CJohn

SPECTRE | 11/6/15 | Final Trailer on Page 126! | Twitter reactions coming in, STID 2.0?

SPECTRE is getting a mixed reaction from the Bond fans. As for box office it will do very well, but probably not quite reach SKYFALL numbers;SKYFALL sort of had a perfect storm going for it,SPECTRE does not.

BTW, I fnally heard the SPECTRE theme song, and it sucks. NOt quite as bad as the QOS theme song, but right down there .

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

SPECTRE is getting a mixed reaction from the Bond fans. As for box office it will do very well, but probably not quite reach SKYFALL numbers;SKYFALL sort of had a perfect storm going for it,SPECTRE does not.

BTW, I fnally heard the SPECTRE theme song, and it sucks. NOt quite as bad as the QOS theme song, but right down there .

In a lot of ways there's a perfect storm of the opposite nature for this movie. I can see it doing worse than any of our expectations. Marketing has been a shell of Skyfall's brilliant campaign, reviews are ho-hum, all anyone wants to talk about is Star Wars right now, and besides that MJ2 and TGD could be dominating the box office by Thanksgiving giving it virtually no opportunity for legs. If this doesn't at least open within earshot of Skyfall, I'd expect the worst. 

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

In a lot of ways there's a perfect storm of the opposite nature for this movie. I can see it doing worse than any of our expectations. Marketing has been a shell of Skyfall's brilliant campaign, reviews are ho-hum, all anyone wants to talk about is Star Wars right now, and besides that MJ2 and TGD could be dominating the box office by Thanksgiving giving it virtually no opportunity for legs. If this doesn't at least open within earshot of Skyfall, I'd expect the worst. 

It's James Bond. That's all the audience need to know. What is there for people to talk about? It's not like the 1980s or 1990s when Bond was overshadowed by other action genre movies. The reviews are in the same ballpark as Avatar. There is huge goodwill from Skyfall. I don't see it doing badly in comparison.   

• Like 1

On Tuesday, January 15, 2013 8:21:18, Luiz Nando said:

I

For some reason, this damn new system insists on keeping the above quote whenever I try to reply to topic.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see the upcoming bidding war for 007. It comes down to which studio will be willing to write the biggest check. MGM is trying to become  a real studio again,so a studio willingness to finiance MGM projects might be nearly as important as the outright terms for Bond.

Question might be if Rothman is willing to loosen up his tight fist to keep SONY's #1 franchise;he will have to give EON/MGM a better deal then they have now.

Warners might be the main competition;they have the DC franchise and the Potter Fantastic Beasts spinoffs,but have been notcibly unsucessful in launching any other franchises, "Pan" having been a miserable failure in that regard. A proven popular franchise might prove very tempting.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, angeldelmito said:

Do you guys still think it has a chance at hitting 1 bil? Since the reviews are a little bit mixed, do you think it will affect the overall WW gross in the end?

I can see it going as low as  200 DOM, so yeah it could miss 1b WW. That will require a worst case scenario DOM though, so probably will make 1b.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, angeldelmito said:

Do you guys still think it has a chance at hitting 1 bil? Since the reviews are a little bit mixed, do you think it will affect the overall WW gross in the end?

Well, Skyfall did 1.1B WW. And it only made $59M in China. Critical reception aren't really the ones that matters the most. It's more about what audiences think about it.

And China could see a bit of an increase with this.....but it depends on what kind of action-film this is. If it's more action-oriented than the last one....more cash from China.

So yeah...i think it could do $1B WW, again, even if it does drop, DOM-wise, like to 255-265M.

If the UK opening is anything to go by (which I admit it probably isn't - Bond has always been a beast in the UK), scoring a big opening shouldn't be an issue. Sticking with a $90/$250 prediction - still a great result for a Bond film. 

WW I think it might just be able to scrape that billi.