CJohn

SPECTRE | 11/6/15 | Final Trailer on Page 126! | Twitter reactions coming in, STID 2.0?

Spent the last few days re-watching The Bonds from 1962-71. God, I love this series.

1. From Russia with Love (So much awesomeness. Peak Connery at Peak Magnificence with Peak Rug. Tatiana is one of the finest. Karim Bey is the best Bond ally. RED GRANT.)

2. Goldfinger (Might be the most fun, though the whole turning a lesbian thing is pretty icky. Connery's Rug is still top-notch.)

3. Dr. No (Da original. Best Connery Rug. Best Felix Leiter. Sylvia Trench.)

4. On Her Majesty's Secret Service (Second act really drags when he's Hilary Bray. That said, it's beautifully shot, Lazenby is decent and John Barry's best score. DIANA RIGG, DIANA RIGG and DIANA RIGG. Best Bond girl. Apologies to Eva.)

5. Diamonds Are Forever (Campy as hell, but I've got a special place in my heart for it. Love Wint and Kidd. Plus, Connery actually seems to be putting SOME effort into it. Plus, decent Rug.)

6. You Only Live Twice (Weak Rug, but Best Bond Song Ever. Ken Adam's sets are crazy. The movie ends up being predicated on Connery passing as Japanese. Doesn't QUITE work. Also, Donald Pleasence's Blofeld is lame.)

7. Thunderball (Largo is a feeble villain. Connery's Rug is at its weakest and those TEDIOUS underwater scenes. It's not awful, but it feels 20 minutes longer than it is, which is already overlong.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

For both movies he's written Thomas Newman music and not really Bond music.

Fortunately I love Newman's sound so I've really come around. Took a while with Skyfall but I really like Spectre already.

I never knew that Newman's Skyfall score was so divisive. I thought it was one of the best things about Skyfall. 'Tennyson' is masterful:

https://youtu.be/Aoa9Y1DGzYQ?list=PLJ4encsixJEIbaQFkYxzpCOKyr9Vlza7E

Edited by solaris
  • Like 1

I discovered Bond when I was 9, right before GoldenEye was released. I enjoyed it for the same reasons her son likes it. It's a cool dude kicking the villains' asses. You grow up and quickly understand the sexism is wrong. Unless your kid is fucked from the start, he's not gonna treat women like crap because he liked Bond growing up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1