Eric Deetz

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE WEEKEND THREAD | 211 DOM, 233.1 OS, 444.1 WW | Disney does it again!

I don't think it's fair to dog people for "cautiously optimistic" predictions. Deadpool 2 made $730mil worldwide and a prediction for around that vicinity for a sequel was rational at the time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Imo this is waaaaaaay more impressive. Because No Way Home had every single villain and every single Spider-Man added on whereas this is just Wolverine. And it was PG-13.

Yes the Electro, Lizard and Sandman fandoms were such untapped bases that added 400M to WW total by themselves 😕

In all seriousness though, this is a duo movie. NWH was inarguably Holland Spidey's movie and only his movie with supports and antagonists.

Not saying what D&W is doing isn't impressive but it isn't MORE impressive than NWH

11 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I don't think it's fair to dog people for "cautiously optimistic" predictions. Deadpool 2 made $730mil worldwide and a prediction for around that vicinity for a sequel was rational at the time.

With Wolverine added, no it wasn't. 

And the post said it would make less b/c CBMs were on the slide.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Imo this is waaaaaaay more impressive. Because No Way Home had every single villain and every single Spider-Man added on whereas this is just Wolverine. And it was PG-13.

NWH had to compete against COVID and didn't have China (would've been huge there).

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Agreed. Marvel and the superhero genre in general had the worst year imaginable in 2023. It's not unreasonable that people were pessimistic.

I always find overly confident predictions to be pretty funny, but it also comes with the territory of discussing box office.

52 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

All MCU 200+ openers

Avengers - 207

Black Panther - 202

Infinity War - 257

Endgame - 357

No Way Home - 260

Deadpool 3 - 205+

3/3 250+ and 6/9 200+, Dece I guess

2 minutes ago, vafrow said:

Agreed. Marvel and the superhero genre in general had the worst year imaginable in 2023. It's not unreasonable that people were pessimistic.

I always find overly confident predictions to be pretty funny, but it also comes with the territory of discussing box office.

Not the worst possible.  Marvel still had GOTG 3 and 3 CBM made it into the top 8 Domestic - even the reviled AM3.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I think back to that whole Inside Out 2 thing. Yes, pre covid maybe it's easier to assume the movie would make that huge gross it ended up making, but before it came out there was every reason to be trepidatious that the audience that existed before was still there now.

• Like 2

D&W opening above $190m without the under 17 (mostly besides theaters not giving af) crowd able to buy tickets is pretty crazy. The actual film isn't really bold but hope this leads to some bold R rated films from the MCU. A breath of fresh air is definitely needed. 

2 hours ago, AniNate said:

Christmas release will definitely help Mufasa, it's more grandparent friendly than Sonic

Problem is there are alternatives for the Family Holiday movie thing.

All I can say if you are doing a prequeld or sequel to a classic film, you really, really, need to bring your A game to it.

30 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Weren’t most people on here saying the same thing 6 months ago?

I mean...yeah, I probably would have said the same thing this guy on Reddit said months ago. Because yeah. Comic book movies are on a downslide in popularity. They've been on a decline for a couple years now. I can see a scenario where people saw Wolverine's casting as "desperate". I know I certainly felt that way. And heck, if we really want to get into the brass tax, everybody thought Guardians 3 missing a billion or 400M domestically was seen as ludicrous. It could never happen in a million years. Marvel was too strong for something like that to happen. I saw those predictions myself. And wouldn't you know it? Despite it having everything seemingly going for it, that didn't happen.

I don't think we need to get all dramatic and angry because somebody made a "wrong prediction". It's not like you guys made "wrong predictions" before, right?

• Like 6