Mojoguy

Weekend Thread | October 18-20 | 23M SMILE | 9.3M TERRIFIER

32 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Curious what We Live in Time's previews come out to. Sales were looking pretty strong yesterday nearby.

Yeah, sales for tonight also look pretty strong already for the evening shows, especially for an original film. Was a little surprised to see the theater count is nearly 1,000, so maybe it can make a play for $3M+? And WOM seems pretty strong too (98% Verified on RT!), so hopefully their second expansion next weekend pays off.

Not really buying Terrifier having anything to do with Smile 2 probably landing right around the first. Not affecting it in a big way anyway. Presales have been nothing special for this movie from the start is what I was gathering from the tracking thread over the last weeks. I think this is just down to marketing, Paramount didn't put in any extra effort there. It's still gonna do well for itself and will be a needed win for Paramount, just wish it would've been able to hit 30 mill. Here's hoping for 25! 

Edited by wattage

Seems on par or a bit better than the first (which had a B- cinemascore).

The film is certified fresh with an 85% critics score on Rotten Tomatoes and PostTrak exits from fans last night are at 3 1/2 stars and 71% positive. Latino and Hispanic moviegoers were strong last night at 36% with Caucasians showing up at 40%, Black moviegoers at 11% and Asian American at 7%.

• Like 1

So $2.5M Thur, prob $22-$25M OW

But unlikely IMO it has same legs as original, with Venom 3 next weekend than Halloween; expecting closer to 2x OWeek than Smile’s 3x, or like $65-$80M. Significant drop from $105M, still probably enough to geneate a 3rd in the franchise, but could just peter out from here 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, M37 said:

So $2.5M Thur, prob $22-$25M OW

But unlikely IMO it has same legs as original, with Venom 3 next weekend than Halloween; expecting closer to 2x OWeek than Smile’s 3x, or like $65-$80M. Significant drop from $105M, still probably enough to geneate a 3rd in the franchise, but could just peter out from here 

Yeh I think about $60-70m too. First film was a WOM beast and had technically 5 different weekends in October, whereas this has only 2 before Halloween. 

But if it does the same overseas, it’ll be 5 x it’s budget and hopefully we get a Smile 3.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh I think about $60-70m too. First film was a WOM beast and had technically 5 different weekends in October, whereas this has only 2 before Halloween. 

But if it does the same overseas, it’ll be 5 x it’s budget and hopefully we get a Smile 3.

they should have moved TF One somewhere else and put Smile 2 on that date. The first movie had more of the fall season to take advantage of.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eric is Smiling said:

So our tracking team was very good, once again 🙂. Our range was from 2M to mostly around 2.5M. 

By the way, the Friday numbers in my (at the moment) only 3 theaters were way better than the Thursday numbers. No idea why. And other members reported the same. 

Edited by el sid
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, el sid said:

So our tracking team was very good, once again 🙂. Our range was from 2M to around 2.5M. 

By the way, the Friday numbers in my (at the moment) only 3 theaters were way better than the Thursday numbers. No idea why. And other members reported the same. 

Horror films in Fall seeing a 3x Fri/Thu ratio is not uncommon, plus it has the T-Mobile deal, which boosts the GA/weekend crowd a bit

Target here is clearing $10M for OD (including previews). But unlike the original (which again IMO had some Hurricane Ian impacts throwing off its weekend pattern), would think we get more of a flat Sat/Fri

$2.5/$7.8/$8.1/$5.1 = $23.5M OW

• Like 4