Eric Deetz

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE WEEKEND THREAD | 211 DOM, 233.1 OS, 444.1 WW | Disney does it again!

2 minutes ago, Joyous Legion said:

I mean we could parlay like 220 into just scraping 600 but I would guess will be more 205-215 into 550-600

If it beats Jurassic World that will be biggest Summer OW and give MCU all 4 seasons with AEG, DPW, BP2, NWH  

Hide contents

Though aeg is a bit messy for BO seasons 

MCU

Biggest Feb, April, May, July, November, December OW

• Astonished 1

Yeah it was a bad release date for Twisters. Kicking of the summer would have been great but it was probably not finished yet and people would have complained about the terrible VFX. Switching it with DM4 would have been the better move but they did not. Still  It  has overperformed massively what most of thought even a week and a half a go. It is going in to the weekend with about 120 m and based on that thursday should still do over 30 million with a strong saturday and sunday. 

Deadpool & Wolverine is playing like Spider-Man: No Way Home on a smaller scale. Bringing back Jackman ended up being a genius move in keeping what could've become a diminishing returns series fresh IMO (Dafne Keen's appearance in the film was likely revealed a week ago because she attended the premiere earlier this week and they wanted those "then/now" photos alongside Jackman from Logan to go viral).

4 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Zootopia and Inside Out 1 grossed the same-ish domestically, if Inside Out 2 can do $650M+ then Zootopia 2 can do $600M+

Maybe, but you can have films that do similarly while having wildly different sequel outcomes. I guess the question is, has Zootopia aged as well in the past 8-9 years as Inside Out? Is Zootopia ripe for a sequel the same way IO was, and is WDAS quality control  reliable right now? Is it possible that audiences find the topic about human mind and coming of age earlier to connect with than what Zootopia is offering.

I'd be happy if Zootopia does $600M+ DOM, just think there are other factors to consider, and I think Moana 2's performance is gonna be pretty telling actually.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

but what will disney do when they see these takings of a rated R movie?

did you find out that they make money like this too, Mickey Mouse?

Filoni did seem open to the idea of an R rated Star Wars project...

Edited by SpiderByte

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Deadpool & Wolverine is playing like Spider-Man: No Way Home on a smaller scale. Bringing back Jackman ended up being a genius move in keeping what could've become a diminishing returns series fresh IMO (Dafne Keen's appearance in the film was likely revealed a week ago because she attended the premiere earlier this week and they wanted those "then/now" photos alongside Jackman from Logan to go viral).

Imo this is waaaaaaay more impressive. Because No Way Home had every single villain and every single Spider-Man added on whereas this is just Wolverine. And it was PG-13.

Edited by HummingLemon496
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, NCsoft said:

Maybe, but you can have films that do similarly while having wildly different sequel outcomes. I guess the question is, has Zootopia aged as well in the past 8-9 years as Inside Out? Is Zootopia ripe for a sequel the same way IO was, and is WDAS quality control  reliable right now? Is it possible that audiences find the topic about human mind and coming of age earlier to connect with than what Zootopia is offering.

I'd be happy if Zootopia does $600M+ DOM, just think there are other factors to consider, and I think Moana 2's performance is gonna be pretty telling actually.  

61ZkaCujGrL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

Yeah, but they probably would've started spreading once Furiosa bombed on Memorial Day weekend. 

You know what, I wouldn't be surprised if there are still people out there who believe that "Cinema is done" especially now with a Marvel movie opening to potentially over $200M. 

They will Say cinema IS done when it passes Oppenheimer 

32 minutes ago, Selma said:

Wonder how reactions in twitter will be when it passes both joker and Oppenheimer 

You’ve probably given more thought into this than the people who you are talking about. Stop getting off to imagining random people getting mad about something they won’t get mad about

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 9
  • Knock It Off 1

I saw 10 trailers at my Deadpool screening last night: (yes. 10.)

Speak No Evil

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice

Wicked

Venom

Joker 

Borderlands

Gladiator 

Mufasa

Captain America

Alien

By the time we got to the Mufasa trailer people were starting to groan. A few people perked up for Joker and Beetlejuice, so maybe that's a good sign for both of those movies. Seeing the Wicked trailer before a Deadpool movie was odd.

Edited by Skim Beeble

18 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

Thing is, I kind of understood it with The Fall Guy. It was the type of movie that people say they want, but didn't show up and it not doing well  can definitely feed into the whole "cinema is dead" narrative. 

If you take out the fact that Furiosa contributed to the lowest Memorial Day weekend in almost 30 years, I don't really see how it would fit into that narrative. As much as we all wanted it to do well, it was just a movie that no one wanted to see. 

Thank God the narrative around the box office has changed though. Couldn't be happier. 

In Furiosa's case, many people have a lot of (misplaced) expectatives on that franchise and the character. So, they were just extremely surprised when that movie box office failed miserably.

Edited by Kon

Because of the strikes and post production, moving Twisters up to May was never an option for Universal, The Fall Guy got moved to May because it was completed before the strikes and Universal saw an opportunity to get the usual first weekend in May slot that Disney normally has a hold on.

This is been a strong summer for Disney, KOTOPOTA did good business, IO2 did exceptional business and now D&W is doing exceptional business and they still have Alien Romulus in August.

Edited by Jonwo

Twisters is still in a position for a +$35m weekend if it follows Jason Bourne's daily patterns. It actually does still compare favorably to the Monday and I think there may indeed have been a rush to get the last of the PLF in on Wednesday which made the Thursday drop look worse.

5 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

You’ve probably given more thought into this than the people who you are talking about. Stop getting off to imagining random people getting mad about something they won’t get mad about

Like, why wouldn't Deadpool and Wolverine pass Oppenheimer. Literally a year ago everybody would say of course, even post opening.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Because of the strikes and post production, moving Twisters up to May was never an option for Universal, The Fall Guy got moved to May because it was completed before the strikes and Universal saw an opportunity to get the usual first weekend in May slot that Disney normally has a hold on.

This is been a strong summer for Disney, KOTOPOTA did good business, IO2 did exceptional business and now D&W is doing exceptional business and they still have Alien Romulus in August.

And they're likely going to end 2024 strong with Moana and Mufasa. Good comeback year following an underwhelming 2023.