Krissykins

Weekend Thread Sept 20th-22nd

8 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

The nostalgia some have for Bayformers is just why?

Because people will look at anything they saw as a child and will be nostalgic for it (granted also vulgar auteurism is the hip new thing to do). I guarantee in a few years we're going to see Seltzerberg get some sort of redemption arc and people will be talking about how Disaster Movie's a comedy classic because they saw it when they were 15 years old.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Cuz they’re funny and stupid and generally well-crafted movies.

I  will give you the first movie and Dark of the Moon but Revenge of the Fallen and Age of Extinction are terrible and I never bothered with The Last Knight.  And I am or was a big Michael Bay fan.  Bad Boys, The Rock and Armageddon are some of my favorite movies.

1 minute ago, emoviefan said:

I  will give you the first movie and Dark of the Moon but Revenge of the Fallen and Age of Extinction are terrible and I never bothered with The Last Knight.  And I am or was a big Michael Bay fan.  Bad Boys, The Rock and Armageddon are some of my favorite movies.

I don’t think I’ve seen a lot of people have nostalgia for those two. The nostalgia is mainly for 1 and 3.

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

I don’t think I’ve seen a lot of people have nostalgia for those two. The nostalgia is mainly for 1 and 3.

That's kind of the point. The nostalgia for Bay coming back is like no thank you. He was cooked by the time of the Last Knight.

• Like 1

Honestly I feel like we should've seen Transformers One underperforming once they started promoting "come see the movie and get a free poster for a movie (Sonic the Hedgehog 3) a few months away from being released." Sometimes you can just read the signs that the studio puts out there that lets us know they're aware their movie is in trouble.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

The nostalgia some have for Bayformers is just why?

Personally I'm fascinated by Michael Bay's brain and while I don't think the Transformers movies are his best work by a longshot (go check out 13 Hours and AmbuLAnce, both of which are significantly underrated), they contain enough off-the-wall shit to make them incredibly interesting watches, especially Age of Extinction and Last Knight. The first one is my least favourite just cause it's (relatively) so restrained.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Personally I'm fascinated by Michael Bay's brain and while I don't think the Transformers movies are his best work by a longshot (go check out 13 Hours and AmbuLAnce, both of which are significantly underrated), they contain enough off-the-wall shit to make them incredibly interesting watches, especially Age of Extinction and Last Knight. The first one is my least favourite just cause it's (relatively) so restrained.

The Last Knight is legit one of the most beautiful looking blockbuster in the last decade or so (if you can handle the aspect ratio changes, which were not a big deal for me). 

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

The Last Knight is legit one of the most beautiful looking blockbuster in the last decade or so (if you can handle the aspect ratio changes, which were not a big deal for me). 

Maxus.

56 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

So, what I want to know regarding TRANSFORMERS ONE is, is it good if you just want a good film and don't care about Transformers or Transformers lore? Like, is it a serviceable movie unto itself, in a bubble?

I don't think it would've reviewed as well as it did if it didn't work on its own. The fact that it's a unique origin story makes its take on Optimus and Megatron free of a lot of baggage, the latter of the two was especially a surprise and carried a pretty compelling and largely organic tale about the divide between two friends paving way to two large scale rival factions.

Edited by electride
  • Like 1