Krissykins

Weekend Thread August 23rd-25th

Zoe should be fine. The budget is allegedly on 20M.

If it opens with 8M or so, average legs would put DOM alone around 20M alone. And the reviews are pretty good, and she’s a nepobaby. 

I’m fully expecting her announcing a new movie very soon.

Edited by ThomasNicole

6 hours ago, Ryan C said:

100% agree. Pussy Island should've been the title. 

Though I think Amazon/MGM should be more at fault here. They just didn't do much to really make people aware of this movie. Outside of the trailer playing in front of almost every movie for a while, I can't see how the average person would be aware of it.

It's kind of a problem if millions of people see the trailer and then decide not to see it. I love whodunnit thrillers and I wasn't interested at all.

7 hours ago, Grand Cine said:

D&W is at 2,5M , Deadline says . I think D&W will take again the crown.

Good I hope it does beat Alien this weekend. 

• Sad 1

Blink Twice is outperforming The Crow on Vancouver Island by a pretty decent margin. I’d guess it could get to roughly equivalent of 3M true Friday here, whereas Crow essentially flatlined (doesn’t even have a single ticket sold yet for the early evening shows, and while I understand this is a walk-up movie, that’s not a good sign).

• Like 2

2024 has officially passed the 2022 Summer Box Office.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/season/?ref_=bo_nb_hm_secondarytab

Data as of Aug 23, 16:49 PDT
Year Cumulative Gross %± LY   Releases Average #1 Release                 Gross   % of Total
2024 $3,398,240,347 -       242 $14,042,315 Inside Out 2 $644,211,114 19%
2023 $4,039,466,420      +19.1% 210 $19,235,554 Barbie $612,331,509 15.2%
2022 $3,391,665,529 +94.3% 204 $16,625,811 Top Gun: Maverick $701,250,369 20.7%
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

2024 has officially passed the 2022 Summer Box Office.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/season/?ref_=bo_nb_hm_secondarytab

Data as of Aug 23, 16:49 PDT
Year Cumulative Gross %± LY   Releases Average #1 Release                 Gross   % of Total
2024 $3,398,240,347 -       242 $14,042,315 Inside Out 2 $644,211,114 19%
2023 $4,039,466,420      +19.1% 210 $19,235,554 Barbie $612,331,509 15.2%
2022 $3,391,665,529 +94.3% 204 $16,625,811 Top Gun: Maverick $701,250,369 20.7%

Should be at 3.5-3.6B for the summer by Labor Day. Better than I thought it would be on Memorial Day weekend. 

7 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Channing Tatum is great and a draw, but like everyone nowadays he's a draw with the right role and persona. Nobody wants to see lovable himbo Channing Tatum as evil tech bro billionaire or a rocket scientist. Just not the right fits this summer, even if I'm sure he's good in Blink Twice. I'm glad he did a role like this for the range and the art of it, to be clear. I'm just saying that discussions about draw power need to be nuanced.

I just would've hoped Deadpool and Wolverine would've given him some kind of bump and these comic book nerds would be interested in seeing another movie with him but nope

Kind of a rough post covid run for him with Magic Mike 3, Fly me to the moon, and probably Blink Twice after a great start with Lost City and Dog. If Fly me to the moon would've dropped the "prestige" element of faking the moon landing and had just been a charming office set romcom movie with scarjo and Channing, big hit. Also, Apple financing hurts it too

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

I just would've hoped Deadpool and Wolverine would've given him some kind of bump and these comic book nerds would be interested in seeing another movie with him but nope

Kind of a rough post covid run for him with Magic Mike 3, Fly me to the moon, and probably Blink Twice after a great start with Lost City and Dog. If Fly me to the moon would've dropped the "prestige" element of faking the moon landing and had just been a charming office set romcom movie with scarjo and Channing, big hit. Also, Apple financing hurts it too

Well, the horrible accent he had in Deadpool 3 did not help much. It was a bad French accent; nothing like a Cajun accent.\

Of course that might have been deleiberate choice for laughs.

I don';t think anybody..including Tatum..expected him to get in the MCU as Gambit with that accent.

10 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Apparently they keep Coraline and actually are expanding it? Very curious about the hold, it did great on weekdays.

You can;t really apprecitae some of the jokes in Coraline unless you are really familiar with Ashland in Oregon.

5 hours ago, Ryan C said:

I know I'm crazy, but I'm on my way to see Deadpool and Wolverine for the fourth time in a theater today. 

I just love movies!

Same. I saw it three times already, 2 in regular and the third time was in 4Dx

Blink Twice converged pretty nicely tonight at each theater I track, at 3.2-3.6M true Friday. Not sure how reflective that’ll be, or if there’s a bit of urban/west coast bump there.

The Crow lol I think ended up around 1.3-1.5M true Friday. I saw it today too. Woof. It’s about as cringe-inducing as the time one of my students asked a girl in his class to the Spring Dance by saying “can I rizz you up and be the Baby Gronk to your Livy Dunne?”

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Blink Twice converged pretty nicely tonight at each theater I track, at 3.2-3.6M true Friday. Not sure how reflective that’ll be, or if there’s a bit of urban/west coast bump there.

The Crow lol I think ended up around 1.3-1.5M true Friday. I saw it today too. Woof. It’s about as cringe-inducing as the time one of my students asked a girl in his class to the Spring Dance by saying “can I rizz you up and be the Baby Gronk to your Livy Dunne?”

Probably wishful thinking on my part, but if what you tracked ends up being true, then that would give Blink Twice an opening day of at least $4M+. Theoretically, an opening of $10M is possible. 

I don't want to set myself or anyone up for disappointment, but maybe Quorum is onto something with projecting between $10M-$13M this morning after the Thursday number came in.

• Like 1