Krissykins

Weekend thread August 16th-18th Alien Romulus $6.5m previews

All jokes aside, those are some extremely impressive legs for IO2 and D&W. And it (again) shows that even the box office market of 2024 can easily support two mega-blockbusters alongside other big hits if those movies are appealing enough to moviegoers and of good (or at least entertaining) quality.

• Like 6
  • Heart 1

7 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

For 714M be considered a big hit, the budget have to be grounded as well

Didn’t the next Captain cost 375M? It have to do a billion minimum. 

When studios bring their tentpole budgets back to 150-170M, then people will accept 600-700M as big hits.

That’s not how Marvel Studios as a mega franchise operates. It isn’t just another franchise, it’s simply operating at a different level. When we are talking about about the MCU, we are talking about about all the films that came before and all the films that came later. It’s similar to Gunn’s Superman in the sense that the investment isn’t really the film itself, but setting up that world. 

The MCU isn’t operating at same level to literally anything else, it’s beating to its own drum. I don’t like to throw numbers around based off *check notes* World of Reel, I don’t believe those true and I find alarming that people use those numbers as gospel. If there is a franchise plagued with false rumors from plot to budget costs, I don’t like creating narratives based off thin air, even more so when said reshoots are always scheduled within the film’s budget and it wasn’t longer than the usual MCU reshoots, despite wild rumors about it.

And even if the budget was inflated by reshoots, the MCU is about delivering insanely quality superhero films and establishing these characters for the years to come. If these superhero films - both from Marvel Studios and DC Studios - succeed being well received films, moving goal posts to an imaginary $1B threshold is silly and petty. That isn’t their main targets as films.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

This is a better weekend than all weekends of May. :hahaha:

But also probably the last 100m weekend after 11 straight unless something new surprise next weekend.   

4 hours ago, wildphantom said:

outside of the back slapping inside baseball of something like Deadpool, social media has never got a good thing to say about anything, let alone movies. 

As a 40 plus guy who adores Alien and Aliens, trust me, you should go and see Romulus at the theatre. It’s a blast 

Me and my wife are going next saturday 😊

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, YM! said:

The movie ends with Oppenheimer contemplating the damage he has done to the world and the likelihood of nuclear war. That’s not a happy ending.

Except that scene is set 60 years in the past and we still haven't actually had nuclear war (yeah, yeah, there are always threats) so I guess I just don't see that as such a downer ending. At least it wasn't a downer to me.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

That’s not how Marvel Studios as a mega franchise operates. It isn’t just another franchise, it’s simply operating at a different level. When we are talking about about the MCU, we are talking about about all the films that came before and all the films that came later. It’s similar to Gunn’s Superman in the sense that the investment isn’t really the film itself, but setting up that world. 

The MCU isn’t operating at same level to literally anything else, it’s beating to its own drum. I don’t like to throw numbers around based off *check notes* World of Reel, I don’t believe those true and I find alarming that people use those numbers as gospel. If there is a franchise plagued with false rumors from plot to budget costs, I don’t like creating narratives based off thin air, even more so when said reshoots are always scheduled within the film’s budget and it wasn’t longer than the usual MCU reshoots, despite wild rumors about it.

And even if the budget was inflated by reshoots, the MCU is about delivering insanely quality superhero films and establishing these characters for the years to come. If these superhero films - both from Marvel Studios and DC Studios - succeed being well received films, moving goal posts to an imaginary $1B threshold is silly and petty. That isn’t their main targets as films.

Deadpool & Wolverine just did enough money that they can offset whatever loss Captain America brings. But even if it loses money, it'll still probably be a Top 10 Box Office film next year. And despite 2023, we're all still talking about the MCU.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

I’m sure Alien will hold well. I guess we’ll see with the weekday numbers but it’s an R-Rated film in late August, I imagine it’ll hold decently despite schools coming back. And WOM isn’t toxic

A weekend of 17-20 would be a pretty good hold for a movie that only had a IM of about 2.3 from it's Preview/Friday total. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

MCU movies consistently cost 250M for a decade now, is kinda fair and easy to see action reshoots pushing it up to +350M. The rumour didn’t even come out of world of reel.

And Hollywood never made excuses for any movie or genre, they won’t start now … if any movie bombs, then it bombed. Being interconnected or having it’s goal in the future doesn’t change this.

And still, my point stands. It’s not about CA4 specifically, i just gave an example to say that people now demands billionaire grosses because the blockbusters overall now costs 250-300M instead of 150M.

Movies costing more than 200M was a rarity 15 years ago, now it’s the norm, of course the expectations would grow exponentially.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Deadpool & Wolverine just did enough money that they can offset whatever loss Captain America brings. But even if it loses money, it'll still probably be a Top 10 Box Office film next year. And despite 2023, we're all still talking about the MCU.

My feeling on BNW is that assuming it's substanially better than Quantamania and gets better WOM on that same Opening Holiday weekend it could open at say 70-90 over those 4 days compared to that movie doing 120 and leg it out to the same final total. Yeah it would lose money but they will have it baked in by that point. Of course it could be terrible be another Marvels at the Box office.

2 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I'm looking forward to Thunderbolts for two reasons: Julia Louis Dreyfuss and Florence Pugh

Florence all the way. I like Black Widow more than most people and she is the main reason. She kills it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Huge for Coraline. Puts those Disney re-releases to shame.

Actually nightmare before Christmas re-release did a pretty great 10m last year. Not sure how this re-release will run but looks like Coraline has a great chance beating Titanic's 25 years re-release total.  

If you referred to the Pixar theatrical release of Luca, Soul and Turning Red, i don't regard those as re-releases since they were never properly released in the first place.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

MCU movies consistently cost 250M for a decade now, is kinda fair and easy to see action reshoots pushing it up to +350M. The rumour didn’t even come out of world of reel.

And Hollywood never made excuses for any movie or genre, they won’t start now … if any movie bombs, then it bombed. Being interconnected or having it’s goal in the future doesn’t change this.

And still, my point stands. It’s not about CA4 specifically, i just gave an example to say that people now demands billionaire grosses because the blockbusters overall now costs 250-300M instead of 150M.

Movies costing more than 200M was a rarity 15 years ago, now it’s the norm, of course the expectations would grow exponentially.

It came from World of Reel.

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2024/6/27/captain-america-brave-new-world-has-a-budget-of-350m-375m

And it’s silly speculation with an obvious objective. NO ONE on their right mind said that Multiverse of Madness or Vol. 3 underperformed or were disappointing. That’s the ballpark I see to all the MCU and DCU project next year. Goal posting moving non sense from people on BOT going through mental gymnastics to create a narrative doesn’t have a stand in reality.

• Like 1

Cap 4 doesn’t have Steve Rogers, is following a crappy streaming show,  and the China and Korea market which were big for the original movies have shrunk. When it doesn’t make much more than 550m don’t act surprised 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Florence all the way. I like Black Widow more than most people and she is the main reason. She kills it.

I loved Black Widow too, one of my favourite MCU films. 

That’s the reason I’m looking forward to Thunderbolts. Plenty of Yelena and Red Guardian in the trailer and she’s obviously the lead. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Huge for Coraline. Puts those Disney re-releases to shame.

Looks like Twisters will pass $100m internationally after all. 

Helps that it's not on any streaming service, whereas all the Disney rereleases were still on D+