filmpalace

Weekend Thread | October 11 - 13

is it happening?

haven't seen it, and even though I didn't particularly like joker 1, I feel like superhero movies will end up being worse because joker 2 dropped 80% on its second weekend

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

is it happening?

haven't seen it, and even though I didn't particularly like joker 1, I feel like superhero movies will end up being worse because joker 2 dropped 80% on its second weekend

This movie is unlikely to have any repercussions on future comic book movies whatsoever because of how outside the superhero box they are. Heck, it doesn't even feature the DC logo at the beginning. That's how you know they were always aware this was doomed.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

Still not enough for it. Great movie which ahoydn't struggle like this

I mean, it hasn't really been struggling. Yes it's not gonna meet my lofty animation history-driven box office hopes but it beat industry expectations, should handily recoup its budget, and a sequel was just confirmed today. I'm sure Uni fully anticipated it was gonna be legs driven setting its release date, and that has been a strategy that has worked pretty well for them the last few years.

Edited by AniNate

What is everyone expecting from Smile 2 next weekend anyway? I would think it's different enough from Terrifier that it's unlikely to be impacted but on the other hand buzz does seem a bit on the quiet side. And even though it didn't exactly break the bank with a $42M total (nothing to sneeze at for a thriller), I can't help but wonder if Trap kind of stole its thunder a bit beating it to the punch given the similarities on the surface between them (both being centered around fictional Swift-inspired pop stars).

Main thing about Smile 2 is that I feel like Paramount hasn't bothered promoting it? Like I remember all the viral stuff when they had the creepy smilers at baseball games and stuff, and they put out a few songs that Naomi Scott's character sings, but the home stretch of marketing where you would think Paramount would put all their work into is surprisingly barren.

Just now, Eric the Clown said:

Main thing about Smile 2 is that I feel like Paramount hasn't bothered promoting it? Like I remember all the viral stuff when they had the creepy smilers at baseball games and stuff, and they put out a few songs that Naomi Scott's character sings, but the home stretch of marketing where you would think Paramount would put all their work into is surprisingly barren.

They must be saving up for the marketing campaigns for Gladiator II and Sonic 3 since they have much more riding on them (especially after Transformers underperformed). Obviously no secret the studio is cash-strapped these days.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eric the Clown said:

They are pretty much focusing on Gladiator 2 and then Sonic 3 it seems.