Eric the Marxist

Labor Day Weekend Thread | Reagan 525K previews, AfrAId 400K

Alien: Romulus is gonna be at around $90M by Monday. I'm sorry but even if it's not holding that well domestically, I don't see how it doesn't make $10M for the rest of its entire domestic run after Monday. 

It should cross $100M, but it won't progress any further.

• Like 2

Twisters and DP and W really having strong Friday holds. Twisters has become a mini TG Maverick DOM at least and DP and W probably will not get to 650 DOM but it still has a slim chance. As for Romulus it blew through it's audience and good WOM did not mean anything to anybody outside of it. It happens. 

• Like 2

Yeah Alien will have a fight for that 100M Domestic. Very excited to see how it pans out either way. Thankfully we have @JimmyB to solely focus on negatives at the box office, even within the successes. That's all he does.

What I'm even curious about is Predator. I wonder...will they put a Prey 2 in theaters? A sequel to a streaming movie..

Right now, they're filming the spinoff first, Predator Badlands. That should be a no brainer for theaters, if only to see how one of these performs in theaters. Hopefully it's as good as Prey.

Edited by justnumbers
  • Like 2

Sucks that Alien didn't pull in much of the GA. It's incredible. I feel like it would be a good watch even for horror fans who haven't seen much of the prior films, but I guess it has sort of an assumption that u need to have been watching the other ones 

• Like 3

I mean in the end does DOM mean much for Romulus with how well it has done OS.  It's seems to have gotten the OS audience that Twisters did not. Twisters:Romulus would have been the perfect BO organism. 😃

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

I mean in the end does DOM mean much for Romulus with how well it has done OS.  It's seems to have gotten the OS audience that Twisters did not. Twisters:Romulus would have been the perfect BO organism. 😃

Yeah it's definitely made enough to be a success at least so that's good. I just think it had the potential for more if people had been willing to see it haha

https://deadline.com/2024/08/box-office-summer-labor-day-deadpool-wolverine-afraid-1236073792/

1.) Deadpool & Wolverine (Dis) 3,630 (-210) theaters, Fri $3.6M (-26%), 3-day $15.7M (-14%) 4-day $19M-$20M, Total $603.3M-$604.3M/Wk 6

2.) Alien: Romulus (20th/Dis) 3,120 (-795) theaters, Fri $2.2M (-51%) 3-day $9M (-45%), 4-day $11.75M Total $91.1M/Wk 3

3.) It Ends With Us (Sony) 3,551 (-288) theaters, Fri $2.1M (-45%) 3-day $7.35M (-37%), 4-day $9.5M Total $135.7M/Wk 4

4.) Reagan (Showbiz) 2,754 theaters, Fri $2.6M 3-day $7.2M 4-day $9M/Wk 1

5.) Twisters (Uni/WB) 3,005 (-201) theaters, $1.8M (+6%) 3-day $6.6M (+8%), 4-day $8.1M Total $258.9M/Wk 7

6.) Blink Twice (AMZ MGM) 3,067 theaters, Fri $1.3M (-54%), 3-day $5.2M (-28%) 4-day $6.6M, Total $17.3M/Wk 2

7.) The Forge (Sony) 1,921 (+103) theaters, Fri $1.1M 3-day $4.5M (-32%), 4-day $6.2M, Total $15.9M/Wk 2

8.) Despicable Me 4 (Uni) 2,698 (+107) theaters, Fri $850K (-20%) 3-day $3.67M (-14%), 4-day $5M Total $355M/Wk 9

9.) Afraid (Sony) 3,003 theaters, Fri $1.1m 3-day $3.2M, 4-day $4M/Wk 1

9..) Coraline (Fath) 1,168 (-354) theaters, Fri $708K (-49%) 3-day $3M (-40%), 4-day $4M, Total $30.2M/Wk 3

• Like 2

Looking like about $75mil 3-day weekend overall. Not good but could've been worse. If this is the worst weekend the rest of the year I'll take it.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

Looking like about $75mil 3-day weekend overall. Not good but could've been worse. If this is the worst weekend the rest of the year I'll take it.

I mean it;s a typical labor weekend outside of last year when Equalizer 3 opened  over 30 m and in 21 when Shang Chi opened over 90  for the 4 day weekend. Those 2 movies did prove you can open big movies this weekend. 

Inside Out 2 is probably going to make around $1.2 million Saturday, and probably also on Sunday and Monday. So it will end Labor Day weekend at around $651.4 million DOM, $900,000 away from Jurassic World's total, so it will take another weekend to pass it.

8 minutes ago, justnumbers said:

That's fantastic for Coraline too.

And the fact that it’s getting over $110M+ DOM in its lifetime gross, is very impressive. The highest grossing stop motion animated film in the US, which it already is now.

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Inside Out 2 is probably going to make around $1.2 million Saturday, and probably also on Sunday and Monday. So it will end Labor Day weekend at around $651.4 million DOM, $900,000 away from Jurassic World's total, so it will take another weekend to pass it.

Jurassic World is actually at $653.4M lifetime DOM gross. That very small re-release it had in 2021, contributed to something.

• Like 1

Maybe it’s the fact that I’m in Canada, but I’ve literally seen zero advertising for Reagan. If I wasn’t on these forums I wouldn’t know it exists. 9M for the long weekend seems almost… good? If it had a “real” distributor and an ounce of marketing, I feel like that could have done pretty well.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Jurassic World is actually at $653.4M lifetime DOM gross. That very small re-release it had in 2021, contributed to something.

Does it have a chance to pass it before wild robot and transformers opening ?