Krissykins

Weekend Thread Sept 20th-22nd

1 minute ago, Maggie said:

Today, i learned that Brad  Pitt was a producer on Bettlejuice 2. He made bank

Was shocked when I saw his name in the credits. Don't know what him and Plan B was doing over there.

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Will say it would be nice if The Wild Robot was able to turn critical acclaim into a strong opening, even though I'm thinking $30M is where it lands for now. At least to provide some positivity since it's sandwiched between what's looking to be two major underperformers.

It’s easily going past 30 mil OW and 100 mil total

1 hour ago, Unfitclock said:

Wow just 6.1 million true Friday is horrible 

What is more horrible, all holdovers seem dropping hard against this non-starter, except DW. Speaking of DW, the movie has been holding so well is a genuine surprise to me. Just like IO2, their legs are the more surprising one compared to their already mega-sized OW.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Random question: when was the last time a good movie became a box office hit in America?  

IO 2, Twisters, Beetlejuice Beetlejuice , DP and W to most people even if some people around here hate it, Dune Part 2.  But sure do your mainstream Hollywood movies all suck thing.

• Like 2

Just now, Eric Prime said:

Was shocked when I saw his name in the credits. Don't know what him and Plan B was doing over there.

Plan B was also producer on Charlie & the Chocolate Factory nearly 20 years ago so it was likely a favor to Burton. 

3 minutes ago, Lory88 said:

I feel sorry for The Substance that does the bare minimum. Even the first numbers from Europe are not encouraging. It's a hard sell, body horror is not trendy and nobody knows Coralie Fargeat (yet).

It’s doing significantly better than anyone would’ve thought when it was picked up by MUBI lol come on this is an exciting overperformance

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Sta andando decisamente meglio di quanto chiunque avrebbe pensato quando è stato acquistato da MUBI lol dai questa è una prestazione eccitante

2,000 theaters are too many. Maybe it would have been better to start with 400/500 and get a good average per theater?

I didn't see any marketing for The Substance until I got the trailer before Speak No Evil last weekend, so it's doing fine all things considered.

Speaking of which, if not for the Friday the 13th gimmick last weekend, that would be looking at a sub-40% second weekend drop. Solid hold, $30M+ total is happening.

10 minutes ago, Lory88 said:

I feel sorry for The Substance that does the bare minimum. Even the first numbers from Europe are not encouraging. It's a hard sell, body horror is not trendy and nobody knows Coralie Fargeat (yet).

Scary horror is what sells. "You're gonna be scared" is how to get people to the theatre. Gross horror is an audience repellent. 

On top of that, Deadline is right that the marketing choices didn't help sell it: 

I also hear Fargeat was very particular about the movie’s marketing campaign and had a big say. You’ll notice that Moore’s face isn’t splashed widely around in one sheets and in billboards with esoteric symbols from the film: eggs, chicken, a leotard and Moore’s stitched back. This doesn’t help sell the movie. 

52 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Random question: when was the last time a good movie became a box office hit in America?  

GXK is the only one I would count in the past year, There hasn't been a truly great movie to make money since Oppenheimer. 

Edited by WorkingonaName
  • Haha 4
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

13 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice will win true Fri-Sun considering it won True Friday by 400,000 or so. That 3.3 in total previews should give TF One the "weekend". Both movies should benefit from Sat matinee's from the family audiences.

We had a good estimation of TFone’s Friday numbers early on yesterday. Do we have those for the Saturday yet?