Mojoguy

Weekend Thread | October 18-20 | 23M SMILE | 9.3M TERRIFIER

Good weekend overall.

Heh, if Wild Robot could somehow retain $1 million holds this week, then it may reach $200 million before the weekend. At least, going off of domestic numbers.

Hoping this movie ends up with $300 million and above by the time it’s all over.

24 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I am actually quite disappointed Smile 2 didn't open higher. The first one was a WOM hit which by right, ideal situation setting up for a sequel bump but it didn't happened after all for whatever reasons. 

I think a combination of looking like more of the same, Terrifier 3 taking some of the wind out of its sails, and the absence of the DVD market that helped movies like Saw and The Ring back in the day which allowed their sequels to open higher might all be factors. 

16 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I think a combination of looking like more of the same, Terrifier 3 taking some of the wind out of its sails, and the absence of the DVD market that helped movies like Saw and The Ring back in the day which allowed their sequels to open higher might all be factors. 

I felt streaming would only help it.  Maybe it's because it's been locked in on Paramount+ and not one of the major streamers like a Netflix.  Everyone I've ever talked to loved 'Smile' as much as I did but my anecdotal evidence hasn't meant much for it's numbers. 

2 hours ago, Cooper Legion said:

By the by @M37, the top 3 adjusted Thanksgiving 5days are actually all from that era -- ts2 grinch sorcerers stones, bang bang bang all consecutive years. Will be interesting to see what breaks that trinity up after it's lasted 22 years

Edit: nvm, F2 dethroned them all and was just totally absent from the-numbers chart for mysterious reasons :hahaha:

I think those really are the next three down though, with a bar of ~125M to break them up

Honestly, that meshes with my experience. Over time, the TG holiday weekend has generally gotten weaker (fewer admissions) but Xmas through New Years has gotten stronger 

Think that is at least due in part to Christmas Creep, with more focus (shopping) on that holiday earlier in calendar, before the demand dam breaks from XMas day onward 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cooper Legion said:

By the by @M37, the top 3 adjusted Thanksgiving 5days are actually all from that era -- ts2 grinch sorcerers stones, bang bang bang all consecutive years. Will be interesting to see what breaks that trinity up after it's lasted 22 years

Edit: nvm, F2 dethroned them all and was just totally absent from the-numbers chart for mysterious reasons :hahaha:

I think those really are the next three down though, with a bar of ~125M to break them up

Those may have been the top individual films but the 2012 and 2018 Thanksgivings are actually the biggest combined with inflation adjustment. It actually had been a rather consistent frame for moviegoing in general until COVID, and even then I think the lack of interesting product was definitely a factor in both 2022 and 2023 (along with Netflix Netflixing Glass Onion, I guess)

Certainly if all three of the big movies coming out next month get the kind of buzz they're hoping for I don't think a $300 mil 5-day is out of the realm of possibility

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

Decent enough opening for Smile 2, I guess. It's unlikely to have the staying power of its predecessor, but it should still be a solid moneymaker when all is said and done.

I do wonder to what exact degree The Wild Robot might be benefitting from teenagers buying tickets to sneak into one of the big horror titles in the market (ditto for Beetlejuice Beetlejuice), but whatever the explanation for the good holds the last couple weekends, I'll take it. It's nice to see the film cross $100 million and hopefully still have a few more weekends of stellar holds ahead of it.

Terrifier 3 honestly held better than I thought it would considering the very direct competition from Smile 2. It's already a crazy-huge success story, though, so everything from here is just gravy.

I'm also honestly kinda astounded by Joker's run. We've seen movies collapsing under the weight of toxic word-of-mouth before, but this feels like it's on an entirely different level. I'm struggling to think of another case where a movie expected to be a tentpole (at least from a distance, since the writing that this one would fall off a cliff from its predecessor's numbers was very much on the wall by the time it opened) folded into low single-digit million grosses this fast.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

I'm also honestly kinda astounded by Joker's run. We've seen movies collapsing under the weight of toxic word-of-mouth before, but this feels like it's on an entirely different level. I'm struggling to think of another case where a movie expected to be a tentpole (at least from a distance, since the writing that this one would fall off a cliff from its predecessor's numbers was very much on the wall by the time it opened) folded into low single-digit million grosses this fast.

I thought the property would be too big to fail on this level, it's been a trip to see.

Edited by MOVIEGUY
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

I felt streaming would only help it.  Maybe it's because it's been locked in on Paramount+ and not one of the major streamers like a Netflix.  Everyone I've ever talked to loved 'Smile' as much as I did but my anecdotal evidence hasn't meant much for it's numbers. 

Paramount films are not exclusive P+, Smile is on hulu now and been on Prime before 

HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS made 4.6M in China this weekend. That puts the movie at 887.1M worldwide and at rank 78th, replacing ICE AGE: DAWN OF THE DINOSAURS.

HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE which was rereleased in China last weekend has now made 10.0M in the market. If it continues playing, it'll pass DESPICABLE ME III soon and finish at 48th worldwide [all time].

I just saw We Live in Time and it's definitely going to have good WOM. Thought the movie itself was only good but Garfield and Pugh are excellent in it (and have phenomenal chemistry together, they're absolutely collaborating again in the future). Tremendous actors who will definitely become eventual Oscar winners.

• Like 1

Just saw Smile 2. After the movie ended I got up as fast as possible and raced to the theater door and did my most demonic smile as people were leaving the movie. Now there's an experience that can't be replicated on streaming!

• Like 3
  • Haha 6
  • Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Just saw Smile 2. After the movie ended I got up as fast as possible and raced to the theater door and did my most demonic smile as people were leaving the movie. Now there's an experience that can't be replicated on streaming!

How did they react?

7 hours ago, AniNate said:

Those may have been the top individual films but the 2012 and 2018 Thanksgivings are actually the biggest combined with inflation adjustment. It actually had been a rather consistent frame for moviegoing in general until COVID, and even then I think the lack of interesting product was definitely a factor in both 2022 and 2023 (along with Netflix Netflixing Glass Onion, I guess)

Certainly if all three of the big movies coming out next month get the kind of buzz they're hoping for I don't think a $300 mil 5-day is out of the realm of possibility

That doesn’t seem right? 1999 sure, that was all TS2 (back in 35mm film days, when 3 prints of one movie was shocking, so capacity limited), but 2000’s Grinch led TG 5-day was ~$190M (when factoring in films that only reported a 3-day weekend total), and that has to adjust to upwards of $350, if not $400M

Maybe I’ll whip something up tomorrow

• Like 1