AniNate

7/12 weekend thread: Longlegs $22.4m, To the Moon $9.4m

Fly Me to the Moon's low IM can clearly be attributed to the preview numbers being rolled into the Friday one. Similar situation to what happened with The Bikeriders a few weeks back.

58 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I’m kind of amazed at that DM4 hold as the movie really isn’t all that.  Doesn’t seem to matter much to this franchise. Storming to $300 million domestic. 

None of the Despicable Me movies are all that, and they still make billions. You can have a bunch of Minions play Go Fish for 90 minutes and the masses will still turn up to it like robots.

• Like 3

Exceptional opening for Longlegs, i’m thrilled for Cage and especially Maika, both deserved a hit. Parasite is probably going down as the Neon biggest movie. This only needs 2.4x or so to get there and historically these type of horror movies have good legs despite low CS. 

• Like 2

DM4 locked for +300M. It can get to 350M, even if it’s more likely to die with 330-ish. 

OS seems very health as well, probably another 900M grosser for this franchise.

IO2 seems to be heading to 1.6B indeed.

Finally some relief for theaters this year

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Eric Onion said:

None of the Despicable Me movies are all that, and they still make billions. You can have a bunch of Minions play Go Fish for 90 minutes and the masses will still turn up to it like robots.

I just keep saying it's good for the theaters, which is what we say we want, to have that foot traffic of families buying concessions and stuff, but I would see IO2 100 times before I watch DM 4 even once.

12 minutes ago, Eric Onion said:

I might actually watch it if that were the movie

• Haha 3

I saw DM4 with my kids and thought it was pretty decent honestly. I found all the subplots to be entertaining for the most parts, and a lot of the gags were more creative then some of the past couple entries

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

It goes without saying, but wow. That’s an incredible opening for an indie studio/film. 

So glad that this film was a surprise breakout. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Godzilla said:

Animated movies are doing great this year which is nice to see because people thought the pandemic ended them. 

There is the caveat that both of the big performers there are attached to big, known IP. And IP that hasn't been driven to the ground to boot, or at least not actively used in a while.

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

I’m kind of amazed at that DM4 hold as the movie really isn’t all that.  Doesn’t seem to matter much to this franchise. Storming to $300 million domestic. 

The 7-year gap between the last mainline Despicable Me movie and this one helped a lot, methinks. Time can heal some wounds. I imagine the Gentleminions craze propelling Minions 2 to great heights helped too.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Just for funsies, here’s a look at all the re-releases from 2022 onwards and how their OWs have all stacked up so far. I’m ignoring Fathom Events or the Spider-Man re-releases, since those are one/two-day only events. If I missed any, and I’m sure I did, please let me know.

1. Avatar: 10.53M

2. The Phantom Menace: 8.72M

3. Titanic: 6.71M

4. Spider-Man: No Way Home: 5.4M

5. Return of the Jedi: 5.1M

6. The Nightmare Before Christmas: 4.29M

7. Jaws: 2.64M

8. Jurassic Park: 1.7M

9. Hocus Pocus: 1.61M

10. Alien: 1.55M

11. Shrek 2: 1.45M

12. The Lion King: 1.08M

13. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial: 1.07M

14. The Mummy: 1.03M

15. The Godfather: 0.96M

16. Turning Red: 0.58M

17. Luca: 0.56M

18. Oldboy: 0.49M

19. Soul: 0.43M

20. Amelie: 0.21M

21. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon: 0.17M

Stop Making Sense has very wonky box office with its re-release (says it opened at 856K, but also somehow made 1.48M in total that weekend? It’s weird), so I’m excluding that.

• Like 1