Krissykins

Weekend thread August 16th-18th Alien Romulus $6.5m previews

Honestly, I’m kind of happy that IEWU is turning into a global blockbuster, simply for the fact that I want to see more book adaptations!! These movies don’t cost a ton to make, and they can be profitable! Studios… don’t just make expensive CGI blockbusters! I know these movies don’t count as “original” but since a large portion of the moviegoing audience aren’t avid readers, this can give them something that resembles an original story.

Plus, I just love books lol. More books! More book adaptations! I’m a teacher lol, I just want people to read.

• Like 8
  • Heart 2

6 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Like I’ve been saying since forever:

It’s unhealthy to the box office and unrealistic to the MCU to expect all to break into $1B WW. 

Captain America: Brave New World and Thunderbolts* are on double duty to deliver a grounded MCU film, The Fantastic Four is all about to finally make these characters work in the big screen. Mendelson has the right mindset here. 

none will reach Winter Soldier numbers. 550m ish for Cap and FF if well received. Thunderbolts will bomb 

Edited by John Marston

44 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Partly because the local fare has been doing so bad this summer. Summer isn’t great in China this year. The summer BO down by nearly half , yes HALF of 2023! And the worst in 10 years. In case people are panicking about 15% down of the summer BO here in NA.

That probably provide some breathing room for Hollywood  this year and they are doing better this summer.

Interesting.

14 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Honestly, I’m kind of happy that IEWU is turning into a global blockbuster, simply for the fact that I want to see more book adaptations!! These movies don’t cost a ton to make, and they can be profitable! Studios… don’t just make expensive CGI blockbusters! I know these movies don’t count as “original” but since a large portion of the moviegoing audience aren’t avid readers, this can give them something that resembles an original story.

Plus, I just love books lol. More books! More book adaptations! I’m a teacher lol, I just want people to read.

:hahaha::hahaha:

* I was laughing at the "I just want people to read.' part just in case my having it in bold doesn't show.

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, DAJK said:

The Deadline article last week says a lot of these types of movies are being relegated to streaming. This might change that. 

• Like 1

Its such a tragedy that this box office boom will come to a brutal stop at Labor Day Weekend ... when (hopefully) an asteroid manifests itself in the atmosphere and crushes every theater that plays Inside Out 2 or Deadpool and Wolverine ...

• Haha 13
  • Astonished 3

26 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

What’s the reason Deadpool and Wolverine are having so strong weekends jump? Over 50% sat jump is great 

Maybe because it's a movie for kids and teenagers? Despite the R rating.

28 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Like I’ve been saying since forever:

It’s unhealthy to the box office and unrealistic to the MCU to expect all to break into $1B WW. 

Captain America: Brave New World and Thunderbolts* are on double duty to deliver a grounded MCU film, The Fantastic Four is all about to finally make these characters work in the big screen. Mendelson has the right mindset here. 

For 714M be considered a big hit, the budget have to be grounded as well

Didn’t the next Captain cost 375M? It have to do a billion minimum. 

When studios bring their tentpole budgets back to 150-170M, then people will accept 600-700M as big hits.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, John Marston said:

none will reach Winter Soldier numbers. 550m ish for Cap and FF if well received. Thunderbolts will bomb 

If you think F4 movie that has been hyped for years and now will probably have something linked to RDJ is doing 550M during summer when it’s well received… yeah no chance. 550M if it’s bad like ant-man 3 level 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

September should be fine. Beetlejuice Beetlejuice will easily make over 100M DOM, last year we had no Sept releases hitting that mark. And at least one of Transformers One or Wild Robot will also hit that mark.

I don’t see Wild Robot making less than Bad Guys. I know my last post was about how much I love books, but I hadn’t heard of the Wild Robot before starting to work in schools and it’s really damn popular. Younger kids asking about it all the time, we don’t have enough in stock, my friend is a manager at the Canadian equivalent of Barnes & Noble and they can’t keep it on the shelves either.

If the movie is great (HTTYD quality) I’d argue that the sky’s the limit. But Transformers will absolutely hurt it, I do think that that putting those two movies together was a boneheaded move.

8 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Its such a tragedy that this box office boom will come to a brutal stop at Labor Day Weekend ... when (hopefully) an asteroid manifests itself in the atmosphere and crushes every theater that plays Inside Out 2 or Deadpool and Wolverine ...

That’s… that’s something a person says 

cause that’d be the only thing that would stop the death of the dinosaurs. Which is ironic

4 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

September should be fine. Beetlejuice Beetlejuice will easily make over 100M DOM, last year we had no Sept releases hitting that mark. And at least one of Transformers One or Wild Robot will also hit that mark.

I'm thinking Beetlejuice is an easy 200m DOM grosser, maybe 280m

I’m actually impressed with how strong September-December look. Like if everything over performs in November and December we could 2 billion dollar months. 

• Like 2

Next weekend could be interesting. Unless Romulus has a better hold than it seems like it will right now or either the Crow or Blink Twice really surprise, nothing will do over 20 m. But it should still be a solid weekend overall with how well movies have been holding. The real question is can DP and W retake number one. It has taken it's PLF hit and obv has way more GA/Casual appeal than Romulus. I could see it doing in the 17-20 range and Romulus doing the same. Gonna be interesting.

5 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

If you think F4 movie that has been hyped for years and now will probably have something linked to RDJ is doing 550M during summer when it’s well received… yeah no chance. 550M if it’s bad like ant-man 3 level 

No Marvel original has broken $500M since 2019 and none of the previous FF movies have lit the BO on fire, I see no reason for this to be different. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Next weekend could be interesting. Unless Romulus has a better hold than it seems like it will right now or either the Crow or Blink Twice really surprise, nothing will do over 20 m. But it should still be a solid weekend overall with how well movies have been holding. The real question is can DP and W retake number one. It has taken it's PLF hit and obv has way more GA/Casual appeal than Romulus. I could see it doing in the 17-20 range and Romulus doing the same. Gonna be interesting.

I’m sure Alien will hold well. I guess we’ll see with the weekday numbers but it’s an R-Rated film in late August, I imagine it’ll hold decently despite schools coming back. And WOM isn’t toxic

6 minutes ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

That’s… that’s something a person says 

cause that’d be the only thing that would stop the death of the dinosaurs. Which is ironic

I'm thinking Beetlejuice is an easy 200m DOM grosser, maybe 280m

I’m actually impressed with how strong September-December look. Like if everything over performs in November and December we could 2 billion dollar months. 

And that would mean beating 2023. Then we have 2025 which I think could reach pre-pandemic levels.

• Like 1