 weekend thread: Longlegs $22.4m, To the Moon $9.4m

Not gonna lie, I’d be a tad disappointed with “only” 7M true Friday for Longlegs given how it’s been performing around here.

5 minutes ago, Eric Onion said:

You have no idea how scared I was when I saw this GIF, thinking it would show...well...

LOL. Yeah I thought that but figured the GIF is not able to go that far. I made sure it did not

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Show what

I find it hilarious that scene was considered so controversial in the 1990s considering this was sex tape star Pamela Anderson's  weekly cable TV intro shot on Baywatch at basically the exact time:

vuelven-los-90-pamela-anderson-estara-en

Edited by excel1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Mulder said:

Longlegs is absolutely going to fall off a cliff after this weekend, it's way too arthouse and weird for the GA, but for a movie released by Neon with a projected budget of 10 million, that 20+ million OW is crazy impressive no matter what.

Agreed. I felt that Longlegs was a neat film, but everyone in the theater I went to was trashing it on the way out. Weaker audience reception will absolutely chop its legs off.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

That this is about to be in Neon's top 3 over the weekend in the studio's 7 years of existence is impressive enough on its own.

Yeah, these kind of opening weekend breakouts from non-major studios are few and far between these days; the only other ones that come close post-COVID are I guess Crunchyroll with Demon Slayer (did Sony own them yet?) and uh, Angel Studios with Sound of Freedom. 

I'm also amazeed that despite "A24 horror" being a whole thing that most cinephiles recognize, this is handedly out-opening every A24 horror film ever. Heck it's out-opening every A24 film period outside of Civil War, and that had a super-wide release with premium screens. 

13 minutes ago, JonathanMB said:

Yeah, these kind of opening weekend breakouts from non-major studios are few and far between these days; the only other ones that come close post-COVID are I guess Crunchyroll with Demon Slayer (did Sony own them yet?) and uh, Angel Studios with Sound of Freedom. 

I'm also amazeed that despite "A24 horror" being a whole thing that most cinephiles recognize, this is handedly out-opening every A24 horror film ever. Heck it's out-opening every A24 film period outside of Civil War, and that had a super-wide release with premium screens. 

Marketing. A24 never did any campaign remotely as good as the one for Longlegs.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Kon said:

I'm a little surprised the prediction for this weekenf is "only" 20M after a 10M Friday.

Because Friday is $6.75 minus previews. You multiple that - usually around 2.6-2.8 for horror O/WE then add the previews of $3.25m for the w/e estimate.

• Like 2

Midsommar got good legs with a C+, Hereditary great legs with a D+, The Witch great legs with a C-

C+ for Longlegs is probably fine considering the movie is more in line with an A24 title than a big studio horror flick, so the comparissons here should be with all these ´´indie´´ horror movies with similar or worse grades that still performed well.

I think it´ll have decent legs, 2.6 - 2.8x OW and 55-65M total

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Midsommar got good legs with a C+, Hereditary great legs with a D+, The Witch great legs with a C-

C+ for Longlegs is probably fine considering the movie is more in line with an A24 title than a big studio horror flick, so the comparissons here should be with all these ´´indie´´ horror movies with similar or worse grades that still performed well.

I think it´ll have decent legs, 2.6 - 2.8x OW and 55-65M total

Honestly, the most important thing about Longlegs' opening this high (hoping it stays within that $20M range) is that it continues to show that original horror movies can still break out. You just gotta have fantastic buzz and an amazing marketing campaign that appeals to the prime demographic that goes to see horror movies in the theater. If you got all of that, you're good. 

Almost all of the horror movies this year (Night Swim, Imaginary, The First Omen, etc.) didn't have either good reviews, a strong marketing campaign, or even just great trailers compared to Longlegs or past horror breakouts of the past few years like Smile, M3GAN, The Black Phone (wasn't sold as based on a short story), etc. 

We'll see how the rest of the horror genre does for the remainder of the year, but between A Quiet Place: Day One opening to a franchise-best number and Longlegs achieveing four times of what was the previous opening weekend record for NEON as a distributor, horror is back to being one of the few genres that can breathe successful originals as much as successful sequels/IPs. 

Edited by Ryan C
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

Honestly, the most important thing about Longlegs' opening this high (hoping it stays within that $20M range) is that it continues to show that original horror movies can still break out. You just gotta have fantastic buzz and an amazing marketing campaign that appeals to the prime demographic that goes to see horror movies in the theater. If you got all of that, you're good. 

Almost all of the horror movies this year (Night Swim, Imaginary, The First Omen, etc.) didn't have either good reviews, a strong marketing campaign, or even just great trailers compared to Longlegs or past horror breakouts of the past few years like Smile, M3GAN, The Black Phone (wasn't sold as based on a short story), etc. 

We'll see how the rest of the horror genre does for the remainder of the year, but between A Quiet Place: Day One opening to a franchise-best number and Longlegs achieveing four times of what was the previous opening weekend record for NEON as a distributor, horror is back to being one of the few genres that can breathe successful originals as much as successful sequels/IPs. 

The First Omen got great reviews for horror actually... pretty much the same type of reviews of A Quiet Place : Day One in both MC and RT. But yes, the marketing was abysmal, it makes it looks like a bad movie. 

Besides that i agreed with everything. Horror is a very reliable genre, constantly cheap with a very loyal group of lovers, but it have to be interesting. Studios can´t produce these things and throw at people expecting them to pay for it. 

Longlegs will be a genuine success. I´m excited about the next few months, i think Trap, Cuckoo, Alien Romulus, The Substance, Nosferatu, Terrifier 3 and Nightbitch all can surprise if they´re good like they looks like.

• Like 1